3rd Trimester

Can using the breast pump get labour going?

So I'm 40 weeks pregnant with a very big baby. I'm in desprate need to get my baby out! Not only am I tired of pregnancy my doctors want to induce me in a week which I don't want. I heard if you use your breast pump it can stimulate you into labour. Is this true! I'm tempted to give it a shot!

Re: Can using the breast pump get labour going?

• Yes, I have. nipple stimulation can bring on labor, HOWEVER I would highly recommend talking this over with your dr.
  • I 100% do not recommend that you try to stimulate labor using a breast pump. Your baby will come when it's time, be patient and leave the pump alone.
  • Loading the player...
  • sslager said:

So I'm 40 weeks pregnant with a very big baby. I'm in desprate need to get my baby out! Not only am I tired of pregnancy my doctors want to induce me in a week which I don't want. I heard if you use your breast pump it can stimulate you into labour. Is this true! I'm tempted to give it a shot!

Nipple stimulation can produce very sudden, very painful contractions. I would not do it without care from a professional present.

You need to relax. Baby will come when they are ready.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I definitely would not, just based on the contraction-like feelings nursing baby brings on shortly after birth. It can be pretty intense. I can't imagine how much more intense it would feel before the birth.

Anecdotally, my first baby was born at 41w2d.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• ryemoryemo member
    Lots of good advice here! Be patient and your baby will come. Just because you can give yourself contractions doesn't mean your body will actually birth your baby.
  • So I tried using my pump 2x with no luck and because I got a lot of colostrum out I decided to stop just so I don't start producing milk. Got to make sure my babes gets the good stuff
  • sslager said:

So I tried using my pump 2x with no luck and because I got a lot of colostrum out I decided to stop just so I don't start producing milk. Got to make sure my babes gets the good stuff

Wow. That really wasn't the best idea.
  • I think the best "at home remedy" is a prenatal massage. Supposedly there are pressure points they can hit to "encourage" labor and even if it doesn't work (which I think goes in the eating eggplant parm or walking a lot category), you're still getting a nice massage out of it. I had a massage the night before I woke up in labor. I certainly can't say it's what brought it on, but it was lovely to have being so far along.
  • Pumping out colostrum.... OUCH.
  • sslager said:

So I tried using my pump 2x with no luck and because I got a lot of colostrum out I decided to stop just so I don't start producing milk. Got to make sure my babes gets the good stuff

WHAT THE?!?!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sslager said:

WHAT THE?!?!
    Idk. I really don't know. I really don't.
  • sslager said:

I ... You ... but ... 

• sslager said:

I ... You ... but ... 

• I'm a firm believer that none of these types of techniques will work until your body is ready to go into labor.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • sslager said:

I see your getting a lot flack for this comment but I was actually suggested by the lactation consultant at the hospital to do exactly this in order to bring on labour, just make sure you are storing the colostrum so that baby gets the good stuff is what she said, so it's not as crazy an idea as all you ladies seem to think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"