2nd Trimester

Lower Back pain in early second trimester

Hi All,

This is my first time writing on the 2nd trimester forum. :) Today I am 14 weeks and 2 days.

Anywho, I have experience really bad lower back pain that seems to just be getting worse by the day for about a week or two now. I've had "minor" back pain for close to 7 years now but nothing compared to what I feel now. During the day, I am able to handle the pain but it's when i'm actually sleeping that the pain is at its worst. I have been training myself to sleep on my sides since I found out I was pregnant because my only comfortable spot is laying on my stomach. So again, I have been trying to train my body to get used to being on either side, however now my lower back is in excruciating pain only when I am asleep. The best way I can describe it is, it almost feels like I am paralyzed and cannot move left or right. It's really THAT bad!!! It hurts to even move, so of course my sleep isnt really relaxing.

Has anyone else experience lower back pain in your early 2nd trimester? How did you deal with it? I asked my nurse if using Icy Hot was okay but I have yet to hear back. Do any of you know if it's safe to use all night?

Thanks!

Re: Lower Back pain in early second trimester

• oldcupcakeoldcupcake member
    edited February 2015
    I feel your pain. Sometimes i looked like a hunched old woman when i walk. I've been taking long baths and using a bean/rice bag hot pack on my lower back and doing yoga an hour before bed. It's works enough for me to sleep for 3 or 4 hours. I wouldn't do icy hot until you hear back, the pamphlet says to check with you provider before using.
  • I'm 14w1d and I have some mild lower back pain, nothing as severe as what you're describing. I have been doing some lower back stretches and sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees seems to help too. Good luck!
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Loading the player...
  • I got a long body pillow and I sleep with the bottom between my legs and kind of hugging it with my arms. This seems to have cleared up most of my back pain. Maybe try getting one if you haven't yet?
  • Im only 12wks6days so not as far along as you are. Ive head terrible back pains too though and its even worse at nights. Some nights i couldnt even sleep. I intern at a chiropractic office and had one of the chiropractors adjust me, and it helped so much. Now once a week i get adjusted. I asked my OB if this was okay, and she said absolutely. She said that she recommends her patients see chiropractors to help ease the back pain. Im telling you, getting adjusted worked miracles! Just make sure you go to one that knows how to handle a pregnant woman and what techniques should be used so no harm comes to the baby! Best of luck! 
  • kjs08kjs08 member
    Have you tried stretching and strength training? I was rear-ended hard in a car accident almost 8 years ago and my lower back pain was through the roof some days. I know it's not the same, but I understand where you're coming from. 

Since becoming pregnant, I've managed to keep up with my strength training and maintaining a strong core (both have been a huge help in controlling my back pain) and can't do some exercises now, but stretching out my hips, hamstrings, lower back, and hip flexors has helped as I find I'm about as flexible as uncooked spaghetti after a couple days. I'm not nearly in as much pain as years ago, but I am getting more and more uncomfortable with sitting and sleeping and I don't see it getting better. I also spend the time I have to sit on a core ball so that I'm getting some core work in and it allows me to shift and roll the ball around to help loosen up. I hope you feel better. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"