Baby Names

Really need advice :/

Hi everybody it's a long one so I'll try and keep it simple. I'm on baby number 5 .. A very big shock as we were not trying. My other 4 children are to a previous relationship and all have my surname but have a good relationship with their dad. My new partner wants our new baby to have his name but I feel it will be the odd one out at school and stuff am I being silly ? He says it's important to him but I can't help feeling our new lil one needs the same name as me and his brothers and sisters .. Any advice in this would be great ! X

Re: Really need advice :/

• I think it would be strange for the new baby to have the last name of a man he or she is not related to. I understand that you don't want the new baby to feel left out, but I don't think that is the solution. Plus you don't want your new partner to be left out either. Plenty of people have blended families now with different last names mixed in. Your new baby will know how much his or her siblings love him or her even with different last names.

• Loading the player...
  • jennygirlmtjennygirlmt member
    edited March 2015
    I don't think there's an issue having a blended family with different names. I assume your children have your maiden name, and not the name of their father?

Is your partner your husband? I'm a traditionalist so my first inclination is to say this man is the father and thus the baby would take his name. However, my feelings change when you aren't married, and in that respect would say the baby should have your last name if that's how you feel....

Honestly, it's a hard one. But I wouldn't make the decision based on any feelings of being left out, confusion at school, etc. I would make it based on your relationship and an agreeable decision between you and your partner. What about a hyphenated last name with both of your names?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Oh...my misunderstanding! Sorry about that!

That's a little different then. I can still see your new partner's perspective, but I understand your dilemma a bit more. That seems like it could go either way...I agree with what pp's said. Good luck!

• Give the baby  both

Your name going last

He is not your Husband but is the babies father. So put his name-your name on certificate
    You said new partner so who knows how long it will last. 

I just dont go along with the whole baby gets dads last name ideal, not in this day and age.
  • I think not using his last name sends a very strong message about your relationship. I would only not use it, if things are basically over. There are so many blended families now last names are nbd. I always had a different last name than my mom, and it never seemed weird to me, because half of my friends were in the same boat.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I'd use the fathers surname.
  • I think not using his last name sends a very strong message about your relationship. I would only not use it, if things are basically over. There are so many blended families now last names are nbd. I always had a different last name than my mom, and it never seemed weird to me, because half of my friends were in the same boat.

All of this. If having your last name is important use it as the middle name. I think a child should have their father's last name unless he's not going to be in the picture which doesn't sound like the case here.

I'm curious though, is there a reason your other four children didn't take their father's name?

• Thanks for all yor replies :) the other four children have my maiden name - I haven't really got a reason it just sounded better than my ex name and he didn't see a problem with it. When I say new partner we have been together 5 years so I guess he isn't new lol . I'm very commited to him although I can't help feeling my child should have my name and in the future if we get married then change it however he feels I'm pushing him out ? It's all very confusing .. Step families ! Now my daughter who is 8 said well if the baby is having Paul's name ( my partner ) then I want it to !! I'm worried that this would obviously upset their "real" dad if all the children changed .. The plot thickens ... Xx
  • I have half brothers and sisters who do not share the same last name as me.  I really don't care, and see this as a non issue.  You don't become more or less of a sibling to someone based on what your last name is.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

• I have half brothers and sisters who do not share the same last name as me.  I really don't care, and see this as a non issue.  You don't become more or less of a sibling to someone based on what your last name is.

This
  • I would suggest hyphenating the two names if it doesn't sound too strange.
  • You feelthat your baby should have your name. My assumption is that so does he. Jst because you carried the child does not make it any less his. Basedon your statement, you feel pushed out by him wanting his last name. Turn that around and thats how.he is feeling. My choice would be to hyphenate and please both parties and then the kids also share part of their name as well.
  • I don't feel that having a different last name than your sibling is a huge deal. You always know who your family is, regardless of their last name!! I grew up with 2 siblings that had a different last name and 1 that had the same. I didn't know why for a very long time, and it never even crossed my mind or bothered me in the slightest. I was given the option to change my last name to my dad's (the man who raised me, not my biological father) when my mom and him were married. I was 7 or 8 at the time, and I chose not to. Not because I didn't want to, but because his last name is silly!
    The only time I could see a problem arising is when you are travelling outside of your own borders. Having a different last name than the parent that is travelling with the child, can make leaving the country a challenge. For example, if you live in Canada and want to go for a day trip to the US, the border security can make a fuss about it.

I wouldn't want you to hurt your new partner's feelings by not using his last name for your guys' baby. Have either of you considered changing his last name to yours? It is fairly untraditional but it seems like the easiest solution to me. Then you don't have to go through the hassle of changing 4 little ones names to match and then your own.

Or or or, he could even compromise and have his name hyphenated with yours and have the new baby with the same hyphenation. IE dad and new baby are both HisLastName-YourLastName and then everyone else is still YourLastName. That way everyone is almost the same and he still gets to "carry on his family legacy" per say.

Good luck to ya!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"