June 2015 Moms
Options

Early labor signs? Help!

My doctor is concerned I will go into labor very shortly and told me to watch for labor signs. This is my first pregnancy so I am not sure how really to tell. I am having low back (close to my tailbone) cramping every 30 mins which is not something I've had. It is not really bad or a stabbing pain, just a throbbing ache, so I am not sure if I am just making a big deal out of nothing. Anyone have any advice?

Re: Early labor signs? Help!

• Options
    Hi there! I think there's a thread somewhere about this. You could try to do a search to see what others have said. If anything, call L&D or nurse advice and see if you should go in.

I've posted a pic that has a list of preterm labor signs just in case. I know how worrisome it is to be a FTM. Good luck!
  • Options
    When in doubt, call your doctor! Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for the help!
  • Options
    Please call if you are unsure, no doctor or nurse will think badly of you for doing so.
  • Options
    OP, your doc told you he/she was concerned you were going to go into preterm labor and to watch for signs, and then didn't tell you what those signs are? AND you didn't ask? And you're asking internet non-doctors for the info? Holy cow. This isn't a joke, advocate for yourself and your baby and get some information. I get that you're a FTM and probably scared because you're having potential labor signs, but what are we supposed to do? If we told you your symptoms are no big deal, would you believe us? Just call your doctor or hospital and see what the professionals say. Seriously, good luck, and I hope it turns out you aren't in labor yet!
  • Options
    I agree with @Frogger5 how is it that your doctor didn't even tell you symptoms of early labor if she's concerned about you going into it?
  • Options
    I spent over 4 weeks in prodromal labor. Early labor felt exactly the same. Only way I knew the difference was by having my midwife actually check to see if I was dilating. There wasn't any confusion when active labor started, though! Staying hydrated and taking long, hot showers will get you through a lot of the "practice" contractions but as other suggested - triage is the best place to be when you're worried.
  • Options
    FTM here, and I am currently in the hospital due to pre-term labor. I was experiencing cramping that felt like gas and period cramping, but was persistent Friday morning, called triage and went in. Ended up being in labor and 3 cm dilated. They were able to stop labor and contractions, but me and baby are here until he comes. I'm 30 weeks pregnant and my doctor and all are very hopeful. If in doubt call or just go in. That's what they are there for and will be so helpful. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    @cicelycasey thank you! I just wanted a real-life experience instead of a list off the internet. I did go in and got checked and was having contractions but finally got let go and will be back tomorrow to be checked again. Thank you and good luck!!!
  • Options

@cicelycasey thank you! I just wanted a real-life experience instead of a list off the internet. I did go in and got checked and was having contractions but finally got let go and will be back tomorrow to be checked again. Thank you and good luck!!!

WHAT??!! Get out of here with that! If you don't want information from "the internet" what are you doing here? Do you honestly think that anyone else's experience has ANYTHING to do with yours in such a serious situation? I hate the phrase, but . . . I can't even.
  • Options

FTM here, and I am currently in the hospital due to pre-term labor. I was experiencing cramping that felt like gas and period cramping, but was persistent Friday morning, called triage and went in. Ended up being in labor and 3 cm dilated. They were able to stop labor and contractions, but me and baby are here until he comes. I'm 30 weeks pregnant and my doctor and all are very hopeful. If in doubt call or just go in. That's what they are there for and will be so helpful. Good luck to you!

Glad they were able to stop your labor. Thoughts and prayers for you!