November 2015 Moms
Options

finding out the gender?

So i had my 1st app yesterday EDD so far is Nov.10th got to see the baby and heartbeat all in all a good visit, this is my first pregnancy. Now my doc said there is a very high chance that at my next visit (April 30th I'll be about 12w) they can tell me the sex if we want to know it. Is it just me or is 12w really early to find that out? I mean I'd love to know as soon as they can tell me its just i thought it happened much later then 12 weeks. So what do you guys think?

Re: finding out the gender?

• Options
    AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah I wouldn't bank on that. At 12 weeks things look very similar but if they do tell you what the sex "is" I wouldn't go buying a bunch of gender specific clothing.
  • Options
    Hmmm. I am finding out at 16 weeks but 12 does seem a bit early. I agree with PP if they do tell you (which I would opt out of until your following visit) don't go buy a bunch of gender specifics. It seems like the chance of being incorrect would be pretty high. I 'm nervous about accuracy at 16 weeks but if we didn't, we would have to wait until almost 26 weeks as my SIL will be gone for the summer and being her first neice/nephew we want her to be there when we all find out! 
    Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mmk29mmk29 member

Yeah I wouldn't bank on that. At 12 weeks things look very similar but if they do tell you what the sex "is" I wouldn't go buying a bunch of gender specific clothing.

This. I would hold off to the anatomy scan at 18-20 weeks before making any big gender specific decisions.
  • Options
    I get my first ultrasound at 12 wks and sex at 20wks
  • Options

This. At 12 weeks, they're pretty much identical.
  • Options
    At 10-12 weeks my doc offer that she can run This new testing method, called free cell DNA, promises to give a closer look into the health (and sex) of your baby early in pregnancy.

Fragments of fetal DNA (cell free DNA), seep into the expectant mother's bloodstream through the placental wall. Researchers have noted them as early as five weeks after conception. These fragments can be analyzed and used for prenatal genetic testing.
  • Options
    mmk29mmk29 member

At 10-12 weeks my doc offer that she can run This new testing method, called free cell DNA, promises to give a closer look into the health (and sex) of your baby early in pregnancy.

Fragments of fetal DNA (cell free DNA), seep into the expectant mother's bloodstream through the placental wall. Researchers have noted them as early as five weeks after conception. These fragments can be analyzed and used for prenatal genetic testing.

I think this has been discussed but just in case this testing may not be covered. I have a fairly common/large insurance company and they only allow this if you're over 35 or have a personal (not family but you personally) connection to a chromosomal disease such as a prior pregnancy. Just check to make sure because it can be expensive.
  • Options
    I'll have to talk to dh about it but i think i want to wait until the scan after then to find out i always assumes it was 20 weeks to find out the sex but of course i got my hopes up when doc said at 12 weeks we would find out. Were going to wait until later, probably closer to 30 weeks to buy stuff (we both have very large Families and i know of at least one baby shower to be thrown by my baby sister so we'll wait till after all that to see what we need to buy anyway). Now another random question who did your ultra sound a tech or your actual doctor my actual doctor did mine
  • Options
    My old boss and I are pregnant at the same time but she's about 10 weeks ahead of me. She told me about the dna test so she found out the gender at 11.5 weeks. She's over 35 and she wanted to confirm there were no genetic issues so she had it done. As was mentioned, she said they analyze the baby's dna, or the chromosomes, and so they can rule out genetic issues and can also see if there's a Y chromosome. I'm trying to decide now if I want to know that early!
  • Options
    I'm 35 I'm on my husband insurance so it will be covered .this test will be preform in Lenox hospital not in my doc office . So will see how it goes.
  • Options
    At the end of the day I really just care that baby is healthy . Boy or girl it still will be the best thing what ever happened . Wishing u all easy pregnancy and healthy baby
  • Options
    We are team green!
  • Options
    @Ceridwen77 , whenever I see anyone put "we're team green," I always think of the maternity T-shirt: we're hoping it's a dinosaur! :D
  • Options
    On that note, I've actually seen gender test strips sold at Walgreens lol. It's right next to the pregnancy test, an no I'm not joking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"