Baby Names

help with #3

cg0112358cg0112358 member
edited March 2015 in Baby Names

So, we ended up using the same first letter for our son and daughter and am wondering how to proceed with #3. Our letter choosing was unintentional, for some reason all of the names we like just happen to start with A.

Son: Aidan, Daughter: Alaina; fwiw, although it's not the reason they were chosen I think these names go very well together

We are due with #3 (a girl) in August and so far my husband and I like Ansley and Aria but we're not set on those names. Looking for opinions on the two names given or other suggestions.

ETA: as a teacher I prefer common spellings of less but still recognizable common names

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~

Re: help with #3

• Honestly I would avoid another A name, especially Aria. It would have all three kids names looking identical and way to matchy. Not to mention Aria while I like it is honestly one of the trendiest names I have ever seen. The jump in usage is crazy. What about

Lucy
    Dahlia
    Miriam
    Maria
    Rosalie
    Gwendolyn
    Kendra
    Kara
    Bianca
    Elin

Or if you really like the A thing

Audra
    Audrey
    Alice

• Aria is alright, not wonderful. I'm not a fan of Ansley at all.

Aiden, Alaina and:

Bailey
    Erin
    Kira
    Madeleine
    Maxine
    Caitlin
    Cassandra
    Eloise
    Catrina
    Dinah
    Rosalind
    Marion
    Ophelia
    Iris
    Ivy
    Adina
    Dana

Love PP's suggestion of Dahlia.
  • Loading the player...
  • I said it in another post about same initials and I'll say it again; two is happenstance, three or more is cultish.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I think Ansley sounds terrible... Aria is alright.
    I'd pick a different letter for the next child.
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    I don't mind Aria

Audrey
    Abigail
    Amelia
    Adeline
    Adelaide
    Adele
    Alexa
    Alissa
    Audrina
    Adrianna
    Amelie
    Anya
    Annalise
  • Another vote or a new letter! There are so many lovely names to choose from, no reason to restrict yourself to 'A' names because there is no reason to ensure all three siblings have the same initial. If anything, it's overkill. Besides, Ansley and Aria sounds like you're scraping the bottom of the 'A' barrel just to come up with something you can stand that will "match". Don't do it.

Suggestions...
    Claire
    Elise
    Isla
    Gemma
    Brenna
    Brynn
    Calista
    Mia

Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • I am going to dissent. I personally find it strange when I hear two kids with the same first initial and one odd man out. I personally would avoid the alliteration all together, but I think once you started, you shouldn't stop. Plus, vowel sounds aren't as noticeable as consonants (like the dreaded Ks).

That said, I like Ansley. It doesn't end in -an or -a like the other names, so it sounds different enough despite the A. It also fits the style of your other children's names (trendy-ish, modern). Don't love Aria.

Other suggestions:

Abigail
    Amory
    Ashby

• Thanks for all of the suggestions! For some reason we just have a really tough time with girl names, it would definitely have been easier picking a boy name for some reason.

brita722 said:

Another vote or a new letter! There are so many lovely names to choose from, no reason to restrict yourself to 'A' names because there is no reason to ensure all three siblings have the same initial. If anything, it's overkill. Besides, Ansley and Aria sounds like you're scraping the bottom of the 'A' barrel just to come up with something you can stand that will "match". Don't do it.

Not that it's going to change your opinions on the names but those are actually some of the other names, along with Arianna, that DH and I considered before we picked Alaina. For some reason we can't seem to come to any consensus on girl names other than A (and that was before we picked my daughter's name). We honestly aren't intentionally trying to pick another A name but those seem to be the only names we seem to like when they come up. Apparently we're both very picky with girl names :(

So far, I kinda like

• Claire - but that is my daughter's MN so that's out
    • Elise - definitely running that one by my husband, my favorite out of the bunch
    • Cassie - I like the shortened name, not sure about Cassandra
    • Audrey - I love the name but it's got a bad connection for my husband
    • Bailey - I kinda like this but at the same time it's used for boys and girls down here and I prefer to stick to gender specific names
    LizWhiz87 said:

I am going to dissent. I personally find it strange when I hear two kids with the same first initial and one odd man out. I personally would avoid the alliteration all together, but I think once you started, you shouldn't stop. Plus, vowel sounds aren't as noticeable as consonants (like the dreaded Ks).

That said, I like Ansley. It doesn't end in -an or -a like the other names, so it sounds different enough despite the A. It also fits the style of your other children's names (trendy-ish, modern). Don't love Aria.

I kinda feel this way in that #3's name might not fit as well as Aidan and Alaina. Ansley is one that's fairly common down here, along with Ainsley. As far as it goes, I'm not stuck on the same initial as much as on keeping the names similar in style. For example, Barbara is a perfectly good name but Aidan, Alaina, and Barbara just doesn't sound right to me.

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • @cg0112358 Eliza is similar to Elise as well, if you want another suggestion.

I'd always suggest using a longer proper name than just a nickname, like Cassandra or even Cassidy rather than just Cassie. Sounds more professional as an adult name on a resume, and when she gets older that means she gets the option of a full name.
  • I prefer Ainsley to Ansley, personally. Other A names:

Amelia
    Audra
    Andie
    Adelaide
    Adeline
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • please dont use ansley it is horrid. (anal ease)

Aria is better

amelia
    Amy
    Annalise
    April
    Anna
    Aster
    Annmarie
    Alana
    Antoinette
    Annette
    Adriana