April 2015 Moms

Horrible lower back pain?

I'm 37 weeks and 3 days pregnant and I'm having terrible lower back pain. Like I feel miserable. I was in the hospital yesterday because of other issues and they told me I'm still 3cm dilated and 90-100% effaced. I know some of you moms get upset because of things constantly being asked but I already googled this and I'm not really sure what to do. Or if I'm in labor or if it's just prelabor

Re: Horrible lower back pain?

• I can't help you know the difference but I want you to know that you are not alone. On Thursday my back hurt so bad I could not walk. The only position I was comfortable was squatting (thankfully I have a workout ball so my legs didn't get to tired.

I do believe that if it is back labor or pre labor it can be timed like contractions. I have not experienced this though to know for sure.
  • I heard that is a sign of early labor.. Especially if you're already dialated. If a warm shower or bath doesn't help them I would go back to the hospital or wait until you get really bad contractions. Good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never had like this bad back pain but I'm terrible at timing contractions! And sometimes I have constant pain so it's hard to tell when they stop and start
  • I had back labor, and it had a definite start & end. Not saying everyone is the same, but mine was very timeable with frequency increasing as time went on.
  • The night before I went into labor with my oldest I had constant back pain to wear i had to squat down on the livingroom floor for an hour. By the morning the pain stopped being constant and came with contractions.
  • Im 38 weeks + 3 I've had bad menstrual like cramps since Wednesday night. Back pain started this afternoon and got worse tonight. Is coming and going but no set pattern it length of time. Am hoping this is the start of something! I'm in Ireland and we don't get routine internal exams here until we are actually in the hospital in labour so no idea of my dilation or effacement!
  • Well I'm having it still but I took a bath and it didn't help. I really don't want to go to the hospital or call the doctor though :/
  • My back pain with my firstborn started off like menstual cramps. They started at 7:00 pm and they eventually changed to contractions around 3:00 am. My advice is you will definitely tell the difference.
  • Yeah it's been feeling a little better but now I'm projectile vomiting. :( I hope he decides to make an appearance soon. I can't wait to meet him!
  • I've been having very mild back cramps just a few times a day. And I also get this feeling of like when you stop your stream of pee or at least that's the best way I can describe it. It's an odd feeling lol. Last week I was dilated at all and 50% effaced, but everyone says baby is sitting lower than she had been. So hopefully something's changing haha. Good luck momma, I hope the pain doesn't get too unbearable!
  • LB10LB10 member
    I've been having horrible back pain too! Stairs were avoided before because I'm huge (STM), but now to take the stairs requires a pep talk because I may cry by the end of them. Had a moment today that made me wonder if I could be in labor, but the fact that I questioned it, I just pushed though and knew it wasn't real labor. I'm living off of Tylenol extra strength, and my doctor says there's nothing else to do, even though it barely touches my pain. Love and sympathy to any other mothers-to-be out there feeling like me!
  • edited April 2015
    39 weeks and a heating pad has really been helping my back pain. Hopefully your pain is a sign of early labor and your little one will arrive soon!
  • I've read that back pain during labor tends to happen when baby is facing your belly and has his/her spine against yours.
    Good luck! I hope you get your little bundle soon!