December 2014 Moms
Options

Back to work blues

ashleyv1988ashleyv1988 member
edited March 2015 in December 2014 Moms
So tomorrow is my first day back to work, I can't believe how fast three months has gone. Anyone have anything that can make me feel better? I've been crying off and on all day about leaving him behind. It's so hard I am going to miss so much.

Re: Back to work blues

• Options
    All I can do is offer hugs.  I'm in the same boat and having a rough time with it.

• Options

So tomorrow is my first day back to work, I can't believe how fast three months has gone. Anyone have anything that can make me feel better? I've been crying off and on all day about leaving him behind. It's so hard I am going to miss so much.

Going back to work can be bitter sweet but if you have been "...crying off and on all day..." maybe consider speaking with a doctor.... if you are that down I dont think anything we can say can truly make you feel better.

Test
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I cried the day before going back to work, when thinking about leaving my baby. I have no longer been crying, was looking for ways moms were coping with missing their children. But thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    I don't think you need to see a doc bc you're crying about going back to work. I have a little leave left and I feel so torn about going back. I am excited to get back to a different routine, but the GUILT...omg.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's so normal! Have you read Tina Fey's Bossypants? In it, she talks about how she has days where she feels likes crying and days when she knows she'd cry if she didn't work. All my working mom friends have days where all we want to do is play with our LOs and other days when we're so glad to have a professional outlet. From what I heard, it does get better as you get into a routine of working again. 

Hugs to you!!
  • Options
    Everyone is different in what works and what doesn't.  But I have been back at work for three weeks and I am going to be giving my two weeks notice on Monday.  It just isn't working.  I'm so exhausted and DH and I finally decided it was best.  I tried.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Oh I cried the whole week before having to go back. I'm in my 3rd week back. I HATE it. I still have mornings where I cry. But I'm working because financially we cannot afford me not to work. I'm trying to make my husband understand we CAN let go of some things (satellite tv, reduce the phone bill, etc) but we also have a lot of credit card debt. Oh and we have the lovely loan we had to take out just to have our sweet daughter (had to do IVF). The hubs works as a financial advisor and up until March had only been working on commissions so our finances have been up and down. Most of the time really down. Ugh. He now has a salary position (small salary but something regular at least!) So...really really hoping we can start to get some things paid off and regular bills cut!

I tried asking my boss if I could work from home 2 days a week (I'm in accounting so a lot of desk work). I would still take DD to daycare but on an adjusted schedule so that I would have at least a little more time with her on those days but the jerk shot that idea down. I knew it was a long shot but trying to find any way I can to still make $ but feel a little better in my heart about time I spend with my DD. And the reasons he gave for not letting me are just so stupid and selfish on his part. I am not one of those women who would miss a work/office setting. I'm 40 yrs old and have never been satisfied with a job...never really "found" a career path. Not until I became a mom. Being a caretaker for my DD and taking care of the house & chores...that is what I would LOVE to do. There are mommy groups and friends that are SAHM that I could interact with for adult time and have DD interact with other children. I am looking into work at home jobs and looking for another job where maybe they would let me work from home sometimes.

Anyways, that is my story. I pray to find peace and acceptance in my heart and mind that I have to be a work out of the home mom. I hope going back to work for you is an easier transition than it has been for me.

@pjswife Congrats on giving your notice and becoming a SAHM. I ain't gonna lie, I'm jealous of those that can do it but also so happy for whoever can because IMO it would be the best job in the world!!  
  • Options
    @vrae0606 Your post broke my heart. Since you're in accounting have you thought (I'm sure you have) about starting your own home based bookkeeping deal? I don't know where you're at but I'm in south Florida and a lot of small companies like to outsource bookkeeping, payroll, etc.? I know it's not going to render the same pay as being an accountant but...I don't know, just a thought :(
  • Options
    I cried off and on leading up to going back (went back at 9 weeks). The morning I went back several of my colleagues who are moms of young children reached out to me, offered lunch or coffee, etc. It was super helpful to know they knew what I was feeling. If you have people at your office like that and they don't reach out to you, reach out to them!

I adore LO and live for the weekends for time with him. But I have found that being in a routine and a professional setting is great for me. I could only wear yoga pants and pony tails for so long before I honestly didn't recognize myself towards the end of mat leave. I guess I'm just trying to say...try to find the positive. If you're putting your LO in care, try focusing on the great socialization & stimulation aspects, rather than the fact the s/he's being cared for my someone else.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    I agree, and that's all you really can do. I'd love to be home but we can't afford it, I wish things were different but having other moms at my work for support helps a lot.