December 2014 Moms

AW: Nursing in public...

I want to be one if those brave souls that can nurse anytime, anywhere, but I'm a big scardy cat about it. I mean of course I nurse LO when he needs to eat, but I always make sure I'm am someplace with somewhere private to go to feed him. Sorry, this was a bit of a "dear diary", do I'll include an actual question. Have any of you gotten any negative comments about BFing your LO's in public? If so, how did you respond?

Re: AW: Nursing in public...

• I haven't gotten negative comments but I have always been cautious of where and when I did it. I also would love to be a brave soul and do it where ever and whenever but I feel like it would make other uncomfortable so I choose not to.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was nursing at the drs office check in yesterday, didn't get any comments but a woman wouldn't stop staring at me as we were leaving the check in to go up to the pediatrics area. I just stared back at her until the elevator door closed.
  • Loading the player...
  • mgk207 said:

I'm still such a bumbling idiot with nursing that I haven't attempted public yet, but I will. After I no longer need the shield, a large pillow, a wet washcloth, something to prop my boob up, etc. It's still a production up in here.

This is my current situation as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • JCM285JCM285 member
    edited January 2015
    This is probably silly to say but I am comfortable nursing in front of my MIL (I cover up with a blanket as soon as he latches) if she is over but would never do so in front of my own mom. She is a traditional cover-yourself-up kind of mom and didn't BF me so I feel like she doesnt really get it. She even had a problem with DS having newborn photos taken in his diaper (she thought he should be in a fancy outfit but that wasn't the style we were going for). (Too bad - my baby my pictures.) It isn't worth the argument for me to nurse in front of her so he gets a bottle when she's over but if I were to BF in public I'm pretty sure I would be paranoid there are other disapproving people like her out there. That might sound dumb but its how I feel.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Never received assholish comments. I don't use a cover/contraption when I NIP. Her head and my shirt cover most of the boobage.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I nursed DS for 13.5 months and now DD and have never gotten a dirty look however I do cover but I don't have a problem nursing anywhere or anytime.
  • a+m=dixon said:

RN536 said:

My hardest challenge is that LO does not latch quickly. For some reason he fusses a bit and goes on and off for a bit before starting to feed. So in public my nipple would be hanging out for a few minutes and I can't do that. With a cover I would not be able to see the latch attempts. I have to work out the kinks!!

My cover has a plastic piece in the lining on the top that allows it to shape so that I can look down at LO with no issues. That may help with viewing LO during the latch attempts?
    Where did you get it? Would you mind posting a link?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Hazel622‌ I have this one. It's great because it's light, easy to use, packs small, and you can see baby!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006UDLXKW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1421351144&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40
    *********************************************BIG SIG************************************************
    FTM PgAL  IT'S A GIRL!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I pop my boob out and nurse anywhere, any time, no cover. I just don't have the energy for other people's BS.

The only comment I've ever gotten was from a random guy who came up and, very respectfully, making eye contact, and avoiding looking at my chest, said that he wishes his wife could see me because she would be proud of me (?) and that he felt that it is wrong that society makes women feel like breastfeeding is somehow shameful. It was weird, but I'm extroverted and like talking to strangers, so it was oddly pleasant. 
  • I NIP often. I formula fed DD so this is all new to me with this one. My only negative experience was my first experience and some guy seriously was bobbing and weaving just to see my boobs. He really tried to look over my sling my sister was discussed. My boobs are huge so I cannot do it completely uncovered. I love the Cami under shirt on top idea I pull the top shirt up and leave the Cami down it works perfect because I can cover the whole top my boob with my top shirt.
  • I did and it went great, a lot easier than I had anticipated! Didn't use a cover and wasn't wearing a nursing tank, somehow it went really smoothly.. good baby. Then another time I pumped so I could have a martini and had a bottle to give her in public.. I realized I had never fed her a bottle, it was the most awkward experience ever. I didn't know how to hold her and the bottle at the right angle, I wished I could use my boob.
  • The only comment I found kinda rude was at my doctor's office. One of the nurses asked if I needed a cover. I politely declined. She then had to add "you know we have windows and people can see in." To that I said, "yes. I know." When on one of the windows there's a sicker that says "breastfeeding friendly environment" Plus Florida has a law where a women can nurse anywhere at anytime and no one can tell her to cover up, leave, or stop. Plus it's a freaking health department, cmon! They have pro breastfeeding flyers, magnets, handouts all over the place. 
    Me and LO are still a little clumsy at it and she has problems latching and staying latched in public when there's a lot going on. I normally don't cover up because I can't juggle her and the blanket but I did just buy clips that'll turn any blanket into a cover so maybe if I do start covering up it'll help her settle down enough to latch right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't care about others opinions but my modesty issues are what have me all fucked up about NIP. And I'm mostly fine with women it's men that i feel self conscious about. Just exposed I guess. The weird part ( or maybe this is normal...dunno) is I think I have more of an issue bf in front of family and friends than random strangers. Like whipping my boob out while hanging out with my dad or in front of my brother in law is just too weird.
  • Between having large boobs and oversupply with aggressive letdown, the only way LO will eat from the boob is with me lying on my side.  Between that and my modesty issues, I always assumed we would not be feeding in public until when/if we got upright BF down... however, today at my first session of mommy & me, LO was becoming increasingly angsty even though we'd fed less than 90m before so I crawled into a corner, laid out a stroller blanket, lay (laid?) on my side and whipped out a boob.  It was a bit awkward but not like scarring level embarrassment. :p

PSA if there are any other moms who have to side lie... bring something to roll and stick under your head before whipping out the boob, supporting head with neck for 10m was torture, especially knowing there was a soft muslin blanket in my bag just feet away!  

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 
    2 Corinthians 12:9

•  I nurse in public whenever I need to. I use to be a lot more modest but something about having a million people staring at my lady bits during birth has changed that. I usually  make sure to wear a camisole under my regular shirt when I go out. I tuck a receiving blanket under my bra strap and tent it over the front of me then I pull my shirt up, pull the top of my cami and bra down, and pop my boob out. I then have two hands to line my LO up.Once she has latched on I remove the receiving blanket and voila. You honestly can not see anything.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby girl due 12-13-14!

D14 October siggy challenge
                        DD two years ago, my adorable little pirate

• mgk207 said:

I'm still such a bumbling idiot with nursing that I haven't attempted public yet, but I will. After I no longer need the shield, a large pillow, a wet washcloth, something to prop my boob up, etc. It's still a production up in here.

SAme issue. Nipple sheild and nursing takes forever. Boobs everywhere.
    Post-Natal Loss at 32 weeks, LTTC of 26th Months, 5 failed IUIs, Conception via 4th IVF Cycle in April 2014
    EDD: January 3rd, 2015! 

• I think comments are really rare, stares are more common. And honestly, probably 50% of stares are probably more curious (it is a really cool thing) than anything.

I BF in front of my family (my brother tried to give me privacy but I told him if he left the room every time i'd never see him haha)...i think doing it in front of my MIL was the most awkward. She is 100% southern belle, but I was at my house and I wasn't going to leave the room for her. She has 3 kids, she should know.

The only time I've done it outside the house was in the car...LO was screaming in her carseat so when we parked at the restaurant I fed her in the back, no cover or anything. Of course lots of people decided to walk by at that exact moment but no one seemed to look in or notice. I don't have a problem with it, I'm more reserved by nature so I wouldn't do it often at a restaurant or Starbucks or something, but if baby's hungry, baby's hungry!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• xc1148 said:

I don't have a problem with it, I'm more reserved by nature so I wouldn't do it often at a restaurant or Starbucks or something, but if baby's hungry, baby's hungry!

Since giving birth my decency and dignity have taken a backseat to keeping baby happy....or at least not wailing... That sound breaks my heart, so I either need to learn to BF upright or get used to lying on a lot of random floors...

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 
    2 Corinthians 12:9

• pjswifepjswife member
    edited March 2015
    My concerns about anyone seeing my boobs has really gone out the window too, but I love the above idea about sticking a blanket under the bra strap (I already do the cami under the shirt thing most days.)  What I wish is that DH could get behind public BFing.  He gets sooo nervous about it and always acts like that nurse "you know people can see right?!?"  Sigh
    Pregnancy Ticker

• If you have a cover I see no issue with Bf In public. I had to bf my lo In a Bj's wholesale club bc it was the only place I could find to sit. If I got any looks I didn't see them. I put on my cover and do what I gotta do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"