August 2015 Moms

After delivery....

I'm a ftm and have this in the back of my head. When you give birth to your baby, I'm afraid that someone might take her or switch her. Any tips or advice for ftm and not being afraid of this issue.....

Re: After delivery....

• mrswiebe09mrswiebe09 member
    edited March 2015
    The hospitals take tons of precautions against this. You each have idendical wristbands given and they even have a chip so if anyone tries to take the baby off the floor alarms will go off. Every time your baby is brought to you the nurses check them with a scanner, and they are checked after shift changes too (I think. I my be wrong about the last part.).
  • My advice is to check out the security at your hospital. They should go over this with you if you take a tour. The hospital I am having my baby at has incredible security, which is one of the things I love about it. Things to consider: 1.) Do visitors have to check in with anyone? Where I am going they have to check in, show photo ID, get their picture taken, and wear a badge....2.) Does the hospital have security devices they put on the baby? Mine (and most do) has what they call "baby lojack" where there is a band put around the baby's ankle and if anyone were to try to exit with them, it literally locks the ward down......3.) What system is in place so you know who the actual staff/nurses are? Mine has special badges.....lastly, what is the policy on "rooming in"? With DS he was in our room the entire time except when he went for his circumscision and when the pediatrician checked him out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thankyou for your quick reply. My partner and I will be having classes and tour and will ask these questions.
  • It should help put your mind at ease once you go and see their processes.
  • Many hospitals also room baby and mom in the same room, so less chance for a mistake since your child won't be away from you that long.
  • Thankyou all for the much needed reply. I feel little better:)
  • Our baby didn't leave us. He was with me from birth and then my husband accompanied him down the hall to the nursery while they checked him out. He never left our sight.
  • Same as pp- my baby never left my side from when she was born until we walked out - anything they had to check they did in the room.
  • Yep, same as PP's. My baby never left me. Also, they check both arm bands frequently.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My hospital took precautions against this. The baby was always with me and bands were scanned all day long.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• jilladelariojilladelario member
    edited March 2015
    When my daughter was born she never left our room. The nurses would come in and check on her, but no one ever tried to take her away. She and I both had bracelets with barcodes on them and tracking chip in hers that would go off it it was removed. It worked! I asked a nurse to help get her in the carseat since I had no idea what I was doing and the bracelet fell off her foot. Another nurse was there within seconds to make sure everything was okay.

People also had to check in at the front. My husbands uncle didn't know my last name and they almost didn't let him through - they called my room to make sure that it was okay first!
  • You are watching too many lifetime movies!  LOL.  I had a similar fear when I was a FTM.  I asked to have my baby in the room with me at all times and to have dad accompany the baby if she left my room.    This last time (3rd) baby I asked the nurses to come and take her to the nursery so I could take a nap :-)  Security is pretty good at hospitals these days.  If you live in a very metropolitan area where there are many more babies and visitors etc... I would consider asking the hospital to have baby in the room with you at all times.
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I insisted my baby room with me and the baby was never taken out of my site unless my husband was with them! I was very paranoid heh. But my babies came out looking either exactly like my husband or me so I don't think they could have gotten switched without us noticing :P
  • Ha ha I guess I do watch too many lifetime shows
  • I really love that my hospital also provides the dads with a bracelet that is the only way to get into the nursery. Even better, they will only give you ONE, so if my DH takes it off before we are discharged, he's SOL as they will absolutely not replace them for any reason.

This is in addition to many of the security measures already mentioned by PPs.
  • My daughter never left our side, either.
    Trigger Warning (LC and loss) -- 
    Married May 2008 
    Beautiful daughter Alyssa born April 23, 2011 
    Precious son Isaac born at 34 weeks in April 27, 2014 with Potters Syndrome Type 4 and Down Syndrome - trusted into the arms of Jesus after 3 hours.
    Pregnant again! Due August 8, 2015 please be healthy, little one!

(results on 2/4/15 showed no Down's and it's a girl!) Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • This is reassuring. Thank you all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"