May 2015 Moms
Options

Am I alone? Anyone else with vulvar varicosities?

So probably TMI: but I have been diagnosed with vulvar varicosities or varicose veins DOWN THERE!!!!! My Dr says its because LO is so low and that its more common after your first pregnancy and this is my third (in 3 years). I know I was extremely embarrassed and uncomfortable even asking my Dr about it- but was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? My first two pregnancies were fairly uncomplicated with minimal complaints. But this is causing such discomfort- just wondering if anyone experienced this also and had suggestions for relief.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Am I alone? Anyone else with vulvar varicosities?

• Options
    My sister had this during her third pregnancy too and she used to have an ice pack to put down there after work every night. Sounds gross, but she said the relief was bliss. Also not sitting for long periods or wearing tight pants or undies helped too. It did put her at a higher risk of bleeding if she had torn or needed an episiotomy, but she ended up having a Caesarian because bub was breech, so it wasn't an issue.
  • Options
    I am in the same boat as you. It is so painful. My work is very physical and by mid day I am so uncomfortable. I've been feeling the pain and swelling for several months but was told it was just from the pressure of the uterus. Then several weeks ago I discovered the culprit.
    I was told the compression stockings used for varicose veins on the legs may help with circulation for the area. I have not tried this yet.

My ob also told me there is a support garment (like underwear) that you can order online ($100) and is suppose to help. She forgot the name and was suppose to have her secretary call me. I'm still waiting. For now just elevating my feet at the end of the day helps. But during the work day, I suffer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The pelvic support is called a V2 supporter and is made specifically for this issue. Compression tights also help significantly. Check ebay for the V2, most are significantly more affordable there (obviously they're new).. I couldn't stand the thought of spending so much money on something that is basically a jock strap for women. The combo of the two should really help you ladies out!
    Tyler Daniel (4) & Tessa Mary (2)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I found that propping my feet up above hip level helps. Also the more I walk around (even though it's super painful when I first stand up), the better I feel the next day. Doing squats makes it worse, so I'm always a little extra bad after yoga class. Sorry, it's kind of the worst.
  • Options
    I got a v2 supporter, still haven't figured it out and felt the Velcro tabs were pinching me. So what I do is get on all fours and put my butt in the air and put my shoulder down (i do this on the bed as its just easier and softer lol). It's supposed to relieve pressure. While mine isn't so bad, if I feel swelling, an ice pack helps and my Dr also said that if I get a pregnancy band it should help with some of the pressure too. This is my second pregnancy and was kinda shocked that you could get this even down there. So crazy!
  • Options
    I have this with my second pregnancy too and am kind of horrified! My dr reassured me that she hasn't seen any birth complications from this and it should go away after delivery. I also discovered varicose veins on my right knee and what looks like large bruises on my right upper thigh. Exercise makes it worse for me but dr said to either soak in the tub or ice it like a few mention above. Hang in there- you're not alone!
  • Options
    Good to know I'm not alone. Thanks for the responses. I'll look into the V2 and maybe the belly band. The ice pack does seem to help after a long day at work. I too have a physically demanding job and two very little ones at home- all the suggestions are appreciated.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    atc40atc40 member
    im with you too ladies- this is my 4th pregnancy and i got it ever so slighty with #3 but now this time it has climbed up , its very uncomfortable and annoying as well as embarrassing but im gonna try the v2 supporter , i also wear the maternity hose- used to just wear the compression thigh high, but now that it has climbed my doc said by wearing the thigh high it will best to wear one that goes over the area so you are not stopping the circulationand putting more pressure on that spot. 
  • Options
    I don't have them but have lots of recent pregnant friends who would say, "oh wait until you get vagina veins!" So I'm guessing they are pretty common from all that pressure! I hope you find relief mama! My friends did say they went away and they didn't cause complications, just painful and annoying
  • Options
    I think I have this now!!
  • Options
    How did you ladies know? What can I do to get some relief other than ice and the v2 support?
  • Options
    melissa050180melissa050180 member
    edited March 2015
    @nursej519I know it sounds a little weird, but take a small mirror and look. You will probably be able to see it/them. You might also be able to feel it/them. 
  • Options
    Yep. That's what it is! I work 13 hour shifts and after working the past 3 days in a row, there is no denying it! Now I just need to find out how to get relief! So much pressure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"