March 2015 Moms

Contraction pains after birth

im having really strong pains like contractions strong enough to make me cry. I know cramps are normal because it means my uterus is shrinking back to its normal size but what did you ladies do when you got those pains? If you did. I'm trying a hot pad but it's not reall helping. Is it ok for me to take midol?

Re: Contraction pains after birth

• I would call your doctor to make sure everything is okay. I would imagine midol is okay. Are you breast feeding? I've heard breast feeding triggers cramping to help everything recover faster. So whatever meds you take make sure they are safe during breast feeding
  • I would call your OB.. You aren't supposed to be feeling worse. I took ibuprophin for the pain after delivery in the hospital and a few days after at home.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had this really strongly when I was  nursing my first but it definitely took me by surprise, so I feel you. That said if it's enough to make you cry it could be a sign that your uterus is still working to expel something. Is there any one spot that feels particularly sore or tender? If so definitely call. Also if you are still bleeding a lot that's another sign to call. Otherwise, if it's only coming on whenever you nurse, midol should be fine, also make sure you are keeping your fluid intake up...
  • I definitely had strong enough after pains that I wanted to cry too. Some were almost as intense as labor, I had to do my breathing exercises! I took a mega dose of ibuprofen fit the first week, as prescribed by my doc. Midol is ibuprofen, right? Oh...is this your first baby? My nurse told me that the after pains get worse with your second, third, etc. this was my second, and I noticed the pain way more than with my first.
  • Its completely normal. I just had baby #3 and they were horrendous!! I curled up in a ball for the first week and nursing brought on a lot. Ive been told the more ya have the worse it is. Take ibuprofen!! And use a heating pad. Warm showers felt beautiful as well
  • Red raspberry leaf tea helps
  • My pain is on the left side and It hurts when I get up to walk the weird part is that I have little to no bleeding. I would think I would be bleeding so much with so many cramps but I'm not. I'm thinking it might be some left over stuff that needs to come out so im drinking a special tea my family told me About hopefully it goes away by tomorrow if not I'll be sure to tell my OB who im seeing tomorrow anyway. Thanks ladies :)
  • if it's localized you should definitely let your care provider know. they may need to do another massage... keep us posted!
  • It most definitely gets worse with every baby you have. I just had #5 and it was very intense pains- I felt like I was in labor all over again. It started to go away around the middle of week 2.
  • My uterine contractions were so bad during breastfeeding this time around that they made me not want to feed my baby - they we're excruciating for about 5 days while everything shrunk back down. I never had them at all with my first baby so they took me by total surprise this time. Yeowza!
  • Update: I ended up going to the ER because the pain was so bad I couldn't even get up and walk. :( the only thing the doctor did was give me morphine for the pain... Here's to hoping the pain doesn't come back once I get home :(
  • it helps to focus and breathe through them like you did during labour. don't think anyone said that yet - but treat them like labour pains and you'll get through them. They don't last forever, thank goodness.
  • I was 9 days pp when I experienced cramps bad enough to make me cry! I was literally curled in a ball for 45 min crying while my husband called telehealth bc no one ever told us they'd get that bad. We had decided to go to the ER when they finally started to fade. I'm now 14 days pp and the cramps are gone.
  • Much worse this second time around. First was natural vaginal birth, this one was a c-section. Wonder if that was the difference? The pain was shocking! Like spasms while I was sleeping or feeding. Weird. At first I thought I was going crazy.
  • I had these pains while I was in the hospital. Turned out my uterus had to huge solid chunks of blood to expel. I lost a lot of blood once the head nurse helped push it out. It was extremely scary. I hope your pain hasn't returned.
  • I would max out on the acetaminophen (Tylenol) 650mg or ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) 600mg as long as you don't have bleeding, kidney or liver issues. You can alternate every 6 hours with 3 hour interval in between. If this doesn't help, you can call your doctor and ask for something stronger like an opiod. They'll give you something safe, so don't worry about drug addiction. We don't want you crying!