June 2015 Moms
Options

Nursing bras

I didn't see any threads about this yet, so I figured I'd start one! At what point is it a good time to start buying nursing bras? And for those of you who have done all this before, what are your favorite brands? I'm hoping to find some that are relatively cheap in price but decent in quality. Wal-Mart is usually my go-to for cheap but sturdy bras, but unfortunately I don't think they carry 34E and that's what I think I'm going to need...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursing bras

• Options
    Ooh I'm also interested in this, thanks @karaelaine1991!
  • Options
    I bought mine months ago when my regular bras stopped fitting. I find the Bravado bras to be quite comfy!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just got a few the other day at motherhood maternity because I needed a bigger band size. I think the name of the bra is Reese. It has a little padding and no underwire and it's so comfy! I've been wearing since I bough them. Also I think they were about $25.
  • Options
    I always buy Bravado. Super soft & comfy!
  • Options
    I've bought a Gilligan O Malley at Target for $18. It's super comfy. Once my milk comes in, I'll go get measured for a Bravado.
  • Options
    Sounds like Bravados are a good pick! I'm guessing they're expensive though? I like @laurendutch's suggestion of Target and then getting fitted!
  • Options
    I think they are around $40 or $50. A little too much for me, if I might not use them in a few months because my size changes. Check into Target, online you can get them up to size XXL.
  • Options

I think they are around $40 or $50. A little too much for me, if I might not use them in a few months because my size changes. Check into Target, online you can get them up to size XXL.

Great advice, thank you!!
  • Options
    I'm still fitting in my pre-pregnancy bras. But since they're a 42 FF/G, I'm just going to go to the lingerie shop I usually go to for a fitting once I'm closer to my due date. I don't know if I'll get any bigger, but since I already can't find my size in department/big box stores, I'll just skip the hassle and go see my regular girls.  
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Options
    I'm wearing a Bravado one right now! They are comfortable however, i feel like the cups aren't that smooth and if you are wearing a tighter shirt they might show creasing. This is the first time I'm wearing it but so far so good. I think they are keeping "the girls" in check.
  • Options
    @finchfeeder80 Im with you! Unfortunately my .. Size.. Has been fluctuating back and forth so very glad I can still fit into my pre-pregnancy bras.
    I'm starting to get worried that about when I should go to get them so they end up in the right size. I may just forsake bras (crazy idea for me!) Until after baby comes so I don't end up with the wrong size
  • Options
    @jmk729 I'm a FTM, so I kind of have no clue what I'm doing, but I thought I'd read somewhere the closer you wait until birth, the better. I think like around 36 weeks? I have entertained the idea of waiting until after birth, but I'm afraid that a) I'm not going to be up for bra shopping in a reasonable time frame once I get home, and b) I'd like to have at least one to wear in the hospital to make breastfeeding easier. I don't think I can just do a tank. Regular tanks with built in bras are a joke for me, once my milk comes in, I'm pretty sure even a nursing tank isn't going to be able to tame the chaos.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Options
    Agreed.. I think I'll go with your thinking. One or two (hopefully on sale) as close to delivery as possible. The two nursing tanks I have so far are fine for private use but not sure how I'll feel with visitors lol
  • Options
    Penwater1Penwater1 member
    edited March 2015
    During my first pregnsncy I purchased my bras during the last month. Believe it or not I got them online for JCPenney the best! I have a large bust size to begin with so pregnancy just made it that much bigger.they were reasonably priced very comfortable durable and I'll be using them again the second time around. The best part was I was able to return once it didn't fit quite right in the store. Originally, I only purchased two and then purchase more once I realize they would work well. Make sure you also get one you'll be comfortable sleeping in.
  • Options
    I still fit my regular bras 34 DDD but everyone says my boobs are getting bigger but even my comfy sports bras still fit. Do you think I could just wear those?
  • Options

I still fit my regular bras 34 DDD but everyone says my boobs are getting bigger but even my comfy sports bras still fit. Do you think I could just wear those?

it is difficult to breastfeed from a sports bra
  • Options
    I usually buy the nursing sports bra. BC I can wear them longer. I believe I bought them at target. I never had any cute ones that made me look like a woman. I'll be following this :)
  • Options
    I just attended a breastfeeding class last week and my instructor recommended the ones from target or jcpenney! Definitely no underwire as that may interfere with milk production. She said about two weeks before due date is a a good timeframe to go and get measured!
  • Options
    I'm waiting closer to my due date. I've always been pretty big chested but they've seriously grown so much during this pregnancy that I don't want to buy one and then have to buy a new one a month later because my boob decides to stick out on one side.
  • Options
    They always got huge after my milk came in... I wouldn't buy too many before then... Just in case
  • Options
    Great thread, I went up 2 cup sizes in the first trimester. I figure they will only get bigger so I'm hesitant to buy any till closer to due date. I think I'll buy one or 2 cheaper ones and target and see where I'm at once my milk comes in
  • Options
    Target clearance racks!!!!! For a great selection of them for cheap.... Some were like 6 bucks!
  • Options
    I have a few medela ones from Amazon.  They carry larger sizes so I was able to get a G.  I was told to get measured at about 8 months and then buy nursing bras base don that measurement.  
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    Thanks so much for all of the feedback, everyone! This has really been helpful!
  • Options
    cehncehn member
    I personally loved the nursing tank tops with built in bra. I could wear any shirt over top of them and just pull it up to unclip the boob. If I wore a nursing bra and a shirt without a lot of stretch I had to lift up my whole shirt anyway to get access. I just felt like having the tanktop still in place was more comfortable (no belly showing) and more versatile. I have nursing bras but day to day never wore them and doubt I will the third time around. https://m.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-cotton-cami-gilligan-o-malley/-/A-13793418
  • Options
    cehn said:

I personally loved the nursing tank tops with built in bra. I could wear any shirt over top of them and just pull it up to unclip the boob. If I wore a nursing bra and a shirt without a lot of stretch I had to lift up my whole shirt anyway to get access. I just felt like having the tanktop still in place was more comfortable (no belly showing) and more versatile. I have nursing bras but day to day never wore them and doubt I will the third time around. https://m.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-cotton-cami-gilligan-o-malley/-/A-13793418

Kind of a personal question, but do you find these to be supportive? I'm a bit bustier and camis with built in bras never work for me. I'd imagine that the same would be true of a nursing tank, but I like the sound of the benefits of wearing them that you've listed. Just wondering if they'd be a good fit for my body type - I know that's not really a question you'd be able to answer without having seen me though!
  • Options
    cehncehn member
    They are pretty close to the support you'd get from a regular bra/tank top combo. Maybe a little bit more. You could probably try them at the store without pulling the shirt part down over your belly. You could also do a nursing bra and nursing tank top over if you liked the idea of having the shirt flexibility. But that might not be as comfortable.
  • Options
    Ok this won't be for everyone, but I found these really great nursing bras on amazon and they are incredibly cheap. Like $7.00 cheap. I was sceptical but they got good reviews. They are wireless, stretchy and really comfortable. I ordered one in pink and then ordered two more in black and tan because I was so pleased. I haven't actually used them for nursing as I am a ftm, but I thought I would try them when all my other bras stopped fitting. I usually where a 34b or c (depending on the brand) and I had to buy a large. Granted the ladies have grown quite a bit but the largest size they have is an xl, which probably just won't be big enough for larger chested ladies. But anyway, if you are medium chested I would recommend these! They take awhile to arrive but I think it was worth the wait!

Womdee Womens Seamless Double Layer Nursing Bra Bralette (Black,L) With Womdee Accessory https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MLXWBJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_5nfivb0432A6G
  • Options

Typically anything over a DD will have to be purchased from a specialty store (at a hefty price tag) or online however especially with bra's - I feel that it is best that you have the ability to try them on. When you are nursing......your breasts will be exceptionally uncomfortable and you will want something you know will fit you well

Many women try to wait until after the 30 week mark to look into nursing bras just in case of an influx in size due to milk production you continue to grow.

Based on you size (and estimated size) the built in tanks I don't think will provide appropriate support.