August 2015 Moms

Unexpected weight gain

I am a FTM who exercises at least 4 days a week, cardio and strength training, and eat a well balanced diet (overall). Yet these past several weeks (currently 22 weeks) I have packed on weight like crazy. The funny part is, I haven't gained inches anywhere except my boobs and tummy. Arms, legs and hips are all same as pre-pregnancy measurements. Just doesn't "make sense" to have 16 pounds go only to my boobs and belly.
Is anyone else experiencing this or had doctor input?

Re: Unexpected weight gain

• I'm almost 21 wks and have gained 17 lbs, also feel like it's all belly and boobs somehow. Maybe I'm delusional and it's other places too but I really feel like it's all out front. I gained 5 of those lbs in the last 2/3 weeks, quick gain all of a sudden.
  • I wouldn't fret too much about it.  With pregnancy, you kind of have to let your body do its thing.  I am eating and exercising the same as I did pre-pregnancy, but I am obviously still gaining weight (all in boobs and belly same as you).  It is rough for me since I loved my non-pregnant body and am not comfortable with extra weight.  But it is temporary....just stay healthy for your baby and yourself and concentrate on getting back to normal post-birth. Don't worry, it is all worth it!

• Loading the player...
  • I gained 5 in the last week... I was on vacation though... I'm up about 20 now at 21 weeks, but I started underweight. I think I gained a little over 40 with my daughter and am unfortunately on the same track this time :P Most of mine is belly and boobs also, but I'd be lying if I said my butt and thighs were not looking a little chunkier...
  • I workout 6 days a week and eat healthy. I had a big spurt (5lbs) from week 16-18, then about 4lbs from 20-22 weeks. Very little gain in between. I'm at 14lbs total now. I think it's normal to have it come in waves for some people. I also noticed the biggest changes in my bump in those weeks!
  • Sounds normal to me- I too am very active with exercise/weights and have a clean eating diet- I am up 15lbs at 22 weeks- my belly is big and my boobs are huge- this is much different then with my first, with my first I got big all over

If your pretty much eating healthy and exercising then its all necessary weight and nothing to worry about

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks for the encouragement ladies! The extra inches are clearly going to the "baby" areas. Good to know that others are eating well and exercising and still gaining a good amount. Yes, healthy should be the goal and my focus!
  • gmd88gmd88 member
    edited March 2015
    I'm so glad you posted this! I have been steadily gaining and was 12 lbs up at 19 weeks. Now at 21 weeks I am up to 19 lbs (7 lbs in 2 weeks). My habits didn't really change in this time. I totally panicked that is keep gaining 4lbs/week and be huge by August or that I had pre-eclampsia or something! I set an appointment with my OB for Friday instead of waiting for the following week. I think I may have overreacted but as a FTM with no frame of reference it's really scary! Looks like I'm not alone though. My weight is also showing all in the boobs and belly! Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"