June 2015 Moms

Pack and play STM's

do I really need a pack and play? They are so ugly and huge. We are having twins so I'm wondering if it might be helpful to have one especially when they start moving around? stm, what do you recommend?

Re: Pack and play STM's

• edited March 2015
    FTM but we got one because it has a bassinet insert, so it'll double as a bassinet which is huge for us since we live in an apartment (one less thing to buy/store). I also remember that my parents used one ALL the time for my youngest siblings, who are twins. They liked to play in it and it kept them contained when my mom was cleaning, and they used it any time we traveled. Again, FTM so take this with a grain of salt but I think that while a pack n play is not as crucial as, say, a crib, it's pretty helpful to have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not a STM but, I suggest getting an Ikea crib, the least expensive one (don't remember the name), and using that as a child-containment device when you need it. It's so low and unobtrusive, it looks like an old fashioned play pen to me. It actually costs less than a pack and play, I think, or maybe about the same. You could fit both kids in there, and you could paint it any color you want to match the living room or wherever you put it. Only negative I think is that it isn't super mobile, so you couldn't move it from room to room (but pack n plays are bulky, too, so I doubt parents really move them around so much really). Anyway, it's an idea!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a FTM also, but my sister had twins two years ago and she used the pack n play as a bassinet / sleeping item when the twins came home from the hospital until they were moved into their actual cribs. I was going to forgo a pack n play, too, but she told me I would really use it, so I got one.

Only thing is, I don't know if she used 1 pack n play for both or 1 for each... I'll text her and ask when its a more appropriate time where she is (she is west coast and 2 hours behind me, its not even 930am there yet)
  • mellymar said:

I'm a FTM also, but my sister had twins two years ago and she used the pack n play as a bassinet / sleeping item when the twins came home from the hospital until they were moved into their actual cribs. I was going to forgo a pack n play, too, but she told me I would really use it, so I got one.

Only thing is, I don't know if she used 1 pack n play for both or 1 for each... I'll text her and ask when its a more appropriate time where she is (she is west coast and 2 hours behind me, its not even 930am there yet)

My parents always just used one. I think theirs was bigger than is typical though.
  • FTM here so, again, I'm no help. We had our shower this weekend and got 2 pack & plays (figured one to keep at one set of grandparents and the other for us at home). Not gonna lie, that thing was a pain in the ass to put together. Again, we're noobs and i'm sure it gets easier with time but I'm already considering returning both of those (graco) and splurging on just one of the 4Moms breeze to use at home and on-the-go. We played with the 4moms one at the store and it was sooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier. Just a thought if you're gonna go the pack & play route.
  • I'm a twin and my mom babysat my twin cousins when I was in middle school. She used one a lot, especially when they were napping. She knew from when my sister and I were born that twins enjoy being close and always put them in one together. It took some convincing but she convinced my aunt to put them in the same crib and they slept so much better. We're just having one and I was going to register for a pack and play but we actually went with the Graco travel light crib which is like a mini version to keep in our room or in the living room when he's still tiny.
  • We didn't use ours much. We used it in the beginning as a bassinet, but then we ended up just throwing things in there.
  • My sister said she had both her twins in the one pack n play until about 4-5 months, then moved them to their cribs. After that they used a Joovy play yard when they were older.

And yeah, I just recently put together my Graco pack n play, and it was a chore that first go round. But now that I've done it, and folded it down again, I think it will be easier for me with the experience

• khazekhaze member
    I didn't use one with my first.  Let's just say, the pack n play that I ordered has already been delivered and is sitting in the baby room.

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• We use ours often! We use it for some playtimse, to nap in different rooms (to get used to sleeping all over), and we also used it in our room the first 6 weeks.
    Not to mention we take it to friends' houses if we'll be out late or during a nap time, etc.
    I also was given a couple used ones, which we gave to my parents and DH's mom....so great to not have to bring a bed to their house when visiting!
    Until LO got too big (around 4mo.), we also used a Moses basket to travel around with, which was great!
  • DS didn't end up sleeping that well in the bassinet that our PNP came with. We did keep it downstairs for use as a changing table/area for awhile, mostly while I was recovering and was advised not to go up and down stairs all day. I think it's been most helpful for use as a travel crib as he has gotten older.
  • STM here. We didn't use ours a lot at home, however we travelled a lot in LO's first year and that pack and play was a godsend for hotel rooms and overnights at other peoples' homes. I would recommend getting one that fold up compact to make travelling easier. PSA: in my experience hotel playpens/cribs are nasty.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Never used one with any of my 4 children. Someone did buy me one though.
  • We use it when we go camping and my parents use it for naps at daycare. We have never used it at home. No reason to.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Ours twins slept in one in our room for the first month.

Then we moved them to a shared crib in their room. After a month, they were moved into their own crib. My one son would wiggle a ton and get moving around. We didn't want to worry about a suffocation risk (they wore sleep sacks), if one turned and put himself against his brother.

We used our play n packs a ton when traveling, camping or visiting family.
  • We bought this one for our twins.

• I kept mine at my parents and it was really handy there as a changing station and a place to nap or play in when he could sit up and play ... Also it was great for travel!

At my home, I kept a bigger play pen for him to play in when I needed to keep him contained and I found that to be super helpful (and a great place to throw all the toys when unexpected guests showed up :)
  • TTM here. We have used a pack n play for travel purposes with our first 2 and intend to with this baby as well. We didn't have a need for it at home, but agree it was SUPER helpful for traveling and it folds up pretty compact so it doesn't take up too much space.
  • I think it is a matter of preference and the size of your house. I have 3 pnps and they are used regularly, even now that dd is 1 1/2 yo. I have 3 levels. We used one in our room with the bassinet insert for the first few months. I use it now wo the bassinet if I need to shower or get ready with her up. She plays with her toys. It just sits in the corner and doesn't take up much space.

We used one on the main level with the insert as a changer/napping area when she was small. My 70 yo MIL watches her 2 days/week and doesn't feel comfortable walking up the stairs with her so she naps in it all the time. It's in a formal living room which was never used and has now become a play room so no big deal.

The 3rd one is in the basement or usually folded in someone's trunk for visits to family. Obviously, you don't have to be lazy like us and can move them around but we are all about convenience and making life easier, where we can. With twins, you may want to do the same.

I was surprised how many devices you need to put LO down securely in to free up your hands (especially when crawling begins). Shortly after her birth, I was calling everyone taking them up on their offers to give me their pnp, bouncy seats, etc. I hate clutter and it does take up a lot of room but mommy needs to shower, eat, clean, do laundry, pay bills, etc.

A baby carrier is an alternate to all this but dd hated them all. I'm hoping this little guy will be different. Sorry for the long post. Insomnia has taken over.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

• I used my pnp through the various stages. Honestly I've never used it as a "play pen," but instead as a place for him to nap downstairs when he was an infant, for company when they have small children, for traveling, and now it's where he does his timeouts. He used his bouncy seat when I would shower when he was younger.
  • STM but technically TTM since 8 months ago brought a newborn foster boy home from the hospital (he is now 8 months). I used a PNP in my living room both with my daughter and later my foster son. Our bedrooms are on the second floor so I always felt better using the PNP for sleeping during the day on the main floor where we spent all of our time. Plus it doubled as a baby changing station. I put it away and used the crib at around 5 months old.
  • I'm only a FTM but we are using the pack n play in lieu of a crib until DH has finished building the crib (he's crafting one by hand but it might take longer than he thinks).

After that we will put the pnp on the other level of of house for when we need it.

Our MIL has one at her house, too. We will bring our pnp if going to my mom's house.
  • We used our mini pack and play/bassinet in our room with our first for sleeping for the first little while. Then as my lo got older we used it any time we went camping/away. We never used it for him to play in even when he became mobile because we just watched him. I imagine with two it would be helpful to have a few mins to drink a coffee... That being said we never used it on the main floor of the house. We used a swing or bouncy seat to put our lo in. We don't have a huge space in the main floor and I didn't want a big bulky piece taking up space.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Fifthtimemom here. My last DS we used the pnp instead of a crib. Planned to move DS3 into a crib around 4-5 months. Never happened. He's 19 months now and still sleeps in it. So much easier. And more convienent. We also travel a lot. So he sleeps way better b/c we literally just pack up his bed and take it with us. Plan on doing the same thing with baby #5 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"