June 2015 Moms
Options

Neuro appointment

Saw neurologist this morning.
Didn't tell me anything that a modern working woman wants to hear. Hopefully this little bit of knowledge is useful to someone (hence it's own thread)
He said I am part of a group of women who have pregnancy induced migraines and that I am not alone. He said there are no medications for migraines that he can really give me regularly at this point in the pregnancy. He said I can take the fioricet with codeine when they come on. The parts I especially didn't want to hear
A) I cannot switch shifts anymore from days to nights. One or the other.
B) take 3-4 more days off work
C) these will go away and they will probably come back and I have no choice but to call in when they do and I need to get over that guilt.
His wife was a nurse and his dad a psychiatrist. He says he knows the mentality of nursing and to stop letting that make me feel guilty for calling in. Ha. Easier said than done. He says," there is no magic pill to make these go away or help you sleep these off. You have to learn to ride them out and rest/relax.
12 more weeks....... 12 more weeks. My pto will be severely diminished just with only 5 days off work from last week to this week, but he is right when he said this baby is a joyful thing even if it doesn't feel like it right now.
Whew. Ok. Well thank you ladies for constantly listening to me bitch. ;) can't wait to meet this squirt and make this worth it. So for all of yho control freaks like me out there..... Babies say ha! Good one.... We make the rules. Bring on the unpredictability and learning to be cheap on maternity leave due to all this headache fun!!!!

Re: Neuro appointment

• Options
    Wow I'm really sorry about the missed work / diminished maternity leave as a result, and the nurse guilt you will undoubtedly feel when / if you get another headache and have to call out. But, would you really be giving your patients the rockstar service you know you bring to the table when well, or would they get less? I know when I have a headache I'm nowhere near on point as normal. Also, look at yourself with a nurse's point of view - if you were talking to your patient with a diagnosis as above, you would tell them to call out, right? I know some nurses - y'all are tough but you definitely have a tendency to push yourselves real hard.
    Tough love over. Now just love - glad its not anything more serious than migraines, which are of course really sucky but its not something life threatening and I would hope should stop after baby comes. Go get some rest for your aching brain, and feel better, k? :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Be kind to yourself. You deserve it. I'm glad you have a plan of action, even though it's not the hoped-for one. Hang in there, you got this and we are here to listen!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm happy to hear you finally have an answer to those awful headaches but so sorry to hear that it is migraines. Yuck! I know it totally sucks to have to cut back a little bit at work but as you said 12 more weeks. Rest up and let us know if you need anything!
  • Options
    It's all unpredictable - of course worth it - but, it's so hard...especially to reduce the amount of income and leave...stay strong and feel well!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. I'm also glad that it's not a frighteningly serious diagnosis. You are such a strong woman that I know the staying home to rest thing might be hard at first, but it's what your body needs. Surrender...and hopefully all of their suggestions will pay off and you can find some relief. Sending you well wishes and hoping you can get some well needed rest. (:|
  • Options
    I'm glad that you were finally able to get some answers on this, I'm sure it was frustrating for a while to have people likely write it off as an average symptom. I'm really sorry they can't do anything to make them go away but glad there are some hopeful avoidance methods!
  • Options
    Ugh! So sorry! I understand the guilt and not wanting to miss work. I wound up calling in today because my head is killing me after my ER adventure yesterday and I just keep thinking that it's one more day I could have taken off once baby is here. I just keep telling myself it will work out and try to remember that it's not just about me anymore. I'm stubborn, but we mamas have to learn to take care of ourselves. Maybe a regular schedule will help you feel better. Get some rest!
  • Options
    I had a pregnancy induced migraine with my last pregnancy. Luckily it was only one and it was only at the end of my pregnancy when I was super stressed out. I ended up losing part of my vision and going to the ER. Is true the only thing you can do is relax. I would talk to your boss and let them know what's going on and see how you can be accommodated. Good luck!
  • Options
    It sounds like your doctor really has a plan which is comforting... I hope you experience relief soon!
  • Options
    I'm sorry you have to deal with this! Take it easy and hang in there!
  • Options
    klkonwi said:

Saw neurologist this morning.
    Didn't tell me anything that a modern working woman wants to hear. Hopefully this little bit of knowledge is useful to someone (hence it's own thread)
    He said I am part of a group of women who have pregnancy induced migraines and that I am not alone. He said there are no medications for migraines that he can really give me regularly at this point in the pregnancy. He said I can take the fioricet with codeine when they come on. The parts I especially didn't want to hear
    A) I cannot switch shifts anymore from days to nights. One or the other.
    B) take 3-4 more days off work
    C) these will go away and they will probably come back and I have no choice but to call in when they do and I need to get over that guilt.
    His wife was a nurse and his dad a psychiatrist. He says he knows the mentality of nursing and to stop letting that make me feel guilty for calling in. Ha. Easier said than done. He says," there is no magic pill to make these go away or help you sleep these off. You have to learn to ride them out and rest/relax.
    12 more weeks....... 12 more weeks. My pto will be severely diminished just with only 5 days off work from last week to this week, but he is right when he said this baby is a joyful thing even if it doesn't feel like it right now.
    Whew. Ok. Well thank you ladies for constantly listening to me bitch. ;) can't wait to meet this squirt and make this worth it. So for all of yho control freaks like me out there..... Babies say ha! Good one.... We make the rules. Bring on the unpredictability and learning to be cheap on maternity leave due to all this headache fun!!!!

Thank you for this! I've been in the hospital since Tuesday for the very same problem. My high blood pressure causes mine but I haven't been dx preeclamsia yet. I had them before pregnancy as well. I hate the guilt I feel leaving my husband to take care of the kids and household and still go to work. He says don't worry about home, he's got it, but how can I not, that's my domain. Anyway thanks for sharing the encouragement!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. Migraines are so disheartening to people who are go-go-go.

Doctor is right, be kind to your body, be kind to your brain, and take care of yourself as opposed to "take care of business".

You're gonna be just fine. Not too long now before your little darling is here!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you have to go through this but glad you got some answers. I know how rough it is to adjust. I'm the same way with work and I'm a total planner. Leave it to our babies to force us to be flexible. I guess it's in preparation for how parenting can be unpredictable sometimes.

Take care of yourself and I'm sure you'll feel better soon :)
  • Options
    I experienced this with my first pregnancy. From weeks 34-37, thankfully they stopped before labour, because I honestly don't think I could've survived labour with such a debilitating migraine. I'm sorry you're going through this, I hope you're able to relax and avoid too many more! I'm happy to report that I haven't experienced one since week 37 of my last pregnancy, so it definitely resolves! Fingers crossed I can avoid them this time. Migraines are horrible (but you already know that), thinking if you!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Saw in daily symptoms that you were able to get some sleep, thank the gods and while your head still hurt it wasn't quite as bad as before. Glad to hear all that. Hope it continues to improve!
  • Options
    I'm glad it's nothing more serious than migraines, although migraines are absolutely miserable. I hope you are able to rest more and get some relief soon.
  • Options
    So sorry you're dealing with this! My youngest sister gets migraines and when she has them, she's in so much pain that it hurts ME to look at her... they're truly awful. I hope the fioricet is able to help you to some degree. It really stinks that you have to take time off now but try to relax and enjoy the time off, even if it's forced. Feel better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"