Baby Names

Does this girl name flow well?

Karis Jane, last name is three syllables and starts with a C. I know the preferred spelling on this board is Carys, but we prefer Karis and it is a legitimate spelling of the name, not made up. Just wondering if it flows well or not with Jane. I think a two syllable mn like Marie (or something with a similar sound to it) sounds a little better, but hubby really likes Jane. Thought I would see what others thought of the combo. Thanks! :)

Re: Does this girl name flow well?

• 4N6s4N6s member
    I think Carys Jane sounds fine.
  • Jane Seems to go with every name. Carys Jane is lovely.
  • Loading the player...
  • It flows nice. Like PPs I prefer Carys but clearly you've put a lot of thought into the spelling. I think Karis Jane and Karis Marie (or something like that) flow equally well, but I much prefer Jane. I know so many people with the MN Marie.

• Carys. I'm not finding any legitimate variations.
  • Karis is a variation of Charis, which is greek and means grace.

https://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Karis

https://www.babynames.com/name/Karis
  • CHARIS
    OTHER SCRIPTS: Χαρις (Ancient Greek)
    PRONOUNCED: KAR-is (English)   [key]
    Meaning & History
    Feminine form of CHARES. It came into use as an English given name in the 17th century.
    Related Names
    VARIANT: Caris (English)
    DIMINUTIVES: CharissaCarissaKarissa (English)
    OTHER LANGUAGES: Haris (Greek)
    Popularity
    image England and Wales - image
    CARYS
    USAGE: Welsh
    Meaning & History
    Derived from Welsh caru meaning "love". This is a relatively modern Welsh name, in common use only since the middle of the 20th century.
    Related Names
    VARIANT: Cerys
    Popularity
    image England and Wales ranked #328 image
    Charis and Carys are two different names. Charis is Greek while Carys is a (modern) Welsh. 

Karis does not seem to be a legitimate variation of either.
  • I think Karis Jane is nice. I like the spelling Carys better too, though.
  • I think it flows fine. Karis is definitely a modern spelling that hasn't been recognized yet. If that doesn't bother you, fine, but I prefer Carys for sure!
  • Carys

Neither site you put is legit.

• Just wondering, what makes the sites I found not legit? Not looking to argue, just genuinely want to know. I am someone who hates made up spellings! I have thought for years that Karis is legit. Not just from those two sites, but have met a girl with that spelling and there are a few minitries with that name and spelling, so I've never questioned it!
  • For legitimacy reasons, I use Behind the name, because they post the etymology and user submitted names are noted as such. 
    The sites you posted, while not terrible, does not allow for that and as such, will accept nearly any name. 

Sadly, just because you have met someone with a name doesn't mean the variation is legit. People have been making names "special" for a while now. 

That said. Charis and Carys are two different names, and mean two different things. If you want the Greek name, I'd stick with the original Greek spelling.
  • I think it sounds lovely. Ignore the comments on the spelling, you clearly weren't asking about that :-)
  • I think what @wassuphoes said is important when choosing a spelling. Carys and Charis are two different names, and by spelling the name Karis, it's really unclear which name you are trying to spell. It basically just becomes its own made-up name. If one of the above names is important to you, stick with the original Greek.
  • Thank you @wassuphoes for clarifying, I appreciate that. Looks like I have a little more research to do! I love the name, but really dislike the spelling Carys and Charis.
  • mlc100805 said:

Thank you @wassuphoes for clarifying, I appreciate that. Looks like I have a little more research to do! I love the name, but really dislike the spelling Carys and Charis.

I would keep looking, maybe keep Carys/Charis/Karis as a middle name. Spelling is what makes the name.
  • Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    edited March 2015

I think it sounds lovely. Ignore the comments on the spelling, you clearly weren't asking about that :-)

The purpose of this board is to discuss names; i.e. the etymology & meaning (including spelling, variants, diminutives, etc.). 

To tell someone to ignore our comments regarding such is ignorant and poor advice. When we see a name that we know is not a proper name, variant, or spelling of either we speak up. If you don't want information, opinions, or comments then don't post. If you want to ignore them, fine. If you want to comment that you think a member should use a name that is not proper simply because they like it, fine. But telling them to ignore comments given by other members that are responding with honest feedback on the suggested name is rude and unnecessary. Especially when the main issue with this name is not whether it flows but that it is not a proper variant of the name she thought she was choosing. This information is vital and I think the OP can see that and make up her own mind (as stated in a follow up post she made). So really, your comment is erroneous.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • My sisters name is Karis! She's 22 and everyone always loves it when they meet her. She does end up spelling it for people but you would have that with either of the other spellings as well. Or any name that isnt cookie cutter popular. I think you'd have more trouble with people pronouncing it with the other spellings. We call her kari for short. Her middle name is Miriam so we also call her kari Mim! I like Jane and marie as middle names for Karis. It's a great name! If you like it, use it!
  • I have such a lady boner for you, @brita722
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"