December 2014 Moms
Options

Pregnancy and cats

Hi everyone! I had my first prenatal visit to my ObGyn today. He basically told me to no longer have contact with my 2 cats who are my babies! I am a bit disappointed but I do understand the risks of toxoplasmosis and how it can cause mental retardation, which scares me quite a bit! My cats are indoor in the winter and go outside in the warmer months. I've never had a problem with either of them with disease or spraying, not using the liter box etc. I have not gone near the liter box since I have found out I am pregnant. Anyone else been through a pregnancy with cats in the house?

Re: Pregnancy and cats

• Options
    skbaum01skbaum01 member
    edited March 2015
    I've read you can have contact with your cats, just don't clean their litterbox. Ask someone else to do it.

I had cats during my pregnancy. I felt guilty having my husband always clean the box so I put on gloves and a mask and cleaned it often. Then washed my hands afterwards.
  • Options
    jenn811wjenn811w member
    edited March 2015
    Obviously I have not touched it, that was in my original post. I do same thing with mask and gloves and wash my hands constantly too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jenn811w said:

Hi everyone! I had my first prenatal visit to my ObGyn today. He basically told me to no longer have contact with my 2 cats who are my babies! I am a bit disappointed but I do understand the risks of toxoplasmosis and how it can cause mental retardation, which scares me quite a bit! My cats are indoor in the winter and go outside in the warmer months. I've never had a problem with either of them with disease or spraying, not using the liter box etc. I have not gone near the liter box since I have found out I am pregnant. Anyone else been through a pregnancy with cats in the house?

1st Trimester board will be great for you since you will have other PG women to talk to and I concur on the improper/dated use the term of "mental retardation"....be careful since historically it has been the cause of flaming.

Test
  • Options

best to get rid of the cats. honestly, why risk it?

@cookiemonsterr - obviously you are a dog person. ;)

Test
  • Options
    jenn811w said:

Obviously I have not touched it, that was in my original post.

Chill. Out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

DH and I: Dating: 08/2008, Engaged: 02/2012, and Married: 03/13!
    Adopted our Pup: 08/2011

DD born on 12/03/2014, Emma!
    (TTC #1 (and only!): 12/25/13, BFP: 03/31/14, EDD: 12/05/14, Gender, girl: 07/16/14)

imageimage

• Options
    jenn811wjenn811w member
    edited March 2015
    I didn't realize that I posted on the wrong board, my bad. I am new to this and just wanted some advice. I used the term mental retardation because that was the term my Doctor used, back off. Sorry if i offended anyone.
  • Options
    CandEChicagoCandEChicago member
    edited March 2015
    jenn811w said:

I didn't realize that I posted on the wrong board, my bad. I am new to this and just wanted some advice. I used the term mental retardation because that was the term my Doctor used, back off. Sorry if i offended anyone.

@jenn811w - Seriously chill out. We just gave you the heads up that it was offensive and you could be opening yourself up to flaming. There was no attack or flame from us

Test
  • Options
    You should get tested for toxo. Given you have already lived with the cats for awhile, there's a chance you already have it. It's only a risk if you get toxo while you are pregnant.
  • Options
    I am not freaking out, I just apologized and I wasn't accusing anyone of of attacking me. I completely understand that it was not the right term to use.
  • Options

You should get tested for toxo. Given you have already lived with the cats for awhile, there's a chance you already have it. It's only a risk if you get toxo while you are pregnant.

Thank you! I am actually getting tested for Toxo next week now, so my fingers are crossed that I already had it!, I have had the cats for quite awhile now so it's possible.
  • Options
    jenn811w said:

I am not freaking out, I just apologized and I wasn't accusing anyone of of attacking me. I completely understand that it was not the right term to use.

Maybe it would come across better and less attack like if you hadn't used "back off" and "my doctor used the offensive term first"...those come across a little more attack like/denfensive versus an apology.

Just trying to help you out here.

Test
  • Options
    Maybe you meant to post on the Dec '15 board?  It's no big deal, I found out I was PG right around this time last year and you are bringing back memories :)  Anyway, I just wanted to share that our vet told me when I was PG that gardening is actually way more dangerous in terms of  toxoplasmosis than changing the litterbox because you never know what neighborhood cats have been in there.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    jenn811wjenn811w member
    edited March 2015
    Haha actually I meant to post on November 2015, have no idea how I got December 2014.... I definitely got all the answers I need though so thanks ladies. Also good point about gardening I never even considered that before! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"