August 2015 Moms
Options

Heart palpatations

Iv just had the most scariest episode ever, after arriving at work I all of a sudden felt extremely unwell. My heart was pounding out of my chest, my throat felt tight and I felt like I couldn't breath. After 45 minutes anambulance was called and I was taken to the maternity assessment ward. My heart-rate was 123bpm and my baby's was 174bpm. Iv never felt so scared in my life. After an hour assessment both finally dropped, my boys went to 145bpm and I was aloud to leave. I was told this can be common in pregnancy and was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and any advise on how to avoid this happening again??

Re: Heart palpatations

• Options
    I had this condition before I was pregnant. I had those episodes multiple times of day for about 3 months.
    I have been on a beta blocker for 2 years now. When I got pregnant i found out it was a category c drug and that freaked me out. I went from 10mg a day to 2.5. So far, I haven't had any episodes while being pregnant. I hope I don't. It's very scary. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I seriously thought I was going to die when my episodes started.
    My OB has warned me though that many pregnant women have these so I won't be surprised if I do.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    dev85dev85 member
    Palpitations can be more common it pregnancy due to the increased blood volume. It sounds like your symptoms were a bit more severe than I personally experienced and others have reported in a previous thread. I would follow up with your OB and PCP. Also avoid stimulants like caffeine as that can exacerbate an acute episode.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, iv never experienced anything like this before it's really taken it out of me today. Just going to make sure I take it easy from now on. :-)
  • Options
    I am currently dealing with this issue as well. My OB actually sent me to the cardiologist for it and I am under their care now as well. I have an appointment scheduled for an echocardiogram coming up to find out more of what is going on. Mine also causes dizziness and I have fallen a few times. My blood pressure is also fluctuating. Sometime extremely high and other times way too low.
  • Options
    I've been having lots of palpitations as well and was referred to a cardiologist. So far it just seems to be pregnancy related, and my doctor has put me on magnesium supplements to help.
  • Options
    So sorry you ladies are going through this also, it's extremely scary especially if it's never happend before. I'm hoping mine was a one off, I never knew it was pregnancy related. Hope u guys get the best care, I'm literally staying away from anything caffeine related and taking it as easy as possible from now on. X
  • Options
    That happened to me a few weeks ago. (currently 22 weeks.) I woke up in the middle of the night and felt like my heart was beating out of my chest, couldn't catch my breath, dizzy. I thought I was having a heart attack. I made my Dh call the paramedics. They took vitals, everything was fine. So scary. Called my Doc the next day... She said it's quite common with pregnancies. Eased my mind a bit. She said if I feel like that again, to drink cold water. I hope it never happens to you or me again!
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are experiencing this and while it sounds as if your symptoms are more severe than what I had, I thought it was worth mentioning that low iron can cause the palpations and dizziness in some as well. In my last pregnancy I was terribly low. After taking iron supplements it seemed to alleviate a bit. Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Holy crap! This was me today minus the ambulance ride and throat closure. I was able to drive to the Dr. But then was crushed over to ER for an EKG. After a few hours, it calmed back down. I can't wait to get the bill for this. Hope you are feeling better. I'm still shook up, but much better.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"