1st Trimester
Options

Positive Group Beta Strep urine culture

I got a call that my urine culture revealed GBS and that this isn't a big deal- a lot of healthy women carry this but we don't want to transmit it to baby. It is also transient, it comes and goes. I'll get antibiotics at delivery (which I already kmew) and they are putting me on antibiotics now. Has anyone else had their dr put then on an antibiotic course in early pregnancy ? It just doesn't make sense to me and I have never heard of it being done before.

Re: Positive Group Beta Strep urine culture

• Options
    Yes. GBS at delivery and GBS in urine is different. An untreated UTI can lead to several issues, including preterm labor and even miscarriage
  • Options
    Yes I tested positive at 12w and went on antibiotics. I also had antibiotics for a sinus infection at 16w. They are harmless to the baby...but I have heard if you're prone to yeast infections, being on antibiotics during pregnancy tends to lead to one. I've never had that issue.

My doctor will screen me again at 36w and if I still have it I'll get antibiotics during delivery. It's pretty common and not a big deal as long as it's properly treated.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a bit confused as to why they've already determined you'll need antibiotics at delivery based on a first trimester result since GBS can come and go. Giving you antibiotics now makes sense, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be positive and need them at delivery. With the antibiotics the risks to baby are very low.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"