August 2015 Moms
Options

Newborn Clothing

I'm a FTM and just wondering about newborn size onezies/clothing/etc. I realize that babies grow up really fast. Just curious if it is worth it to buy newborn clothing? Will the baby even get to wear it before they have outgrown it? Or should I buy a few newborn outfits just in case? I've been trying to buy more 0-3 months, but even then I wonder. Any second time moms have opinions on this? Thanks.

Re: Newborn Clothing

• Options
    I insisted that we did not need newborn size clothing last time.  DD ended up wearing nb for 3 months.  One thing I loved about newborn long sleeved clothing (at least from Carters) was that it had the hand covers on the ends.

I would at least buy a few footie pjs to start.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I had not bought any because I was told my DS would be 7 1/2 to 8 lbs then when in labor told 8 lbs 7 oz (and having been a 9 lb 4 oz baby myself, I believed them). Well, DS was 6 lb 5 oz at full term! So we ended up having to go buy some NB because he was sooo tiny. This time I bought a few sleepers in NB, probably jinxed myself and she will be a 9 lber, but it is easier to have a few and return or gift to someone else later if need be. Don't buy a ton in NB though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I bought 8 footed sleepers for $2 a piece from a friend. Mom my bought some gowns. I think she'll be about me wear those Longer. I don't have any 'clothes' for her in newborn. I don't figure we will get our much. I'm concentrating on 3 months and up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Miz_Liz said:

I had not bought any because I was told my DS would be 7 1/2 to 8 lbs then when in labor told 8 lbs 7 oz (and having been a 9 lb 4 oz baby myself, I believed them). Well, DS was 6 lb 5 oz at full term! So we ended up having to go buy some NB because he was sooo tiny. This time I bought a few sleepers in NB, probably jinxed myself and she will be a 9 lber, but it is easier to have a few and return or gift to someone else later if need be. Don't buy a ton in NB though.

This exactly. This is one of the reasons I no longer listen to the Dr. About weight estimates as they were WAY off with DS. He needed newborn so we had to go out and buy. We didn't buy much though considering he was born in August and it was hot as hell. Just a bunch of onesies and NB diapers.

This time I will have more NB on hand for sure.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have been wondering this too! This is helpful. I got some newborn onsies and that's it. I assume sleep sacks will work for Pjs even if they are big? I have only found ones "0-6 months"
  • Options
    It's hard to tell, my son came 6 weeks early so he was in newborn for several months. They do grow super fast so I loved those sleep gowns, you can roll the sleeves and not worry about the leg length
  • Options
    You never know. My 37 weeker was 4.5 lbs so we got lots of use from nb
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We used the sleepers, but not many of the actual outfits. DS wore them for a little while. But, babies don't really get clothes messy at first, so we didn't need a ton
  • Options
    DS1 was 7lb2oz DS2 was 9lb6oz... They both wore newborn size for weeks! They were swimming in 0-3 month.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    My son was 8.4 lbs and 20 inches and worn NB size clothes for the first (almost) 3 months. He didn't grown into his 0-3 months size stuff until then. We ended up buying some NB stuff because I had returned it all:
  • Options

I have been wondering this too! This is helpful. I got some newborn onsies and that's it. I assume sleep sacks will work for Pjs even if they are big? I have only found ones "0-6 months"

Sleep sacks or gowns? When my son was first born we tried putting him in a sleep sack at night and he literally disappeared - it was WAYYY too big and it was "one size" so we had to wait for him to grow some before we could safely put him in that. Honestly, sleepers are fine, especially since we are having August babies.
  • Options
    Miz_Liz said:

Sleep sacks or gowns? When my son was first born we tried putting him in a sleep sack at night and he literally disappeared - it was WAYYY too big and it was "one size" so we had to wait for him to grow some before we could safely put him in that. Honestly, sleepers are fine, especially since we are having August babies.
    They were labeled as sleep sacks but I would call them gowns, they were just open at the bottom.
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this discussion! As a FTM I was very confused in the stores the other day while browsing the baby clothing. When I held up a newborn outfit it looked sooooo narrow and tiny compared to the 0-3 months. I was holding the different sizes in my two hands, looking from one to the other for about 5 minutes. I probably looked insane! It's just hard. When I asked my mom about it she saw how confused I was and thought it was funny. She reassured me that at the shower I would get tons of clothes, of all different sizes and that that would be the LAST thing I will be worrying about when the baby comes. lol, she made me feel a lot better. I guess as a FTM my concerns seem silly to those more experienced and mama knows best right? :)
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Options
    My nephew was born 3 weeks early at 6 pounds which was completely unexpected so my sister had no nb clothes (she was an 8lb baby and the father 11lbs!). Fortunately those first two days in the hospital she didn't need anything so mom and I ran out shopping :)

Fast forward 18 days and my daughter was born at 8lbs 15oz and never even fit into nb. Maybe next dd will be different and I can use some of that stuff that still has tags on it!
  • Options
    LO was 6 lb 15 oz and wore NB for at least a month. Mostly footed onesies since it was winter. I try and buy things that I'm not sure I will use from Kohls because you can return it at anytime (and use your Kohls charge that way you don't even need to save the receipt).

• Options

Miz_Liz said:

They were labeled as sleep sacks but I would call them gowns, they were just open at the bottom.

Yea, that sounds more like a gown, that will probably fit baby without any issue. The sleep sacks I am referring to just have a head opening and sleeves and then they zip up the front. We had such a good laugh when we put our DS in one for the first time, it was soooooooo big on him.
  • Options
    I feel so silly. I didn't realize until reading this that newborn was different than 0-3 months. I thought the only difference was premie clothing.
  • Options
    Everyone told me babies ever for newborn size... So when my lil guy came a few weeks early I had to do some shopping.

For this baby girl, I got a 5 pack of tank top onesies and 2 sleepers in newborn size because it's going to be hot enough that she won't been much else for the first while.
  • Options
    My first two were both over 8lbs and both wore nb size for a bit. With my first we picked out a 0-3 month size going home outfit and she was swimming in it. I'd get some to have if you need them.
  • Options
    My son was 7lb 7.6oz but nb clothes swallowed him. He had to wear preemie clothes for the first 3-4 weeks then he was in nb for about 2 months. I would say buy some so you don't have to go out right after baby is born to buy some.
  • Options
    My son was 7lbs 9oz, 21 inches long, I think we had a few nb outfits we got from the baby shower but we didn't buy anything he only fit into them for about a month or two.. he was skinny but long.
  • Options
    I am a FTM my DH has older children we got about 5 or so NB outfits just in case I am leaving tags on till we get a guess of how big she will be we got good deals at Carter's so i got a bunch of 0-3 3-6 mos clothing cheap. Also check target for deals
  • Options
    Does anyone shop at Carters?? Their sizes go from newborn to 3 months... So does the newborn size cover nb-3 months??
  • Options

Does anyone shop at Carters?? Their sizes go from newborn to 3 months... So does the newborn size cover nb-3 months??

I have been shopping there.. It's usually NB or 0-3. Something's just say 3.
  • Options
    Both of mine were right at 7 lbs when they were born, and both actually needed preemie outfits for a week or two since they were so skinny.
    I would have some NB sizes on hand just in case, but I have also seen babies who were too big for NB sizes at birth. It's really hit or miss.
  • Options
    My guy was 8.6 and he did wear newborn clothes...sometimes it isn't the weight but their body shape and such...we brought a 0-3 to the hospital for his going home outfit and he swam in it! Ended up in a newborn onsie and booties and a hat (late August and burning up hot!!)  We didn't need newborn for long though.
  • Options
    Yes. My some was 7lbs 8oz and wore NB carters for a good month. They lose weight after birth. Here is a pic from the hospital (take at least 2 outfits bc they spit up), and the NB craters is too big.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My guys was 7 lbs 3 oz when we left the hospital but put on weight really quick. We only used newborn clothes for maybe a few weeks. This time around we're buying maybe 6 - 8 newborn sleepers and the rest 3 months and up. If we need more newborn cloths we can always get them once she's here... it's not like they'll stop making newborn clothes lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"