Baby Names

Isla

anorthroanorthro member
edited March 2015 in Baby Names
I came across the name Isla for a girl and I love it. It's a Scottish name. I'm concerned that it's hard to pronounce. How would you say "Isla"?
CafeMom Tickers

Re: Isla

• Isla has become popular enough that people know how to say it properly. It's actually almost trendy.

• Thanks. I've never heard it so I had no idea.
    CafeMom Tickers

• Loading the player...
  • It's pronounced eye-la, and I love the name. I use to worry that people would pronounce it is-la, but it's growing in popularity, so I don't see that being a problem.
  • I love it too!! It was on my list but my husband doesn't like it :(
  • I also think it's becoming tendry, but I love it. One of my favorite little girl names, but my husband doesn't like it.
  • mrs1374a said:

I also think it's becoming tendry, but I love it. One of my favorite little girl names, but my husband doesn't like it.

Totally agree... even down tot he husband part. LOL. I hate that it's becoming popular but that definitely helps the pronunciation problem.

• bbiutmcph said:

Isla has become popular enough that people know how to say it properly. It's actually almost trendy.

This exactly. I think most people know how to pronounce it (and anyone who puts thought into it should figure it out anyway).

Despite it being on the verge of trending, it's a great name. I absolutely love it.
  • It's beautiful!
  • ==N====N== member
    Eye-la. It's pretty, but getting too popular for me.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My coworkers has a two year old whose name is Isla May. I think it's beautiful. You'll definitely get some people who don't know how to spell it but it's becoming more popular as PPs have said so it shouldn't be TOO big of a problem.
  • My DD is Isla. We do get Iz-la pronunciation sometimes but honestly once we say "eye-la" people get it. One of my biggest hesitations was the trendiness. Wishful thinking for me is that it's peaked:)
  • One of my favorites too! I think of the actress Isla Fischer for pronunciation ... I don't think too many people will goof it up.
  • eye-la.  It is getting trendy, but there are definitely people who think it is is-la.  It is a beautiful name.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks ladies.  I love it, too.  I just worry that people will pronounce it "is-la" instead of "eye-la."  I live in Vermont - maybe we are just too far removed from the rest of the country because nobody here is named Isla!  It looks like its popularity has peaked according to the baby name websites, but I'll take it from you all that it's becoming trendy.  We really want to avoid super trendy names.  
    CafeMom Tickers

• This is one if the names We are using for our twins! My husband came up with it and I had no idea how popular it had become til I started reading on the baby name boards. Either way I love it!
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"