March 2015 Moms

Baby's first outing... How long will you wait?

Wondering how long everyone plans to wait to take baby out after bringing them home? Asking bc Easter is coming soon... I am scheduled to have a RCS on Saturday so by Easter he'll be around a week old. The thought I taking him to my family's Easter makes me nervous knowing sooo many people will be touching, holding, wanting to feed him etc. so wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts and/or policies with their lo's would be! Thanks!

Re: Baby's first outing... How long will you wait?

• My LO will be 10 days old on Easter assuming she comes tomorrow (I'm being induced at 4pm today). I'm nervous about taking her out so early, and I have two houses full of family to visit... Hubby says it's good to build her immune system, but I'm not sure if she really has an immune system in place that early!

I plan on trying to keep her in her carrier or in a sling to discourage peope from picking her up a lot. Oh and feeding on demand, "Sorry! Looks like she's hungry again!"
    Pregnancy Ticker
    For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

• My LO will be 10 days old on Easter assuming she comes tomorrow (I'm being induced at 4pm today). I'm nervous about taking her out so early, and I have two houses full of family to visit... Hubby says it's good to build her immune system, but I'm not sure if she really has an immune system in place that early!

I plan on trying to keep her in her carrier or in a sling to discourage peope from picking her up a lot. Oh and feeding on demand, "Sorry! Looks like she's hungry again!"

She will benefit from your immune system particularly if you are BFing - your exposure to triggers will result in antibodies being produced and passed on through your milk. I like the sling idea too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Assuming my baby arrives this week he will be about a week old. I plan on taking him to Easter at my family's .. We've never ever missed it and my 4 year old would be devastated . Worst case I'll stay home and my husband will take my daughter but as long as baby and I are healthy I think it'll be nice to get out of the house! Plus I'm super comfortable at my family's so if I need to I can just go disappear into a room somewhere or whatever. Plus there will be TONS of food!!! that I don't have to cook!! Haha. Momma needs me some food!

Anyway, as far as immunity ect. I second @elizalegs . I'll be (God willing) Breast feeding so I'm not too worried about it. But I also won't be letting everyone hold him. I'll have him in a sling/carrier or I'll just tell people he's too young to be passed around just yet. I'm not afraid to hurt feelings for my baby's safety. Plus, people have GOT to know that a one week or two week old baby is just too young to be passed around a huge group especially during flu season. I'm sure close family that I know haven't been sick will hold him, maybe once the crowd disappears , but that's probably it. It'll be "look don't touch" haha
  • Thanks everyone! Idk what I'm going to do yet but loving reading what everyone else's plans are. I feel like I'll know when the time comes... This isn't my first, but my first was 12 years ago so it sure feels like the first all over again! Lol
  • With my DD, we took her to visit family at 3 days old for thanksgiving. She's barely been sick and has had a great immune system through babyhood (not so much once she started daycare). But I think as long as you set boundaries and family knows what to expect with hand washing, etc., then you should be okay.
  • I waited till my first was 3 months old, we were VERY paranoid as she was a preemie and had spent a month in the NICU. Also, the doctors suggested we wait to take her out -especially around young children.

We will wait till 1 month for this one. We only take her out for her wellness checkups and other doctor appointments.
  • @klcarr19 I am also rather lax with the whole babies and germs thing. Definitely not ok with people coughing or sneezing all over, and I don't plan on passing her around on a regular basis, but I'm not overly paranoid. I'm a nurse practitioner, so I wonder if I'm just too jaded. Lydia will be 13 days old at Easter and I plan on that being her first real outing.
  • We will be enjoying easter at home. I will not risk my newborn getting sick just to have dinner. She will only be 1 week old. She has easter to spend with family the rest of her life.
  • I'm ok with family visiting, but won't be bringing her out in public for a while. We've been having a record measles outbreak around here lately thanks to the anti-vaccination movement, so it'll probably be quite a while before I feel comfortable bringing her to the mall or large gatherings. 
  • Our boy will be 2 weeks old for Easter. My dads family is Catholic and my dads sisters are already sending me msgs saying they can't wait till Easter to meet Parker. While I love how much they love him already, I'm not sure I'm ready for such a big night. All my dads family will be there and everyone will want to hold him. You guys may laugh but while I do worry about germs and sickness, part of my issue is that I'm not exactly ready to share my baby. I know it's completely selfish but I can't stop holding him and just staring at him lol even my husband is getting jealous I think lol anyways at the end of the day we don't HAVE to go, I just know they won't exactly be happy about it lol we'll see, I still have some time to decide.

Oh I totally feel you! In my mind momma gets the first however long she wants to just soak in new baby without other people .. We are the ones that carried that babe for 9 months and just barely survived and then had to push it out! I get to hold my baby gosh dang it! Haha

• Besides that, I have a hard time enduring the cooing and baby talk. I love my baby and I'll probably do it some myself, but it's just gets on my nerves all the newborn baby fanatics from everyone else. I've just understood baby talk really. Just not me I guess.
  • I'm not sure my LO will be home for Easter. She will be almost a month old at that time. But when she does come home I know it will be over protective momma seeing how she has had heart surgery. Everyone has been waiting to meet her and I know they just want to get their hands on her but I'm just not comfortable with it. I'm having a hard time with her dad picking her up!
  • With my first, other than doctors appointments, I waited two weeks. I waited less than two days with number two. I have a 3.5 year old with cabin fever, so I get her out of the house as much as possible. As long as the weather is nice, we are out of this house lol. Plus my newborn is slightly jaundice, so I try to get her out in the sun for a little bit each day.
  • Since my little one is being stubborn and won't come out (but will definitely be here by Easter) we probably will not be going anywhere. Unless he surprises me and comes before this Sunday he will be less than a week old. There are a lot of smokers in the house on my side of the family and young kids (ages 2-8) on my husband's that I worry about exposure and sickness. If someone wants to stop by my house after the festivities and commotion to meet the baby that is fine because I can better monitor holding, hand washing, and not allowing people to smoke near him if they come to my home instead
  • At two weeks, we were out and about! My mom was visiting for the week and it was nice to have someone experienced help me figure things out and give me the confidence to do it on my own. That week we went out to lunch twice, to the mall, Babies R Us, and Target. Even just after two weeks, it was good for me to get out and about and into civilization. My midwife said that's completely fine. I kept her in her car seat/stroller and not one person tried to touch her. They just observed. :-)
  • Mine will be two weeks old tomorrow & we've already been out of the house at least a half dozen times. The first time was when she was 4 days old - we needed groceries, she came at 38 weeks & I was thinking she's be late. I just wore her the first time & many people asked me about her/oohed and ahhed over her, but the only person I've had try to touch her was a little girl who was promptly corrected by her mother.
    However, with family gatherings it will be quite different. I'd really recommend baby wearing if you do decide to go out because it reduces access to the baby for others.
  • Thanks for the input and suggestions! I may take him for a little while, depends on how I feel after csection too. I know my family will not be so happy withe if I don't make an appearance, but in all honesty if it weren't for the baby my presence would not likely be an issue lol.
  • Thanks for the input and suggestions! I may take him for a little while, depends on how I feel after csection too. I know my family will not be so happy withe if I don't make an appearance, but in all honesty if it weren't for the baby my presence would not likely be an issue lol.

Lol I feel the same way!

Doubt you'll be able to wear baby after a c-section, your surgery area will be VERY sensitive. You might not want to go anywhere for about 2 weeks. Your abs will feel like you did 500 million sit-ups!
  • We took our week old baby to the keg last night for dinner, and got yelled at by my family for it!!!

She also went to my dad's place for dinner on day 3, and my husbands parents house on day 4. Plus the doctors. How long are you suppose to wait? No one told me it was "too soon"....is my family just being protective?
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• cmcintos said:

We took our week old baby to the keg last night for dinner, and got yelled at by my family for it!!!

She also went to my dad's place for dinner on day 3, and my husbands parents house on day 4. Plus the doctors. How long are you suppose to wait? No one told me it was "too soon"....is my family just being protective?

I don't think there is a magical date. Everyone has a different opinion. :)
  • we didn't leave the house for a couple weeks and still got sick! we're at the tail end of RSV season here and there's the measles going around. i'm cool hunkering down for a few more weeks and just going on quick grocery runs.
  • We went out today and he's 5 days old. I did ok for the most part. It was kind of hard getting around since I'm still a little sore. We went to Target, I ended up falling apart and cried the whole way home and for several hours after. No idea why, just overwhelmed and emotional. I say play it by ear. Plan on a quick exit should you need one.
  • My husband and I were debating this. My LO will be 3 weeks old by Easter. Normally we visit my family (I do have a 4 yo nephew and 8 yo niece but VERY small family), and then go to to my husbands father's side (no children and small family), and then on to my husband's mothers house (7 aunts/uncles all with 3+ children). My husbands one uncle is also in town w/his wife and 2 children. They travel to Thailand frequently. We weighed the odds and while we do not think there is any major risk (everyone is vaccinated), we just don't want to take any major chances. We will probably go to my husband's father's house if anywhere since it is only 4 minutes away, small, quiet, and low-key.
  • Lark425 said:

We went out today and he's 5 days old. I did ok for the most part. It was kind of hard getting around since I'm still a little sore. We went to Target, I ended up falling apart and cried the whole way home and for several hours after. No idea why, just overwhelmed and emotional. I say play it by ear. Plan on a quick exit should you need one.

Oh the emotions...I didn't really have any emotional moments while pregnant, but boy did I the first week or so after giving birth. I cried while watching my baby eat, so happy I get to be her mom. I cried because she was jaundiced & I felt it was my fault for not producing good enough milk. I cried because some punk called Kathy Bates a "fat cow" in Fried Green Tomatoes, even though I've seen it dozens of times & never cried.
    She'll be two weeks old tomorrow & it's already gotten much better.
  • Omg I cried all night tonight!!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I personally won't take my newborns anywhere until they get their first lot of injections!! If it means being house bound for 6 weeks it's worth it.
    This way I know who is around them and can control that no sickness will enter my house.
    In Australia a 4 week old has just passed away from Whopping cough.
    It's only 6 weeks of their short life to be stuck inside.. You have the rest of their lives to take them out..I couldn't live with myself if my little ones caught something..
    Just my personal thoughts :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"