July 2015 Moms
Options

Just wanna take a bath!

So I love my candle lit bubble baths lol even when i wasn't pregnant but lately I haven't been able to be comfortable enough to take one its so hard on my lower back/butt bone any suggestions on bath pillows, do those even work? or are they more for your upper back?

Re: Just wanna take a bath!

• Options
    asun123asun123 member
    edited March 2015
    I hope you're only taking nuke-warm baths.!
    I just kinda always stuck to no baths while pregnant since I know I only like super warm or hot baths. 

My doctor takes the no bath, no jacuzzi rule pretty serious.

Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My dr said as long as the water isn't so warm it makes you sweat then you are ok. I would try a bath mat maybe?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    I took baths nightly with my first son and will again when the aches come back. Have you tried different positions, like feet higher up or even lower, sitting up a little more or laying flatter? I never used a pillow the first time around but have one now, some cheap one from ama.zon. I haven't noticed a difference in comfort, just don't have a wet towel behind my head.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Why can't you take baths while pregnant? I have never heard that before...I've taken a couple oppsies.
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    You can take them, they just can't be hot.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    @asun123 no way never too hot always hardly even warm ! Which my hubby loves cause more hot water for him ! lol thanks ladies for your feedback definitely gonna try a bath matt instead of a bath pillow and @lovermyboys yeah baths are okay just not hot enough to make you sweat they have to be luke warm basically for same reasons your not supposed to be in a hot tub
  • Options
    The reason you can't take a hot bath or go in a hot tub is that although we can cool down after a nice hot bath/hot tub time it is not the same for the baby. Getting in to a hot bath or hot tub raises our core temperature which is not bad if you aren't pregnant, but when pregnant we can basically overheat our baby as they cannot regulate the core temperature of mommy's body. In a bit of exaggerated terms you could boil your growing bundle of joy; and nobody wants that.
  • Options
    On another note, hot water dilates our blood vessels even more and in pregnant women our vessels are already more dilated than normal and it can lead to extreme dizziness from dropping blood pressure, or even fainting. Also it is different than a nice, HOT shower because you are not submerged and the heat is distributed differently.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh.. Take the bath. I have taken baths normally the entire time and my child is not "boiled". Anyway maybe try one of those floor bath mats to sit on? They're a foam material I think.

TTC #1 since 08/2013

BFP#1: 1/6/2014 EDD: 9/17/2014 Natural MC: 1/17/2014 (5w3d)

BFP #2: 6/7/2014 EDD: 2/18/2015 Natural MC 6/19/2014 (5w)

BFP #3: 10/22/14 EDD: 7/1/2015  

*Taking Progesterone supplements* Beta 1: 777, Beta 2: 2589 *GROW BABY!*

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I'm with @augusta17 I've taken baths (hot baths .. the horror) with all my children. If I feel light headed or dizzy I get out. But honestly never have. I did however in the shower with my first.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    I take hot baths but I wouldnt think it would hurt anything since I never fill up water to my growing baby bump and usually only in for a few min it relaxes me & I feel her kicks.
  • Options
    Hm, I don't know of any pillows for the lower parts of the body but if anyone finds one id be interested! Yesterday my legs and bum bone were so sore from sitting!

And my doctor says it's ok to take relatively hot baths so long as I'm drinking cold water at the same time since the major concern is your heart (not the baby overheating or anything lol). She says if mommy is relaxed, than baby is relaxed and that is a good thing :)
  • Options

This is directly from TB website:

Q&A: Is It True Pregnant Women Shouldn't Take Baths?

Is it true pregnant women shouldn't take baths?

No, baths are safe (and super-relaxing!) during pregnancy, but you do need to watch the water temperature. Pregnant women should never let their core body temp get higher than 102.2°F—especially in the first trimester—since there may be a greater risk for baby to be born with defects in the brain and spinal cord. But you're not likely to overheat in a bathtub, since the water cools over time and your upper body is actually out of the water. To be extra-safe, test the water with a bath thermometer (get one made for babies!) and be sure to run both hot and cool water as you're filling the tub. You should avoid hot tubs, though. They can raise your body temp to 102°F in just 10 minutes.

By Ashley S. Roman, MD, ob-gyn and clinical assistant professor at New York University School of Medicine
  • Options
    Nobody told me the 'no hot bath' rule. When I heard about it, I asked my OB, and she said that hot tubs are more of an issue that bath tubs. A bath tub will cool off as you're lounging in it, and it's unlikely that, unless you are taking scalding hot baths, you're going to raise your body temperature high enough to cause any real damage. Your body will let you know when it's too hot - you'll get dizzy/lightheaded and start to feel off. She suggested that I make my bath with my normal water temperature, then run cold water for a minute to top it off. The issue with hot tubs is that they don't ever cool off because the water is constantly being reheated, so those will keep your body temperature up and above where it should be for a long period of time.

Regarding your body pain, I had a bath pillow (like the ones you get to go behind your head) that I used to sit on after I dislocated my hip. It made it a lot more comfortable to be in the tub, and the warm water really soothed my muscles. It also had little suction cups on it so it would stay nicely on the bottom of the tub. Good luck.
  • Options
    I take a bath every morning. I like feeling the shower head water hit me and I lay there as it fills up. I can only see bathing as dangerous because the bigger I get, the harder it is to maneuver my wide ass in and out of the tub. Preggo problems.
  • Options
    I love my baths!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"