December 2014 Moms

Refusing bottle

I exclusively breastfeed, but have pumped so my husband can help with feedings or the grandparents can babysit. We've been doing this since the first week with no issue, until two days ago. He refused a bottle from my husband Sunday night and last night (just tongueing it and letting it spill out if his mouth), so my husband tried to take the first feeding today thinking he may be more relaxed...nope. He is nursing fine. I return to work on Monday so I'm a bit panicked. I will probably call a lactation consultant this afternoon but wanted to see if any of you had advice.

Re: Refusing bottle

• I would love to know what you find out in having the same thing. I EB and baby used to take the bottle once every few days like a champ now she does the same as your little one after a few min of screaming I have been giving in and just BF
  • My LO hates the bottle too. I EB and the most he eats from a bottle is 2 oz then screams. Then he'll BF with me no problem. I'm glad he prefers to BF but it would be nice to have a break once in a while.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine had trouble too, after I stopped giving him a bottle regularly. To get him back on it, I give him a bottle of freshly pumped milk early in the day when he's not hungry. I give him an ounce or so and then BF because I'm trying to freeze as much as possible. It's been going well. I do this every day so he's used to it. I do have to bounce him around as I walk around the house to keep him distracted. Hard work to hold this 14 lb baby with one. arm! And, he took a bottle well from Grandma when she babysat for Valentines Day, and that was the height of his refusing the bottle. She had the confidence plus I wasn't around worrying so that helped. I'll start increasing the amount I give him and maybe replace a feeding before I go back to work April 9.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My last 2 refused bottles that weren't warm enough.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • AnnlnAnnln member
    Same here! LO is 13 weeks now and has eaten from a bottle since she was one week old (pumped milk). Last week she suddenly refused to eat from a bottle, even if I'm not around. She starts daycare on Monday so I'm freaking out! Seems to be a common problem at around three months but still...
  • maybe the flow is not fast enough for them out of the bottle?  Have you upped the nipple to the next level?
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm having the same issue.  I started back to work this week and was really nervous about it.  She had taken the bottle before with limited success.  It seemed to depend who was giving it to her and when.  I tried different nipples and bottles, but ultimately didn't see any clear winner.  My mother-in-law is watching DD while I am at work.  Day one DD took the bottle, but didn't eat as much as I would like.  Yesterday was even worse!  She only drank about two ounces during the nine hours I was gone!  I was so worried, I just nursed her all evening and more during the night too.  I hear today is going better, so here's hoping this is just part of the adjustment period!  My lactation consultant said not to worry too much, that babies might fight the bottle but they won't starve themselves, and they will eventually come around.  I sure hope she's right!  I'm taking DD to another lactation support group meeting tomorrow evening to have her weighed and make sure she hasn't lost weight this week.
  • paigep8 said:

I exclusively breastfeed, but have pumped so my husband can help with feedings or the grandparents can babysit. We've been doing this since the first week with no issue, until two days ago. He refused a bottle from my husband Sunday night and last night (just tongueing it and letting it spill out if his mouth), so my husband tried to take the first feeding today thinking he may be more relaxed...nope. He is nursing fine. I return to work on Monday so I'm a bit panicked. I will probably call a lactation consultant this afternoon but wanted to see if any of you had advice.

Did you test the milk to make sure it was still good and didn't taste "off"?

Test
  • paigep8 said:

I did. It's still a battle, but if I give him my Breast for a couple seconds and then switch in the bottle, he takes it right away. It gets him sucking. I can't ask out nanny to offer her boob to him though. Haha. He took it from my husband tonight and an ounce in remembered he's refusing it and then stopped taking it. Pediatrician, night nurse we used, friends tell me he will take it when he gets hungry, but it breaks my heart to see him screaming
  • DD was taking one bottle daily fine since 5 weeks until one week before my maternity leave ended. She would fuss and scream and take forever to just eat an ounce or two.

Fortunately I was able to find a bottle that she would take. I googled "best bottles for breastfed babies" and found a few recommended bottles. We ordered the Lansinoh momma bottles and she took that nipple with no fuss! The nipple is shaped differently and looks more like a natural nipple compared to the medela one that I used to give her. I've been back to work for a week and half and I'm glad to report that she's been taking the bottle fine while I'm at work.
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • paigep8 said:

paigep8 said:

I did. It's still a battle, but if I give him my Breast for a couple seconds and then switch in the bottle, he takes it right away. It gets him sucking. I can't ask out nanny to offer her boob to him though. Haha. He took it from my husband tonight and an ounce in remembered he's refusing it and then stopped taking it. Pediatrician, night nurse we used, friends tell me he will take it when he gets hungry, but it breaks my heart to see him screaming
    So glad you didn't ask the nanny or your husband to whip out boob as an appetizer. ;)

Try putting a few drops of the milk on his mouth when he is crying. That was what was recommended to me.

Test
  • I'm having the same problem too! My son used to be able to take a bottle from anyone including myself until he hit his 2 months mark and he just flat out refused. I don't mind breastfeeding him since I'm a stay at home mom, but it'll be nice to skip at least 1 session so I can have some time to myself.

I've tried Avent, Tommee Tippee, Nuk and Comotomo. I'm not sure if I should up the teat level since he doesn't even want to suck. Tried all the tricks except letting him starve to give into the bottle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"