Baby Showers

Tiny Shower--Need Advice

Hi Everyone,

My mom has generously offered to throw me a baby shower for my first child (due in August).  I'm sure she will do a great job, since she and my grandmother did an amazing job with my wedding shower.  The problem is I think the guest list will be really tiny.  The shower is in my hometown (a few hours from where I live now), and a lot of my closest friends are now scattered across the country.  Plus, my family is really small, and my husband's family lives in another city.  I would be surprised if there were more than 10 people at the shower altogether, and there may very well be fewer than that.

Has anyone ever attended or had a shower this small?  All of the ones I have been to have been at least 20-30 people.  Will a tiny shower even work?  I would love the opportunity to see some friends and celebrate my pregnancy, but I don't want to make my guests uncomfortable or feel bad for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Re: Tiny Shower--Need Advice

• mrsb30mrsb30 member
    edited March 2015
    My wedding shower in my home town was small, probably about 10 people, mostly family and a few friends. My shower where I live probably had about 30 people. Honestly I enjoyed the small shower more because I had quality time with all of my guests and it was just more intimate. Both showers were great, but I enjoyed the small atmosphere.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the others that showers are one of those few things in life where smaller is actually better ;)
  • My shower was just over 10 people and it was lovely! I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
    DS actually came 3 weeks early so he was present at the shower. Those who attended were family and 3 of my closest friends all people I felt comfortable letting them hold ds if they wanted.
    We were all able to have great conversation the entire time, eat delicious food and cake, and open presents.
    I prefer things to be "low key elegant" if you will, so in my eyes it was perfect.
    It was especially perfect this way for me as I'd been discharged from the hospital 5 days earlier and anything more would have had me anxious, uncomfortable and ds would have been having a day with dh.
  • I had a bridal shower that was 11 people total - it was WAY more fun than the one with 45 people someone else threw a month later. 
  • I lived out of province when I was pregnant, my only shower was thrown by my stepmom for my local friends. There were 6 of us, and we played a few games, ate, chatted-it was lovely!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I much prefer a small, intimate baby shower over a big to-do. I once hosted a shower with 5 guests including myself.  It was lovely and no less meaningful than a big shower.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Thank you so much for sharing your comments and stories!  I feel much better now.  I was just worried because I had only been to large showers with games involving a lot of people, huge dishes of food, long present opening sessions, etc.  I'm so excited now to share this special event with the ones closest to me! :)

• VORVOR member
    Jessa1404 said:

Thank you so much for sharing your comments and stories!  I feel much better now.  I was just worried because I had only been to large showers with games involving a lot of people, huge dishes of food, long present opening sessions, etc.  I'm so excited now to share this special event with the ones closest to me! :)

The bolded?  Trust - people will not be sad to miss those.
  • This is totally off topic but why do I keep seeing a bunch of pirate emojis in every thread all of a sudden? Did I miss the memo?
  • I'm not seeing them, but I'm on a pc, not a mac or iPhone.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My guest list is 16 people, and I'm happy with that. No need to invite the entire world, and no reason to feel bad about it. Honestly I'd feel awkward at the thought of inviting a bunch of acquaintances. Like, "Come spend money on a baby you'll rarely see or ever spend time with!" I think if the person isn't really going to be a part of the baby's life, they shouldn't be there anyway.
    Then again, I'm not at all a people person, so maybe that's why.

Married 4/13/13

Loss at 6 weeks 5/4/2013

Loss at 9 weeks 12/2013

Healthy baby boy 7/12/15

Due 1/6/18

• My shower had 13 people and it was awesome!! I am sure you will enjoy it very much!