Baby Names

Middle name for Mara??

I think we've decided on Mara for our baby girl due in May (last name is 3 syllables and starts with 'D'...it's an awkward last name...). My husband really likes Anne as a middle name (after his grandmother). I like it, but I am having trouble with the double A's (marA-Anne). Here are some that I don't mind, but nothing really sticks out to me. Any help would be appreciated - thanks! (BTW - Mara Louise is my favorite because of the way it sounds, but I just don't like the name Louise!)

mara katherine
mara lynne
mara louise
mara lee
mara lucille
mara josephine
mara jocelyn
mara jolene
mara jolie
mara rae
mara noelle
mara isolde
mara paige
mara claire

Re: Middle name for Mara??

• I do like Mara Louise and Mare Jolene. I'd dump Rae, it along with Grace and Mae seem to be the go filler middle names these days.

So. Suggest.

Mara Jane
    Mara Bernice
    Mara Jade (I'm a nerd, I have to suggest it)
    Mara Catherine
    Mara Caitlin
    Mara Camille
    Mara Genevieve
    Mara Helen
    Mara Elise
    Mara Jean
    Mara Isabelle
    Mara Oriana 
    Mara Briana
    Mara Ophelia
    Mara Odette
    Mara Sabine
    Mara Sybil
    Mara Lenore
    Mara Nadine 
  • Mara Reese and Mara Eloise have the same general sound as Louise without actually being Louise.

I agree that the double A is a little awkward... but if you want to try to include Anne maybe Mara Leanne or Mara Suzanne?  
  • Loading the player...
  • Mara Jean!
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Mara Noelle came to mind before I opened your thread.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Noelle, Josephine or Jane
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    I like Mara Noelle and Mara Jolie

Mara Elise
    Mara Elaine
    Mara Eloise
    Mara Cosette
    Mara Abigail
    Mara Violet
    Mara Beatrice
  • alcrimminsalcrimmins member
    edited March 2015
    My 15 year old niece is Mara Ann! I call her Mara Mae sometimes though. No idea why. Lol
  • Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    edited March 2015
    Mara Jane
    Mara Elise
    Mara Reese
    Mara Paige
    Mara Claire
    Mara Lee

These are my preferred combinations. Each have a nice flow.

ETA: @asherk suggestion of Mara Elizabeth, nn Mara Beth is also a lovely choice! 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • My cousin is Mara Elizabeth, nn Mara Beth, so that's what sticks out to me the most. I also like PP's suggestion of Mara Elise to give you a feel similar to Louise.
  • I don't like a name that ends in "A" to be followed by a MN that starts with a vowel. It all runs together. This is just a personal preference.

That said, if Mara Anne means a lot to you guys because it is honoring his family, I'd use it anyway. Family significance is important.

As far as just a nice-sounding name, my favorites from above + suggestions are:

Mara Catherine
    Mara Claire
    Mara Joy
    Mara June
    Mara Josephine
  • I love Mara Jolene!
  • Mara Jocelyn!
  • Mara Faith
    Mara Pearl
    Mara Jewel
    Mara Hope
  • I thought Mara Louise before reading your post, so there's that! I like the name, myself.
  • Another downside to Anne to consider is her initials would be MAD.
  • I liked Mara Lucille from your list, it has a similar feel to Louise. I'm also a fan of family named trumping picked-from-a-list names though, and while a lot of times double vowels can kill it for me, I think Mara Anne has a very crisp, neat ring to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"