October 2015 Moms
Options

Dog with Strong Prey Drive

We have a dog that has a very strong prey drive (gets fixated on small animals/wants to kill them). She has been around toddlers and has been fine with them. I'm worried about how she'll be around a newborn. We will of course be very vigilant and never leave baby unattended with the dog. I'm hoping some of you can share a similar experience and how it all worked out when baby came home.

Re: Dog with Strong Prey Drive

• Options
    I'm pregnant with my first child so I can't tell you from experience with my own children, but I have a German Pinscher and the breed has a very high prey drive. I take him out on walks and if he sees a squirrel, he becomes fixated on it and will take after it, and moles who decide to come into the backyard never make it out alive. :-/

When he is around children, he LOVES them. He is SO great with them. He lets them crawl all over him, let's them pull his ears -- everything. He has been around my newborn nieces, and he's just very curious (will sniff of them), and then he sits next to whoever is holding the baby and will fall asleep. It is the sweetest thing ever! I say all of that to say that I don't think you have to worry about your dog around your child. Of course I wouldn't ever leave any of my dogs alone with my child, but I don't think you'll have to worry about your dog because it has a high prey drive. Who knows -- your dog will probably love your child and be very protective of your baby!

imageimage

O'15 September Siggy Challenge -- Third Trimester Woes
  • Options
    I've actually got the same worry but with my cat. It sounds ridiculous but a 16 pound Maine coon mix pouncing on my baby is terrifying. He loves people but he's never been around children.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have an untrained hunting dog breed, so of course he brings home bunnies and birds in his mouth that he hunted down. He chases moose and bears. I also have 4 kids that he loves to death and cuddles up with and whines about when they're gone.
  • Options
    I'm more worried about my Chihuahua stealing babies toys. ..:/ He pulls the eyes out of all his stuffed ones
  • Options
    If you're worried, you should give the dog away now. Ultimately, he's a wild animal and you never know what they might do. I remember my neighbor got too close to his dogs food bowl and was bitten in the face. That was a sweet and gentle dog. I would never put my baby in harms way no matter what.
  • Options
    melalinga said:

I'm more worried about my Chihuahua stealing babies toys. ..:/ He pulls the eyes out of all his stuffed ones

An idea I've used before and seems to work is if dog takes a baby toy tell them no and take it away BUT replace it with one of their own toys . Its worked for me at least - hope that helps
  • Options
    Honestly, I think dogs know babies are human and not animals. Doesn't mean you won't have to train your dog to stay away from baby, but I wouldn't worry about the dog treating baby like a squirrel. Make sure your dog knows the baby is it's master, just as you and your husband are. Our dog caught on really quickly and learned his place.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replies. You've helped calm my worries. @ahh1013 I was wondering if my dog would be able to tell that the baby is human and deep down I do think she would smell the difference. Thanks again!
  • Options
    You would be surprised how they are totally different with  babies/small children (usually) in my experience.  I have had a few kind of obnoxious dogs, just jumpy or hyper, but it's like they do know that it's a tiny human and have always been extremely careful around babies or little toddlers. And I'm always wondering Why can't you be like that all the time!!!?? Like you said, just be vigilant and keep an eye on the dog but I don't think you'll have a problem.  Then again, it's what you are going to be comfortable with too.
  • Options
    I think your baby will smell like you and the dog will see you nurturing it and just get it. Still need to watch though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm honestly more worried that my poor (big ol' 75lb) dog will be scared of my baby, haha! He luckily has no prey drive at all, almost to a fault, but he is terrified of all people. I'm not worried about his fear turning to aggression, he lets people get in his space and pet him and does nothing but shake, but I don't want him to be scared of his little human brother/sister either!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    VioletandRoseVioletandRose member
    edited April 2015
    OP, is your dog pretty obedient? If you tell her to stay away from the baby, will she?

My dog is only about 21 lbs and chases squirrels and cats outside, although has never hurt or killed any. I do have a cat at home though, who I had wayyyy before the dog. It took a few months, but now the dog doesn't even bother with the cat. Dogs usually act totally different with "your" stuff (people, things, other pets, etc) than stuff outdoors.

My dog's quite excitable and I'm a little worried that she might jump on the baby, but I'm making sure that everything I buy to put the baby in is high up/out of her reach. I'm not worried and I'm sure after a few days and a few scoldings she will get the message to not go near the baby.
  • Options
    I would be cautiously optimistic, first you need to get your dog familiar with all things baby. Sounds, smells, toys. For now I would just get a diaper and put baby powder in it, stuff like that. When we were in the hospital after having our son, we had mom take anything that smelled like the baby home and just laid them around the house. Receiving blankets and pajamas etc. She is more protective over him than she is us. Hopefully this is your experience too. Until you are sure, I absolutely would not leave him unattended with baby, but I hope he surprises you in a good way
  • Options
    Some hospitals offer pet classes for new parents. We live in St. Louis and Mercy Hospital has a class for just $15 all about preparing your pet for baby.
  • Options
    I am an animal lover but when it comes down to it, they are ANIMALS and there is a first time for everything. I do not allow any animals near my babies.
  • Options
    We have a dog that is very territorial and jealous. When me and my boyfriend first got together she peed on me! I'm worried she'll get jealous of the baby and start peeing on everything.
  • Options
    Watch the dog whisperer. I swear by everything he says.... Never seen on how to deal with babies but principles are all the same.
  • Options
    I didn't have a problem with my 80lb shepherd, but my 13 lbs cat was the issue . She was already a little crazy to begin with. Then she actually started stalking my son when he was in his playpen and attacked him a few times.

I took her to the vet and tried to medicate her to calm her down but it didn't work. The vet and pet adoption agencies told me they couldn't adopt her out due to the biting and aggression and i had to put her down unfortunately
  • Options
    I was just talking to my sister, whose a vet tech, about bring a baby into the house with my dog. She suggested finding a good trainer. Also I read some good tips and on line such as if possible have your the room set up before hand to get used to the changes, practice with baby crying sound tracks coming from the room (and maybe treat during the sound so it's a positive this), also have you significant other bring home a blanket that smells like the baby before you two home home. Put the blank in the room running on corner at dog high to establish this is the babies space.

My dog has a strong prey drive but never directs it at my three cats. They can distinguish what is prey and what isn't. Also prey runs away and acts like prey. You baby will be pretty immobile at first.
  • Options
    pdittlepdittle member
    edited April 2015
    My husband had 2 pit bulls when we got together. One is very laid back and the other was very aggressive. I wanted to see how she would do if we had a baby so I got a kitten. She almost killed it and then started to be dominant over me and I said she had to go. Now we have a just the laid back dog and a cat. I'm confident they will be great big sisters when our baby comes in October.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your helpful comments!