1st Trimester
Options

Need Support- Disappointing first appointment

Hi Ladies-

I had my first appointment following BFP today.  I'm not sure how I feel...

Before I had my first son (he is now 2 1/2), I experienced a blighted ovum.  It was a sad time to say the least, but we made it through and I was blessed with two beautiful and health baby boys. A couple days before St. Patrick's Day, I got a BFP!  This was an unplanned pregnancy (unlike the first two) and I wasn't sure how it happened because my cycles have not been regular at all since the birth of my last son in March 2014.  I have had a cycle that was 29 days and then one that was 42.  

So, based on my last period (2/8/2015), I am approximately 6.5 weeks along.  But, the nurse/doctor could not see a heart beat or really much of anything other than a sac and maybe something small inside the sac.  I asked if it was a blighted ovum and they said it's possible.  I am so devastated.  I don't want to go through this again.

They did lab work to check the hcg and progesterone levels.  The nurse said she had a feeling it was just too early, but my OBGYN just didn't seem optimistic.  

I am REALLY hoping my ovulation was way off and that it's just too early, but part of me is already in mourning having gone through this before.  What are the odds?  I know the exact start dates of my period for the last 6-7 months.  They haven't been regular and although I had my period on 2/8/2015 perhaps I didn't ovulate as suggested.  I just keep running these scenarios through my head!

Anyone ever have this experience?
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Need Support- Disappointing first appointment

• Options
    Megan072414Megan072414 member
    edited March 2015
    Hey! I think I can help. So, my cycles were so off lately. My last cycle was actually Jan 1st.. So I'd be 12 weeks according to that. I went to the doctor and they said I should have been 10 weeks but all they could see was the yolk sac.. No heart beat or anything. I went back 2 weeks later and they did measurements and said I was only 6.5 weeks and could see the heartbeat! So far everything is good. They just use your last cycle as an estimate, if your cycles are off it is likely that you aren't as far along as you think. Have them check your hcg levels. They did that for me. As long as your hcg levels are increasing that means your baby is growing and hopefully you'll be able to see more soon! Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh they also said my hcg levels were high and they should've been able to see something. My OBGYN didn't seem very optimistic either. But they took my levels again and they went up even more and that's when they saw the heartbeat :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the response.  I'm online like a crazed animal trying to analyze 'possible' ovulation dates LOL...I'm trying to remain hopeful:)
  • Options
    Thanks so much for sharing!  It gives me a bit of reassurance.  Glad you and baby are well:)
  • Options
    I think it's entirely possible that you ovulated late. I got my BFP this time at 4w4d which is too early to see much of anything on an U/S. Try not to worry mama! It's all out of your control at this point, so just try to breathe. I hope you have a healthy & happy pregnancy!
  • Options
    Like others have said it's probably a bit early to see anything I had my 1st us at 7w 3d and they could not tell anything other then measure and reschedule me for a 10w appt. Then at 10w is when they will hear the heart beat and give you an edd. Another thing is not to make you feel bad is That the first trimester anything can happen and this will not be your fault. That's why they say not to get your hopes up till I believe the 12th week. Since you already stated you had problems before they might have to monitor you more often but I would not be discouraged just wait to see what happens.
  • Options
    I'm really irregular. The cycle I got pregnant on was a 36 day cycle. Before that was a 28 day cycle and before that one, a 47 day cycle.

My dating ultrasound showed me to be 5 days 6 weeks. I should have been almost 9 weeks according to my last period. But, knowing how irregular I am, this wasn't a worry. They went from my ultrasound for the gestation.

Before this pregnancy I had experienced a missed miscarriage. I know the same fear you are feeling. If something is off, you are more likely to worry.

Just remember you know you are irregular so there's high chance you just caught the early stages of pregnancy and all is fine. It's often very hard to see anything before 6 weeks, because baby is so tiny still.

Goodluck! :)
  • Options
    with my first two (boys) my hcg would not show up on a test for 3 months with my first, and 2 with my second.
    I am pregnant for the third time and my hcg finally showed early at 6 weeks. 
    I hope you don't get disappointed...
    Heartbeats usually cannot be heard or seen that early. My Dr. didn't even schedule an ultrasound or anything until I am 10 weeks because thats when you can hear it. I think 6 weeks might just be too early.  

If it also makes you feel better, I suffered from PMDD and PCOS ( ovarian cysts )  I was SO desperate for another baby after my oldest got so big... I had to take metformin to help get pregnant.  After trying and trying for about a year, and after taking metformin for a few months, I got pregnant with my second son.... 
    This third one, was completely a surprise. I wasn't ready for another one and had a birth control appt for that wednesday. On the Saturday before, I found out I was pregnant again...  I thought my husband and I couldn't just get pregnant because of my cysts and all.. but it did. So don't ever lose hope!

35 Weeks with Baby Boy #3 

Jace Thomas- 2 years old and Zachary William 5 years old!

• Options
    even when I was irregular and had cysts. I noticed that I would ovulate exactly 2 weeks after my first day of my period.

So lets say you started on January 1st,  calculate exactly two weeks from that.  You would get January 15th.

Thats the date I stick by... always seems to be right.  I also know because when ovulation hits, I have a specific kind of discharge that I don't see during the rest of the month. (nothing gross lol its normal...) but yeah. Hope that might help you some.

35 Weeks with Baby Boy #3 

Jace Thomas- 2 years old and Zachary William 5 years old!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"