November 2015 Moms

Cat with baby??

Me and my boyfriend got a cat from tge humane society around 4 months ago before we new we were pregnant. Now I'm hearing alot of different things about having the cat around the baby. Does anyone have experience with there cat and baby at home?

Re: Cat with baby??

• I had a cat when I brought my first home. I filled baby's crib with balloons for 2 months before baby was born and he jumped in the crib twice and bang bang bang he left the crib and baby alone!!!
  • Laurakat81Laurakat81 member
    edited March 2015
    We have 4 cats and they're fine. They won't "steal" your baby's breath if you've heard that OWT! Obviously, they shouldn't be allowed in the crib as they can be a suffocation hazard just like a stuffed animal or pillow would be but cats and babies get along just fine. And as with any animal I wouldn't leave them alone as cats can be aggressive if the baby were to pull it's tail or otherwise hurt him. And of course keep them updated on flea/tick/heart worm preventatives.

Yikes! Sorr for such a HUGE pic! This is the most recent picture I have of DD with her favorite kitty. They're outside "stalking prey" together. I have a ton of pictures of this one snuggled up with her on the couch or rocking chair.

2 of our cats LOVE her and don't mind her roughness. But one of them is just so playful he scratches her hands when she tries to play so we've had to teach her safe ways to play, like with a stick and string. One tolerates her and the other runs for dear life. We respect their personalities and make sure they feel safe and always have an escape (they're indoor/outdoor though so that's easy).

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • My two loved when we brought DD home, the one was happy then a pig in crap when DD started to crawl, because she'd bait DD to "chase" her around the house... It was awesome.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We have 3 cats and a large breed dog and we never had an issue with our little one coming home. Our cats took a while to get used to her, but they always left her alone. Now (2 years later) they want her to pet them and they let her rest on them.  Our dog was the same. He ran away from her for a good 6-8 months... then when she was eating solids he hung around to get whatever she would throw over the side. He follows her around and will bring her his ball. It's just about proper introductions and making sure the animals feel equally loved and not replaced.
  • I've read up on it a lot as I have two cats. They are not a concern around your baby. I love the balloon in the crib idea.

I'm guessing just close the door to the bedroom when sleeping? Is that what others have done?

Also, don't clean the litter box while pregnant. Get Dh to do that.
  • We have 2 cats and they were fine with DD. They were a little skeptical when we brought her home, but they mostly kept their distance at first. We still keep her bedroom door closed when she's sleeping.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• I was worried about my cat Alice being aggressive when I had kids..unfortunately she passed a few months ago..but we have 2 little dogs and then my mom has 2 cats and 3 dogs and I know her dogs will do fine but I'm not sure about her kitten..he's very crazy and unpredictable so I think I'm going to slowly introduce him to different baby stuff and see how he reacts..The other cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and he loves to be petted and just loves people so I'm not too worried about him..
  • The only thing I'm worried about is Toxoplasmosis whilst pregnant. You get that from the litter tray/cat poo and can cause miscarriage. Vet advised me to wear gloves and thoroughly wash hands after cleaning the tray.
  • We have 2 cats. They were always on my baby bump with my DD, they hated kids, but just kept their distance at first. They're super nice, and have come to love her now! They'll even sleep in bed with her sometimes. It's adorable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"