November 2015 Moms
Options

Name "Stolen"

Hi Ladies,

Well, the name wasn't exactly stolen as my partner and i hadn't told a single person our favourite name, we kept it very close to our chests.
It is the ONLY boy name i like and a girl in my circle of friends who knows all the same people as i just named her son the name - GAH!

I cannot name my child that now and i know i won't find a name i like that much, has this happened to anyone else? How can i name my child a name i only sort of like? Not to mention having the name i love in my face constantly...

Thanks

Re: Name "Stolen"

• Options
    You will find a name you like just as much and then once the baby is born and you are accustomed to it you won't be able to imagine having named him the original name.
  • Options
    This happened to us. My cousin named her daughter the boy name we liked. I just figured I would find another name and if not, I will use the original name anyways.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mmk29mmk29 member

This happened to us. My cousin named her daughter the boy name we liked. I just figured I would find another name and if not, I will use the original name anyways.

My cousin and I both have sons with the same name. I honestly didn't care. Although I should mention we're not super close. We talk a lot of facebook but don't actually see each other frequently. The only people I honestly consider are my siblings, other then that if you're attached to a name I say go for it!
  • Options
    That is why I'm so glad we aren't saying anything until after we have the baby on what its name will be
  • Options
    It may be a moot point.... u may have a girl ;)
  • Options
    Jittery JillJittery Jill member
    edited March 2015
    I say use it still! If someone knew a name u might've mentioned before in the past and really liked it she stole it! Honestly I think ur baby is going to be the most important person to u and of u already know the name then thats there name already :-) See us momma bear's already know our children's names so use it :-D
  • Options
    And this may be mean, but friends come and go who knows if you're going to be friends forever. ......
  • Options
    kmd91kmd91 member
    I also think part of it depends on how common the name is, too. If it's a really unique name, your friend may feel more like you're copying the name, while if it's more common it comes off more as a coincidence. I think if you've always loved the name you shouldn't rule it out completely.
  • Options
    Personally, I would still use it
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby G
  • Options
    Use it! Who is stopping you?!
  • Options
    I told my mom that was a fear of mine, & she said just use it anyway! Lol 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you both love the name that much then I would still use it, who cares if a friend named their child that name, I'm sure there are plenty of other's that have the name as well. There is only one boy name that my husband and I like and one of my friends has a child with the same name and I couldn't care less. If you love it, use it, don't choose a name that you kind of like just because someone you know has a child with that same name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My cousin actually took the name she knew I wanted and I was preggo at the time. Glad she did though because the name we ended up going with fits my DD perfectly!
  • Options
    I love love love the name Declan for a boy, but my DH's brother and sister in law have 3 kids now. With the girl, they were very seriously considering Declynn. Now DH can't get on board with Declan because it's "their" name, but they didn't even use it! And they probably won't have any more kids! Grrr...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"