June 2015 Moms
Options

GBS and breastfeeding

I recently found out I am group b strep positive and will likely need antibiotics during labor. The kicker is I'm allergic to penicillin, so will be taking an alternate drug, clindamycin, which I understand can carry over into breast milk, whereas penicillin wouldn't. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Answers

• Options
    Best person to ask would be the pediatrician you plan on using for your child.
  • Options
    Does your hospital have lactation consultants on staff? They would be able to answer this for you. I had a question during my first delivery, and they were able to answer it for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MelissaACBMelissaACB member
    edited March 2015
    We haven't found one yet, as we're in the process of an insurance change.

I really want to know if anyone was in the same situation with a previous baby, if they had success or not, and if the baby had any stomach issues later on down the road since antibiotics can damage the microbes in the gut. I know my stomach always gets messed up whenever I take antibiotics, so figure a newborn's would be even more sensitive.
  • Options
    MelissaACBMelissaACB member
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    It is fine. Almost all antibiotics are breastfeeding compatible if they are pregnancy compatible.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I thought the goto antibiotic for GBS was a cephalosporin.... I'm allergic to it and had to go with another antibiotic. I BF right away. But honestly, I can't remember what antibiotic they went with...
  • Options
    I also think it is just a one or two time administration of the antibiotic (I think!). If that is the case I wouldn't worry too much about it disturbing baby's gut. Maybe consider some probiotics or yogurt for yourself though.
  • Options
    For any questions regarding breastfeeding and medication, LactMed is a great resource! Just google it and it will lead you to the site.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.