Natural Birth

Changing Medical Group at 31 weeks

I will try not to make this too long.  I am now wanting to change over medical groups because my pregnancy is no longer high risk! I am super happy about this.  However, the reason I want to change is because the current medical group I have is know for high c-section and intervention use.  I want to go to a medical group that is more open to natural birth.  I have been having difficulty with insurance.  I thought I could change this at anytime, but they said since I am already pregnant I cant! I feel trapped.  I have an HMO through work. Has anyone changed their medical group? And if so was it this difficult? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Re: Changing Medical Group at 31 weeks

• Nice! It's weird that your insurance is giving you a hard time about switching - as long as it's an approved provider, who cares?! But I've stopped trying to look for logic in these places...

I will share my experience with you since I also switched late in the game (I think around 33 weeks)

I was intent on having a birth center or preferably a home birth. I had to move across country mid pregnancy (28 weeks), found a midwife I thought I was comfortable with, ended up not being comfortable, switched to another midwife who I am SUPER delighted with at around 33 weeks. She is out of network so we had to pay out of pocket (about $4K), hopefully we will get reimbursed by PPO...

Anyhow, I think the first thing to determine is whether or not an in-network provider will or will not accept you. Maybe I am not understanding the distinction for PPO but switching late - at 39 weeks even - is not unheard of. So I would first see what your ideal scenario is - who is your perfect in-network provider? - and explain to them the situation. Then you can try and have the docs make the case for you. It really should be their call, not your HMOs. You can try and speak to your HMO and explain that a non-interventive birth is associated with lower costs overall and it would behoove them to permit the switch. Again I don't get why if it's in network and the group has no problem with you switching at 31 weeks, why they would care but... logic....

BUT 

Either way, you're going to have to really be vocal about your wishes. Keep us posted!
  • After several attempts on explaining my reasons for wanting to change with my insurance, I have just decided to stick it out where I am at.  I am currently taking Bradley classes with my husband, and hope that he will be a good support for me come the day.  He was not open to getting a doula because he wants to be my support and feels that he will be a good one.  So we will see what happens. I think because mine is an HMO this is what made it complicated to switch.  Come open enrollment at my work I will make sure to get PPO, especially since we plan on having second baby by the end of this year. I just hope that I get a good rotating/on call doctor on the day I go into labor.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear you. I had the same situation with my first. I was telling basically EVERYONE who came near me "DON'T OFFER ME ANYTHING". (I ended up having a 6 hour birth with 20 minutes of pushing and zero interventions - you can do it! Just stand your ground!)

I highly recommend hiring a doula - even if it seems financially out-of-reach, some who are in training often will attend just for the experience. This can be one more advocate and help your husband focus on you. Actually what a lot of people don't expect is how little they may see the doc and how much you will see the labor nurse. I hope you get an angel - with my first, my labor nurse was so excited to see a birth with no interventions that she ended up being super pushy with everyone else who came into the room, on my behalf! :) Good luck to you!!! Keep us posted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"