March 2015 Moms
Options

Cluster feeding?

My LO is 8 days old now and she won't get off the breast. She'll nurse and nurse from one until it's empty and then jump on the other one until that's empty and then jump back to the other one. It's a vicious cycle, she just nursed for almost 4 hours so I caved and gave her 2 oz of formula and she finally seems satiated and finally went down for a nap. Please, tell me it gets better, this has been every day and it's getting hard to believe its "normal".

Re: Cluster feeding?

• Options
    Sounds like she is trying to build your supply. Is she completely draining each breast? Does she take herself off it or are you moving her yourself? The hind milk is what comes at the end and it is very filling. Sometimes the breast seems empty but there is still good rich milk coming out. After she finishes one side I would try and express some. See what you find, if it is still producing and is rich then try putting her back on. Are you familiar with La Leche League?
  • Options
    Totally normal! Mine was like that a few days ago too. It won't last very long, just enough to ramp up your supply. Make sure to count her soiled diapers. If she's feeding excessively and always hungry, but has very little dirty diapers, it might be a latch issue. Check out llli.org
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby is also 8 days old and was doing this as well. She has a bad tongue tie and slight lip tie and she's down 10% her birth weight. Now I have to supplement with formula because she's not getting enough milk from me. Does your baby have any latch issues??
  • Options
    secretbabasecretbaba member
    edited March 2015
    My 5 day old does this every night for 2-3 hours and my midwife said it's perfectly normal in order to establish supply. But that's only my case, if it's bugging you and you've already considered formula then maybe call a lactation consultant of some sort. They should be able to help!

ETA grammar
  • Options
    Mine did this. She would fall asleep after feeding on one side for thirty minutes, but would wake wanting more as soon as I would try to move her. I was worried it was because I wasn't producing enough, but she would have residual on her mouth afterwards and I have to change her as often as I feed her. She was like this for three days (though thankfully seemed to be satisfied with the night feedings). Yesterday she finally let up a little; while driving home she got fussy & cried for about fifteen minutes until I was able to feed her, then she lazily ate for 10-15 minutes and then passed out. I let her sleep for about an hour then fed her again, she are for another 15 minutes and passed out again.
    She'll still have a big feeding occasionally, but has cut back a bit. I've started pumping the other breast if she passes out on one side.
  • Options
    KD32412 said:

Totally normal! Mine was like that a few days ago too. It won't last very long, just enough to ramp up your supply. Make sure to count her soiled diapers. If she's feeding excessively and always hungry, but has very little dirty diapers, it might be a latch issue. Check out llli.org

This !!
    Mine was the same way, so I also supplemented with a little formula a couple of times.
    My baby is two weeks old now and it has gotten so much easier. This is my first time breast feeding, so I was nervous too. It all gets easier and less painful really soon so don't give up or stress :)
  • Options
    This is totally normal and supplementing is not recommended or necessary (see kellymom).

Most of the milk your baby gets is not what's already in the breast so don't think there's nothing left bc your breasts feel empty. Most of the milk is produced on demand.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"