Success after IF

Super high beta...but healthy singleton? Anyone?

My beta at 10dp5dt was 822...by 14dp5dt it was 3897! I can't find anyone with betas this high and and scared to death of Down Syndrome. I don't want the screening bc it will only scare me anf I do not want to do an amnio.

Anyone have betas this high and a healthy singleton?

Re: Super high beta...but healthy singleton? Anyone?

• My beta at 16dpo was 1353 so that would be like 11dp5dt right? That's similar to your first beta. I didn't have another one after that. Your doubling time is within normal.. How many did you transfer?

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Just one...my only concern is chromosomal issues. Did you have a singleton @jesselayne8 ?
  • Loading the player...
  • And is he/she healthy?
  • My highest 11dp5dt was 617, very high for singleton, mid for twin.  I transferred only one and he was born, healthy and well.  Interestingly it was my lowest grade ("slowest") blast that produced my highest early hCG, albeit the value lags yours by a day and a half.  Due to RPL and age, I had screening prior to FET and -b/c I love information- also did the noninvasive b/w in early pg.

Congrats on BFP!  FX for your little one! 

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks...wish I coull just be happy. I've had 5 ultrasounds and he's been perfect. I just don't hoping that super high beta doesn't mean anything bad.
  • He is a healthy 21 month old boy!

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • That's great @Jesselayne8, did you do IVF or IUI? Everyone says I'll have a girl which is definitely fine, but a boy would be great!
  • I've never heard of high betas meaning chromosomal issues. I though high betas meant your uterus was working well. You can screen without doing an amnio. They only do an amnio if something comes back on the blood draw screen at 12 weeks. Sorry I can't remember what all the tests were.

Also many women on here have done both IVF and IUI and have had boys and girls.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• @CarrieB I asked about the boy vs girl bc many people claim (old wives tale I'm sure) that high betas equal girls. So it was interesting to see a boy. I asked her if she'd gone through ivf as apposed to IUI because sometimes IVF patient have higher betas. Not drastically higher, but marginally.

I prefer not to screen. In the event I have a positive, it may cause me unnecessary stress. My DH really is against it too bc he knows how I get. If my HCG was high, I imagine they'll just give a positive screen anyway.
  • I had high betas, but have twins. Two friends had nearly identical betas to mine, but had singleton girls. Another former member of this board had exceptionally high betas (if remember correctly, she was thinking triplets going into her first u/s) and had a healthy singleton. My SIL had very high betas, which resulted in a high risk screen on the NT scan. She did the amnio, which showed a healthy girl. Lots of stories of high betas! On the other hand, my sister had a son with DS and her betas were normal for a singleton.

If you are worried about the ambiguous results of the some of the older tests, what about a free cell DNA test? They screen for extra chromosomes in the blood, so your HCG level won't impact the results. They have crazy high accuracy rates (that's how my sister found out about her son's diagnosis). They are pricey if you aren't high risk, but it seems as though the worry is really difficult for you. Would it be worth it for peace of mind?
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• I think I'll be okay. it wouldn't change much.
  • SharonB222SharonB222 member
    edited March 2015

My son beat the odds.  Odds said he'd be a baby girl. ;)  Not only did he have a higher heart rate than my DD (old wives' tale?), but as I mentioned he was my lowest-graded blast.  (Studies show that most low-graded chromosomally-normal blasts are girls; that is why IVF traditionally has favored boys - by transferring the highest-graded blasts.)

After my TTC/RPL ordeal, during pg I didn't worry so much as I didn't embrace my pgs as I might have.  But I called that a "happy problem".  I'd rather have trouble not enjoying a pg, than not have a pg at all!  And now I get to love on and worry about my kids... which give me LOTS of happy problems.  Wishing you many happy problems! (in a good way)

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• Aww great! Thanks!
  • CarrieB. said:

I've never heard of high betas meaning chromosomal issues. I though high betas meant your uterus was working well. You can screen without doing an amnio. They only do an amnio if something comes back on the blood draw screen at 12 weeks. Sorry I can't remember what all the tests were.

Also many women on here have done both IVF and IUI and have had boys and girls.

There were a few people on PAIF when I went through there that had high betas and had healthy singletons. This just happened with an acquaintance of mine actually and she was convinced she was having triplets but there is just one healthy baby in there :) She didn't mention anything about a concern for chromosomal issues. 

The blood draw that the PP was talking about is called Free Cell DNA testing (MaterniT 21, Panarama, Harmony are some names of this test) . I had it done at 12 weeks, not because of high betas but because of a borderline neck fold on my NT scan and because my MFM just recommended it to me.  They just draw your blood and they can test for downs, trisomy 18 and 13 as well as Turner's Syndrome.  It is totally non invasive. You also get to find out if it is a boy or a girl early too from this test.  The test came back as normal, and my son was born healthy and the borderline high neck fold was nothing to worry about.  It was a nice relief though knowing everything was good at 13 weeks.  You could always request this test if you are going to worry your whole pregnancy.  I think peace of mind is priceless, especially after going through IF.   

FX for a healthy pregnancy and baby for you!  :)  Hang in there and try not to worry too much.  If your doctor isn't worried, you shouldn't be either. :) 
    ~~ All Welcome~~
    ME: 32, SER aggregates on eggs, anovulatory
    DH:  33, 2% morphology
    TTC #1 
    2 clomid cycles, 3 hybrid clomid/bravelle IUI's = 4 BFN/1 CP@ 5.5 weeks
    IUI #6 -Follitism IUI cycle converted to IVF and back to IUI-4 mature, 3 maybe mature = BFP!!   DS Born 9/2014
    TTC#2 
    IVF #1 9/15 Antagonist- 19 R 1F (Frozen day 1 @ 2PN stage) Diagnosed with SER aggregates in 13/19 eggs after failed fertilization
    IVF #2 11/15 Antagonist w/ICSI  (Higher stims & Letrosole added last minute on stim day 7)- 39R, 24M (20/24 SER free), 15F (14/15 SER free & all frozen @ 2PN stage) 
    FET#1 Cultured all 16- 2pn embryos to day 5- transferred 1 good hatching blast and 1 early blast on 1/28- None to freeze - beta 2/5

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"