Spelling Opinions — The Bump
Baby Names

Spelling Opinions

Hi all! We love the name Alaina/Elaina/Elena but cannot decide on the spelling. We want it pronounced UH lay nuh.

I can see where Alaina could get pronounced AH lay nuh, Elaina EE lay nuh, and Elena EH len uh.

Which spelling do you think we should go with to get the pronunciation we're looking for? Thanks in advance :-)

Re: Spelling Opinions

• 4N6s4N6s
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    I know an Alaina and she pronounces it uh-lane-uh.
    I think Elena is uh-lean-uh? And Elaina is ee-lane-uh?

Not sure what's correct, but that's how I'd pronounce them.
    Spence903
  • Frogger5Frogger5
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 500 Comments 5 Answers
    edited March 2015
    I think Alaina is the most likely to get the sound you're looking for and the least likely to be mispronounced, but it's going to constantly need to be spelled for people because there are lots of possibilities. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just not as easy as saying, "My name's Susan" or whatever.

I think I may have misunderstood what you were going for - do you want the stress on the first syllable, or did you just capitalize the letters to emphasize the vowel differences? If it's the stress you're looking for, I don't think that's possible. If it's the second option, then yeah, what I said originally :).
    Spence903
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your help ladies! I agree that Alaina is probably going to work best. (And I just capitalized the pronunciation to separate it from the name, not to stress that syllable. My fault)
  • I think you want Alaina. That makes me think -uh. The Es will probably be pronounced -e or -eh.
    Spence903knowmeinadifferentlight
  • If you want to pronounce it that way go with Alaina. Personally, I would never use the name just because I know it would get misspelled and mispronounced which would be frustrating. Beautiful name though!

Spence903
  • Spence903Spence903
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Love Its Photogenic
    edited March 2015
    Thanks! Sadly people will mispronounce even the simplest of names. My name is common, Jessica, and gets misspelled and mispronounced with a silent J or like Jes E ca all the time. My mom's name is Mary and people read it as Marie. I don't get it...
    Sassenach1743