April 2014 Moms
Options

Colds & Ear Infections

So DD is a daycare baby which equals lots of colds/germs/viruses...She was sick from Christmas until 2 weeks ago when she went out with a bang by getting and giving us all a wretched stomach virus!

Now DD is getting another cold. My question to all of you is when your LO gets a cold/congestion do you find if you keep up with the snot-sucking they don't end up with an ear infection or has it not made a difference? We do it all, elevate the mattress, humidifier, Vicks vaporizer, snot-sucking, warm baths, steam showers, etc. I haven't been able to determine really since she's been sick so long if it makes a difference, so I thought I'd check in with you.

Re: Colds & Ear Infections

• Options
    I'm so glad im not the only ones we have been battling illnesses with our LO all winter too. it's one thing after another after catching the flu. He also now has an ear infection which we tried to treat with amoxicillin but was allergic to and now trying with another antibiotic. I really hope this comes to an end soon and we can have a healthy baby again. I'm out of sick days and work is starting to get fustrated! I hope your LO gets better soon. I decided to keep sucking his nose this time to help his ear infection but I'm not sure if this will help or not just hoping it will.
  • Options
    @Bwong83, I'm in the same boat! No more time off available at work and just sickness after sickness. I've been using saline and cleaning out her nose twice a day in hopes it won't get stuck in her ears. It seems amoxicillin is the only thing that works for DD. My guess is you guys don't sleep at night either?? Let's toast to spring and healthier says!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm out of days off.  We're on ear infection #8 (it's a double this time).  We've got an ENT visit scheduled mid March.  We're on Cefdinir at the moment but it doesn't seem to be doing anything, and amoxicillin didn't work at all either.  Of course, we're 6 days in to the antibiotics and his snot is now green and he's developing a cough.  Going back into the dr tomorrow :(
  • Options
    The worst, @smushi. I hope your LO is on the mend soon and that you are able to figure something out regarding days off....
  • Options
    Glad I'm not alone it is non stop! So far my daughter has had 5ths disease, roseolla, colds pretty much every other week, and now has a stomach virus shockingly no ear infection (I'm sure I just jinxed myself)
  • Options
    That sucks what you're going through. I have 1 with ear tubes who went down that sort of path and I really don't think extra effort on my part of nose sucking would have prevented his ear infections.  I have to say that i'm still in disbelief as to how well those ear tubes work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with this, but I wanted to offer my sympathy and hope that all of this clears up an gets better ASAP!

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Options
    CosmoAnne1CosmoAnne1 member
    edited February 2015
    My poor guy just turned 11m yesterday. He has had had his right ear infected for 12weeks and his left ear 10 weeks. He has been on 4 different antibiotics with no help. We saw an ENT yesterday and he suggested we do tubes in his ears. We went over our options and the Dr. Explained that Blake was on a very aggressive antibiotic regimen and it hasn't even touched his infections. My poor guy is miserable. His balance is off he fell and busted his lip last night. I hope this helps him. I will keep your little one in my thoughts ❤️
  • Options

The worst, @smushi. I hope your LO is on the mend soon and that you are able to figure something out regarding days off....

Thanks for the kind words.  Of course, it snowed all last night and all morning and the Saturday clinic is closed for inclement weather.  And it's now turned into croup.

Just can't catch a break.
  • Options

My poor guy just turned 11m yesterday. He has had had his right ear infected for 12weeks and his left ear 10 weeks. He has been on 4 different antibiotics with no help. We saw an ENT yesterday and he suggested we do tubes in his ears. We went over our options and the Dr. Explained that Blake was on a very aggressive antibiotic regimen and it hasn't even touched his infections. My poor guy is miserable. His balance is off he fell and busted his lip last night. I hope this helps him. I will keep your little one in my thoughts ❤️

Oh gosh that is rough :( So sorry he busted his lip on top of everything else!  I'm hopeful the ENT has a good solution for us too.
  • Options
    Smores730 said:

That sucks what you're going through. I have 1 with ear tubes who went down that sort of path and I really don't think extra effort on my part of nose sucking would have prevented his ear infections.  I have to say that i'm still in disbelief as to how well those ear tubes work.

They work, promise! I'm an audiologist and used to work at a pediatric hospital and then an ENT office. It's so much better to have tubes that let the gunk and fluid drain rather than build up behind the eardrum. The actual procedure of putting the tubes in takes less than 5 minutes. The putting under is of course a little scary, but at least it's short. And in my opinion it'd be totally worth it with no more meds, much fewer infections, and better/clearer hearing (which obviously helps with learning speech sounds correctly!)
  • Options
    Oh poor sick babies!! We've been lucky with only one minor cold. Sending hugs out to all the sick babes

• Options
    My friend had frequent ear infections which damaged her ear drum and has left her partially deaf. She was 27 when she finally went to have her ear drum repaired and they stopped the procedure because she found out that day in the hospital she was pregnant!! Lol

I know ear infections in infants are common, but I'm always worried this will turn into a chronic thing because she is always sick!!! I can't wait until the spring!!!
  • Options
    Just giving an update blake is 1 year and 1 day old. He got the tubes put in on March 17th. His balance is better and no more infections. He had his we'll check on Monday and his follow up with the ENT on the 7th, but so far he seems better. No boogers no more constant crying no fevers, how is your little one doing?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"