Baby Names

Narrowing down the names

We are 3 weeks away from Baby #2 and we are working on our names list. I named our DD1 (Sadie) so DH thinks it's his turn to choose the name. His name choices tend to be a bit ... different. Here is what he's down to....

Girls:

Charis

Ripley

Sawyer

Domino

Boys:

Cason

Aliath (pronounced like Elias, but with a th...)

Navarro

Middle name for girl will likely be August and middle names for a boy will be either Harris, Heinz or a combo. Thoughts? I have a fave from each list and some that I don't think I can live with but I will leave that out of the equation and just wait to see what you ladies think without me biasing you :)

Re: Narrowing down the names

• Charis is ok, but NMS. All the rest are TERRIBLE!! Sadie is a sweet, lovely name. See if you can get your DH to consider something that "goes" with Sadie.
  • Loading the player...
  • Charis is alright, but doesn't sound very good with August. Honestly, I would scrap everything else. :/ Ripley and Sawyer are boy names, and no offense but naming a child Domino is really mean. Aliath and Navarro are made up and don't sound too good. Cason isn't much better.

Here are some suggestions that are somewhat similar, maybe you can get your husband to compromise!

Girls - Any way you might consider Augusta instead of August?
    Charis - Carrie, Karen, Carmen
    Ripley - Rhiannon, Aurora nn Rory
    Sawyer - Selene, Samantha, Savannah
    Domino - Diana, Dahlia, Dinah

Boys - What is a 'combo' of Harris and Heinz?
    Cason - Jason, Carson, Peyton
    Aliath - Atlas, Elias, Silas
    Navarro - Nathan, Nero
  • Charis is the only name worth keeping. And it's spelled right!

Charis Augusta is nice.
  • I agree with pps. Charis is ok. I don't care for any of the other choices At all.
    Me:27 DH:27
    Married: May 2013
    TTC#1 since Nov 2014
    MC June 2015
    MC January 2016
    Compound Hetero MTHFR Gene Mutation
  • 27JB27JB member

Oh boy. That's basically what I've been thinking too. Charis is my number one favorite and Cason is the boys name that I can tolerate. I considered Charis Augusta but we have a last name that ends with -a and I don't love how it sounds together... I prefer August which has special meaning for us as it's our anniversary of dating/getting married/finding out we were expecting this baby (all actually on the exact same day).

Combo of Harris/Heinz wouldn't be an actual combination of the names into one but something like Harris Heinz, Heinz Harris, Harris or Heinz. It's for my grandfathers and are family names which wouldn't be continued after this baby so I would like to have both in there. I don't care too much for what the middle name sounds like, it's the first name that's stressing me out!!

My choices would be...

Girl

Charis

Ruby

Boy

Cohen (LOVE this one)

Theo

• I'm sorry but these names are seriously making me cringe! I can't even get past Domino. Also, August is a male name so does not work well as a female MN although at least it wouldn't be in the FN slot. I agree that Charis Augusta sounds okay but NMS and I'd be a little worried pronunciation issues for Charis. Cason is fine but I've only ever seen it spelled Cayson. I'm not sure if either are legimate names though,
  • samanthaj0esamanthaj0e member
    edited March 2015
    27JB said:

Oh boy. That's basically what I've been thinking too. Charis is my number one favorite and Cason is the boys name that I can tolerate. I considered Charis Augusta but we have a last name that ends with -a and I don't love how it sounds together... I prefer August which has special meaning for us as it's our anniversary of dating/getting married/finding out we were expecting this baby (all actually on the exact same day).

Combo of Harris/Heinz wouldn't be an actual combination of the names into one but something like Harris Heinz, Heinz Harris, Harris or Heinz. It's for my grandfathers and are family names which wouldn't be continued after this baby so I would like to have both in there. I don't care too much for what the middle name sounds like, it's the first name that's stressing me out!!

My choices would be...

Girl

Charis

Ruby

Boy

Cohen (LOVE this one)

Theo

Ruby is lovely!!! Theodore nn Theo is also a great choice. Cohen is actually very insensitive... please read:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/05/05/the-big-baby-naming-battle.html

ETA: Charis is a real name and spelled correctly. It's pronounced care-iss, so hopefully that's what you're aiming for. Cason is not a real name.
  • 27JB said:

My choices would be...

Girl

Charis

Ruby

Boy

Cohen (LOVE this one)

Theo

Oh honey, you just opened up a can of worms. I'll get the popcorn.
  • Charis - This is okay, but so much less feminine than Sadie

Ripley - Reminds me of Alien, and it's a surname with male connotations

Sawyer - Male

Domino - WHUTTT, no. This is poo poo.

Boys:

Cason - Made up

Aliath (pronounced like Elias, but with a th...) - UMMMMM no

Navarro - Like Dave Navarro? How bout Navarr-NO

I see that you like Ruby and Theo. Those are both fantastic names and I implore you to choose them.

• i like Sawyer for a girl or boy. I know I'm in the minority... But, also sounds good with Sadie. Don't like the boy names. Good luck!
  • Do not name your child domino. I instantly think Pizza, so so so bad. Sawyer, not the worst, but I think instantly people will assume you have one boy one girl. Ripley, again, so so bad. Back to the drawing board I'd say.
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• 4N6s4N6s member
    Girls:

Charis - I prefer Carys. Charis looks like chairs to me... And i like the pronunciation care-iss more than Kar-iss

Ripley - Riley?

Sawyer - Stephanie. Stella.

Domino - Dominic.

Boys:

Cason - Carson

Aliath (pronounced like Elias, but with a th...) - awful. Go with Elias.

Navarro - way too surname-y for me.

Keep working.
  • 27JB27JB member
    I'm hopeful that after he sees me going through a grueling labor and pushing out a likely 10 pound baby he will allow my vote to have more weight but he is determined that I got to pick one and he gets to pick one. Obviously I want him to love his child's name.... I just wish he didn't have such crazy taste! I never should have let him buy the "Cool  Baby Names" book : p
  • What about August for a boy and Augusta for a girl--both first names if August has so much meaning for you? As only a mn I think it is fine for either gender.
  • What about August for a boy and Augusta for a girl--both first names if August has so much meaning for you? As only a mn I think it is fine for either gender.

Love this idea.
  • Wow! I normally try to not say anything too negative about names but those are awful! I don't care for a a single name on that list! Sadie is cute...maybe your husband will come to his senses on this.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Sorry but I agree that these are horrible! They don't "go with" Sadie at all and are just weird, made up names. I think names need to be at least a little bit of a compromise. There's no way I'd let him name my child any of these things.

I like Carys a lot and Ruby is great too. Theo is ok. I think you need to go back to the drawing board and figure this thing out together!
  • 27JB said:

I'm hopeful that after he sees me going through a grueling labor and pushing out a likely 10 pound baby he will allow my vote to have more weight but he is determined that I got to pick one and he gets to pick one. Obviously I want him to love his child's name.... I just wish he didn't have such crazy taste! I never should have let him buy the "Cool  Baby Names" book : p

Ya pry throw that book out. Tell him to look on www.behindthename.com If the name isn't on there it's vetoed.

Charis is actually great!
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You do realize you are naming a baby right?
    This is a person that must go through life with this name.
    It is very scary or mud
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"