1st Trimester

Telling boss I'm pregnant

Hi everyone,

I just need a bit of advice here...

So, I have only been at my company for 6 months. My due date is 12/1/15. I am terrified to tell my boss I am pregnant because they hired me to take a lot of the work off of some very overworked employees. Aside from that, we get a 6 month maternity leave here (PAID)! No way can I go skimps on that! I want the whole darn thing! :) I just have a feeling that my boss will not want me to take the whole thing and be disappointed that I am leaving so shortly after getting here. :(

I want to see a perfectly constructed, well written, cover all grounds sample email to a boss informing them of pregnancy. Any ideas where I can find this? Has anyone else gone through this?

Also, pregnancy brain gets me pretty hard...I fear I will lose my job from the ding-bat moments I am having. I am usually very sharp at work, but lately, I have baby on the brain and that's it! :((((((((( SO many things running through my head........

Re: Telling boss I'm pregnant

• There are several threads on this board about telling bosses about pregnancy, filled with useful advice for you. Try using the search feature or skim the boards a page or two back.
  • I hear and I feel you. I was PETRIFIED to tell one of my bosses because I had just started in September and had just bumped me to full time in January and we're getting into a crazy time of the year. I think you might be surprised as to what your boss's reaction might be. We tend to project our own paranoia onto other people which is why telling them is such a big deal. I told my boss and didn't even wait for a reaction and started going off on how it wasn't my intention for this to happen right after joining the company and that I didn't want to let anyone down and I'm so sorry and I don't want him to think that I'm just taking advantage of the company. But he actually cut me off and said-- Hey, life happens. You can't stop it from happening. This is an exciting thing. Have you seen the heart beat? How have you been coming into work this whole time with morning sickness? It completely surprised me and made me SO RELIEVED. So just have faith in them... and I don't recommend an email. It's too impersonal and just won't reflect the way you think it well. I'm a passive person so letters are my go to in hard situations, but you can't let informing your boss be one of them... Do it in person. 
  • Loading the player...
  • aavery258 said:

Hi everyone,

I just need a bit of advice here...

So, I have only been at my company for 6 months. My due date is 12/1/15. I am terrified to tell my boss I am pregnant because they hired me to take a lot of the work off of some very overworked employees. Aside from that, we get a 6 month maternity leave here (PAID)! No way can I go skimps on that! I want the whole darn thing! :) I just have a feeling that my boss will not want me to take the whole thing and be disappointed that I am leaving so shortly after getting here. :(

I want to see a perfectly constructed, well written, cover all grounds sample email to a boss informing them of pregnancy. Any ideas where I can find this? Has anyone else gone through this?

Also, pregnancy brain gets me pretty hard...I fear I will lose my job from the ding-bat moments I am having. I am usually very sharp at work, but lately, I have baby on the brain and that's it! :((((((((( SO many things running through my head........

Considering your length of employment are you sure you even qualify for the paid leave? That would my first thought. What are your plans after you have the baby? Returning to work? Will they hold your job during your leave? If I was you I would to talk to someone in HR and get tees answers first. You need to have a solid plan for what your plans are up until birth and then when you plan to return prior to talking to you boss but you also need to see what your entitled to.

• I don't know what a letter needs to include beyond the fact that you are pregnant and the dates you intend to start maternity leave, and return to work.

I agree to check with HR what you're actually entitled to.

Also I tend to tell my boss I'm pregnant in person (after my 12 week scan, but before I've started to show). Then put things in writing a bit further down the track.

I felt bad with this pregnancy, because my last two were timed perfectly with the end of the school year (I'm a teacher) and this one is awkwardly mid-term. I apologetically said to both my head of department, and principal, "yeah this one's a bit inconvenient, sorry." and they both without hesitation said, "who cares."

So you might be surprised at your bosses reaction, and either way they can grumble all they like, but you're pregnant and that's just the way it is.

Best wishes.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Thanks for the tips everyone. 

bb- Yes. I have looked into all of this even prior to conceiving. I am well aware of my benefits and how they apply to me. I will have been here a year in August and that covers me for FMLA. The issue is that my mat leave is 6 months. That worries me because I will feel bad about being gone so long, but not bad enough to not do it. That is the only concern...
  • I know what I am entitled to....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"