March 2015 Moms

Major boob leakage

this morninng I woke up with my boobs feeling super huge and heavy and my shirt almost soaked! I freaked out a little but I know it's normal. Anything you mommas do to help with the leaking? Do the pads work? And do You guys pump?? If so which one do you recommend and how long is the breast milk good for?

Re: Major boob leakage

• I like the lansinoh breast pads because they have two little stickies so they stay in place well! I wear them 24/7 to prevent a wet shirt! At night I wear them with a nursing tank with the clip off/fold down parts for easy feeding
    My little one is cluster feeding then every once in awhile will go 3-5 hours in between feeds and yes my boobs get huge and full and leaky! All part of the normal fun! I don't pump because I don't want to tell my body to make more milk! It's hard enough with his clustering that I don't want another variable in the mix, but if you get too full you could pump a little for relief? Good luck to you!
  • Yes, the disposable or reusable pads are a must!!! I use both, depending on what I need at the time.

You can pump for a little relief but if you have an excess of milk pumping will tell your body to make more so use it with caution.

You'll have to google how long Breast milk lasts for. You can freeze it too. I always start building up a supply right away of frozen milk to keep for emergencies ect.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks girls :) I definetly don't want to produce more milk than I have to so maybe I'll think twice about the pump lol
  • Milk is good for 3-8 days in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer, and 12 months in a deep freezer! I've never had a problem with leaking... I think I don't produce enough... I'm pumping 4 times a day in order to build my stash... And still no leaking boobs...
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I breastfeed every 2-3 hours around the clock. If little one sleeps too long, I leak. This is normal. From previous experience, I've learned your body will adapt.
  • okieamyokieamy member
    edited March 2015
    I'm using the Lansinoh pads too & like them. The only time I pump is if my LO only eats on one side.
  • Yes I leak too. It's all a part of the process. I breastfeed and pump so we can feed Breastmilk from a bottle. It was hard to figure out how to balance that I will admit. As for the pump I use a Medela freestyle but I've heard good things about all of Medela's pumps. As for how long is the milk good, what the previous poster said is correct. Good luck!
  • My Breast leak so bad when I bend over with no bra on or if I have no bra on period they leave puddles of milk on the floor ..it's even worse when I sleep I have large Breast so it's uncomfortable to sleep with a bra on I don't sleep with one on my bed is soaking wet even after sleeping on a towel I'm so over this ..I'm thinking about giving my baby formula
  • My Breast leak so bad when I bend over with no bra on or if I have no bra on period they leave puddles of milk on the floor ..it's even worse when I sleep I have large Breast so it's uncomfortable to sleep with a bra on I don't sleep with one on my bed is soaking wet even after sleeping on a towel I'm so over this ..I'm thinking about giving my baby formula

Wear a comfortable sports bra and breast pads to bed, problem solved.

Like the PP said , wear a super comfortable sports bra and pads. I can't imagine just letting the girls loose when they are so big and full. I just lived in a soft sports bra when at home for the year I nursed. Give it a try! Maybe the bra you have isn't comfortable enough to sleep in. They have sleep nursing bras too

Or a nursing tank top that has a built in support up top and wear breast pads so you don't leak all over.
  • I feel your pain, I also have large breast right now (34H/I) and crazy night sweats so I go through a couple sports bras a night. My breast leak like faucets if my son doesn't feed every 2 hrs or if he starts crying. (It's crazy how out body our responds to stimuli) But the pads help and the sports bra is a comfortable solution to sleepware. I can see how formula might be tempting but I love the bond I feel from breastfeeding my son and I know I would miss that. Plus financially formula can get pretty spendy. That said I'm realizing that every mom needs difference things to keep her sanity during this time, do what will make you comfortable and happy and that'll be the best decision for you and baby:)
  • I have been trying to figure out a way to cope with my breasts leaking at night also! Thank you all for the suggestions! Does anyone have a type of sleep nursing bra that works? Thanks in advance!
  • @asmoley I just use a stretchy sports bra daily. I'm normally a C cup, but turn into D's when breastfeeding. I prefer sports bras because I need the extra support, otherwise when I side sleep, my boobs "fall out". I just purchased some breast pads through Amazon - I really like them so far, no leaks! Overnight sized BAMBOOBIES and Charlie Banana breast pads. They're both leak proof, very comfy and soft, and washable! Highly recommend them!
  • i was doubling up on nursing pads there for a while - sticking a disposable pad to a reusable pad. things have calmed down now.
  • Thank you!
  • It takes a few days for your breastmilk production to coincide with your baby's needs, so this is a normal and yet annoying adjustment. I sleep with a nursing bra (Cake cotton candy bra is a little "spendy" but awesome) along with reusable bamboo pads. I just wash the extra pair and let them dry on the radiator. Bamboo absorbs better than cotton. I'm using bamboobies but also just ordered some from Etsy. Good luck!