December 2014 Moms
Options

Postpartum Depression

It's been a long road for me, and I'm finally able to admit after a long sleepless night (insomnia, not baby) that I am most likely suffering from postpartum depression.  I don't have a doctor's appointment until next Wednesday, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and what treatment options might be? I don't want to have to take something that will make me unable to breastfeed.  I also hope I can overcome it soon.  Every day and night fill me with dread.  I love my little guy - he's a wonderful, perfect baby - but I'm not loving life right now.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Postpartum Depression

• Options
    damerida said:

It's been a long road for me, and I'm finally able to admit after a long sleepless night (insomnia, not baby) that I am most likely suffering from postpartum depression.  I don't have a doctor's appointment until next Wednesday, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and what treatment options might be? I don't want to have to take something that will make me unable to breastfeed.  I also hope I can overcome it soon.  Every day and night fill me with dread.  I love my little guy - he's a wonderful, perfect baby - but I'm not loving life right now.

I am sorry that you are going through this. There are meds that can be prescribed while you are breastfeeding. Be sure to make this concern know to your doctor when you meet with them. In the meantime please don't try to stress about the meds...having a healthy mom is just as important to your LO.

Test
  • Options
    Recognizing that you have post partum depression is the first step to getting better. There are meds that that you can take while breastfeeding but some work better than others. It usually depends on your symptoms along with dosage. Good luck, momma!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pjswifepjswife member
    edited March 2015
    So sorry you are feeling this way.  Mine got really bad at about 5 weeks postpartum and I tried zoloft for a bit of time.  In my case, I was worrying so much that it would make me gain/ hold onto weight, and it also made my (already low) libido non-existant, as well as making me feel sort of flat and emotionless.  Apparently Wellbutrin is better in terms of the weight thing, but I really didn't want to get on the cycle of meds, trying different ones, etc, so I didn't ask for it.   But the zoloft did pull me out of the slump and I tapered off after about a month.  Ultimately I found a local support group and that helped, as well as getting outside every day and starting to really focus on nutrition rather than dieting.  Another interesting thing I noticed was that I would feel really gloomy while breastfeeding... and my OB confirmed that this was a real thing.  It's called dysphoric milk ejection reflex... it passed for me but it was very real at first.  That feeling of dread you describe- I know the feeling.  It's terrible.  I don't think it helped at all that we had our babies in the deep of winter when it was so dark!!  I also had a pretty difficult, traumatic birth, c section, and very groggy, drugged recovery period where I didn't get to hold DS right away... that all contributes.  But now he is 14 weeks old and we have a great bond and I couldn't love anything more.  Hang in there with however you choose to deal with it, this is so normal, it's just hormones, so remember it isn't your fault!  It WILL pass.  Take care of yourself and take it one day at a time!  Try to take him for a walk every day and focus on good nutrients!  Lots of water, good healthy fats (nuts, avocados) and protein!  Avoid sugar too... it will make your emotional rollercoaster even worse.  And this is coming from a major bread and sugar lover :/
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"