August 2015 Moms

Home Birth

Just wondering if anyone on here is planning a home birth. I am terrified of having my baby in a hospital and I am currently looking at the option of a home birth. Is your insurance covering it, or are you going to be paying out of pocket, that seems to be the biggest concern for me....I'm pretty sure my insurance will not cover it, as I work for a hospital, so obviously they want me to give birth there.

Re: Home Birth

• What makes you afraid to give birth in a hospital?
  • hitcj4687 said:

What makes you afraid to give birth in a hospital?

I second this question...especially working at a hospital, that is concerning, is the hospital you work at bad? Have you considered a birthing center? Lots of hospitals have them and they are set up to allow you to have that home birth experience but God forbid something goes wrong, you are right there with access to the right equipment/staff to care for you and baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm going to a birth center, but my midwife also offers home birth. My insurance dosnt technicaly cover home birth or the birth center, but they cover the midwifes services. So whatever they charge for the actual delivery is out of pocket but all my care up until delivery is covered. I was concerned about this and my midwife said they charge about $400-$600 for delivery on average (home or BC). That is less than my out of pocket for a hospital birth (insurance covers 70% and average hospital birth is $10k+). I didn't choose to go the birth center route because of money, but it is a nice plus. Talk to some midwives in your area, maybe they have similar set-ups.
  • Homebirth rocks!! Had two hospital births one home birth and having this one at home as well! My insurance covers but without insurance were I live the midwives usually cut you a deal if you do cash up front its only 3,500. Otherwise it's like 5,000 but I would do it in payments if I had to. Also if you get a licensed midwife the ones I know all take all sorts of insurance. I live in the NorthWest. Home birth is sooo relaxing especially if you have a good midwife and read up on everything too. There is nothing like being able to do your own thing while laboring, including water birth which is so amazing!!
  • Loss of power ( have a hard time speaking up especially with strangers) Needles, being bullied into un necessary measures, Having multiple people looking at my lady parts... I have more anxiety over having my baby at the hospital than anything else. Plus on top of it all you have to go thru the hospital to have the baby and back thru to leave with your baby....with a bunch of sick people. I know I would have a better birth and fell more comfortable at home.
  • Loss of power ( have a hard time speaking up especially with strangers) Needles, being bullied into un necessary measures, Having multiple people looking at my lady parts... I have more anxiety over having my baby at the hospital than anything else. Plus on top of it all you have to go thru the hospital to have the baby and back thru to leave with your baby....with a bunch of sick people. I know I would have a better birth and fell more comfortable at home.

You could also consider hiring a Doula if you do decide to go the hospital route - they will be in a better mindset to speak up for what you want, which you can go over with them in advance. I also hear you on germs/sick people, but the maternity ward typically isn't sick people. As for needles, you don't have to get them if you choose a hospital birth unless you test positive for Strep, in which case you would need antibiotics once you go into labor to keep baby safe. I would look at all of your options, but I wouldn't rule out a birthing center or hospital as there are ways you can help make it the experience you want it to be. At the end of the day, it is your choice and what you are comfortable with, for me I just worry too much about if anything went wrong. My SIL did home births for two of her three babies and the 2nd was born not breathing and my brother had to call 911. Scares the crap out of me.
  • That cost is for start to finish for birth and all prenatal visits blood work yada yada not just the birth itself.
  • I work at a hospital but in billing and my hospital is very medical, not into natural labor at all, also our nurses are known for being rude. But statistic wise we are a "good hospital" and have a level II NICU. It would cost me more to have my baby at a birth center, insurance only covers 70% never 100% which means I will have to pay 30% of the total bill. I know home birth cost less in general, so if my insurance does cover it my 30% will be a lot less, and if they don't my full payment will more than likely be less than the 30% I would pay for the birth center. If I was making my decision purly on money though I would have to have it at the hospital I work for, because there it is 100% covered, but I'm not sure it is worth the anxiety and possible issues that may come for having it there.
  • I tested for strep B with my daughter and went a natural route instead of antibiotics... Which my midwife offered (antibiotics) you don't need a hospital for that. Just research if you want a homebirth go interview midwives in your area and ask as many questions as you can. And if you think of more call them! If you freak out at your home (you won't) you can always go to the hospital!
  • I have absolutely nothing against home births, but for me personally, I feel more comfortable with giving birth in the hospital. My MIL is a midwife and has helped many women give home births and delivered babies with no issues. She really wanted me to do a home birth, raving about how wonderful the experience is. This being my first baby, and me being a worrier, I know i'll feel better in a hospital setting. God forbid something goes wrong, I would feel much more at ease knowing I am there. I do think home births are pretty amazing and have heard nothing but good things from them, so I would totally go for it if you want to do it!

Always hold on to hope ❤
  • I'm planning a home birth. I planned one for the first then ended up with an induction at 38 weeks in the hospital for preeclampsia. I hated the hospital and am even more determined to stay home this time (though obviously preeclampsia was out of my control). My insurance insisted they didn't cover homebirth but when it was all said and done they actually paid for every cent of my midwife's service (which was the full fee for a homebirth) AND they paid for the actual hospital birth. Worked out in my favor. We paid everything to the midwife out of pocket (just one fee, it was roughly $4000) then when insurance ended up paying my midwife just paid me back. I have different insurance this time but I'm planning on doing the same thing, paying out of pocket and then hoping they reimburse but accepting that they possibly will not. I'm happy to pay $4000 to stay out of the hospital.
  • I am having a birth at a free standing birth center. It is midwife run and operated and they also offer home births. I am a nurse and because of my medical background and research I believe that the ideal place for a low risk pregnancy is not in the hospital
  • The natural board is a great resource.

That's all I have to add as I am not interested in birthing in a birth center at all.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That's all I have to add as I am not interested in birthing in a birth center at all.

And the great thing about birth is there are so many options for women to have healthy births the way they choose

And the great thing about birth is there are so many options for women to have healthy births the way they choose
    Precisely :)
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yep. Planned home birth first time ended up with pre e and a section. Planning a home birth again. Midwife is not covered, paying 3500 out of pocket. I'm a nurse and also not comfortable with hospital birth if I can help it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I so very badly wanted to have a home birth! I absolutely hate hospitals (but do see the value in having them). It turns out that I'm too high risk though and now I'm stuck going to the hospital every two weeks :-( I wish it could've been different but it just wasn't possible for me.
  • I am curious as to why nurses feel that hospitals aren't the best place for low-risk births?  I'll be honest...I've never really researched home birth as I've just gone with my doctor and to the hospital . I also have a very sqeemish husband...but I would love to know more about the reasons why or a good place to read up as I'm very uneducated on the topic.  I have always had a great hospital experience but am surprised to see medical professionals going away from hospitals...
  • Research shows mortality in planned home births with a mw have the same mortality but home births have better morbidity. Many other countries use midwifery care and only high risk moms see obs. Plus sadly the us is substantially lagging behind other countries. Most of our babies are born in hospitals but we have poorer outcomes
  • Also as a nurse, as much as you may like your care provider, they aren't the ones with you for your birth experience start to finish. You are with nurses who go off shift. I have two midwives and a doula who will be there for the entire thing that I know and am comfortable with
  • This is so interesting to read, especially from various professional perspectives. I get nervous when I think about home births, although I have several friends who have loved their experience with them. Last summer we had three friends give birth (low risk) in hospitals. One had a prolapsed cord and had to be rushed in for an emergency C-section. Another had internal bleeding and passed out right after the birth, and had to be rushed in for a blood transfusion. The third had a "normal" birth. I just think about those moms and babies and how quickly the hospital staff had to move to literally save their lives. That summer was the deciding moment for me to choose hospital birth. 
  • I agree...I really like reading/seeing the professional prospective as well.  I have not known anyone to have a homebirth..>I've known a couple to have the baby in a birthing center...and one of them had to be rushed into the hospital for an emergency c-section...always worries me as well. Who does the newborn checks and screenings for home births?  Are mid wives trained in that? 
  • When obstetrics was first established as a medical practice, Midwives commonly were the people who trained the OB's.  Midwifery has been around for ages and many midwives are very very good at what they do.  All of that being said, I have delivered all of my babies in a hospital.  So as much as I respect the and admire the midwife community, I have never sought out a home birth.
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ChristyM87ChristyM87 member
    edited April 2015
    aminser said:

I agree...I really like reading/seeing the professional prospective as well.  I have not known anyone to have a homebirth..>I've known a couple to have the baby in a birthing center...and one of them had to be rushed into the hospital for an emergency c-section...always worries me as well. Who does the newborn checks and screenings for home births?  Are mid wives trained in that? 

Midwives are nurses who have a graduate level education specializing in well woman and obstetric care. They can do PAP smears and annual exams, STD and birth control prescriptions, prenatal care including ordering any necessary testing or bloodwork, vaginal deliveries, and post partum care. The only thing they can't do is c-sections and surgeries.

For newborn checks it will be done by my pediatecian within 48 hours of my baby's birth at the office. The newborn bloodwork will be drawn by the midwife

I have used midwives since I was 18 for well woman care and I love it. They are great at explaining things and not pressuring me into choices. I will always use midwives unless I become high risk
  • I'm planning a home birth and I am super excited for it. I feel like I will do better at home for similar reasons you have for not wanting to be in hospital. My insurance is covering it, but I think it really depends on which state you live in and the midwife you choose. Id start lookin around the net and calling midwives you find, ask them if they accept insurance and which kinds. without insurance, my midwifery practice charges 3500 for all prenatal exams and the birth. Good luck. If you find out you have to go the hospital route, look into getting a doula.
  • So I'm a RN who works at a big hospital. I would never deliver anywhere else. I have friends who babies had real issues during and after birth. If I stayed home and something went wrong I would never forgive myself. I don't care what low risk means. Where I work it's the patients you don't expect to crash often are the ones you have to watch. I have no issues with midwives but for my it is a hospital always and forever.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a nurse and I would never imagine delivering anywhere but a hospital. I'd be too neurotic about something going wrong. At least if something doesn't feel right after birth, you have 24/7 nursing care. I'd never chance it. I don't live far from the hospital but it's safer being in the hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"