Breastfeeding

Freezer stash too old?

Help! I just found a whole stash of frozen breast milk in the back of my freezer dated 9/11/14. Think it's still good? DS is 13 months now so has moved on to WCM now but I'd like to use up my stash if possible.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Freezer stash too old?

• i don't see why not, i'm now using milk thats from october
    i always smell the milk after it's defrosted - occasionally taste to make sure it's okay

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's a good idea to taste it. My nose is too stuffy to smell anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been using frozen milk from July 2014, but it has been in a deep freezer.  Milk in the deep freezer last longer vs a regular fridge/freezer combo.
  • I only have a fridge/freezer combo
  • Frozen breast milk is good for 3-6 months
  • I believe rule of thumb is 3 month for a refrigerator freezer and 6 months for a deep freezer. I'd hate to dispose of all that liquid gold!
  • I heard one year in the freezer, and I would bet that's an "on the safe side" recommendation.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Kellymom says 1 year for a deep freezer, and 6 months for a refrigerator/freezer. If it smells okay, it's probably fine. 
  • The concern with time is not that milk has gone bad from being in the freezer for so long, but that it has lost some of its nutritional value (gaw, I wish I could find where I read that so I could quote it). Anywho, the recommendations are 6 months for a fridge and freezer combo. 12 months for a deep freezer. But I've given my 13 mo old milk that was 8 months old. I figure some nutritional value in the milk is better than no milk at all. I didn't do well rotating out my stash and had a few bags that were that old. I wasn't going to waste them. I also mixed some of it with cows when we introduced that.
  • tzsmall said:

The concern with time is not that milk has gone bad from being in the freezer for so long, but that it has lost some of its nutritional value (gaw, I wish I could find where I read that so I could quote it). Anywho, the recommendations are 6 months for a fridge and freezer combo. 12 months for a deep freezer.

This.  Though I don't know where I read it either.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"