Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Sleep regression at 11mo?

MargotshaMargotsha member
edited February 2015 in Babies: 9 - 12 Months
I am in need of help. Since my girl was about 6 months old, she has slept like a boss in her crib in her room (we bed shared before). She would go to bed at 6:30 every night and sleep the whole way through. Then she turned 11 months and I'm not sure what has happened. It now takes almost an hour to put her down, and even after that, she wakes up 2x a night. I guess I made the mistake of never "putting her to sleep awake". We've done the same routine of bath, story, bottle and rocking chair. So, basically we cuddle and she'll sleep fine. The last week or so she'll wake up during the transfer to her crib and then we have to cuddle again until she is completely out. I tried last night to put her to bed, pat her back and walk away but it broke my heart. She'll stand at the edge of her crib and cry, so I lasted about 5 minutes until I went back in and spent 45 more minutes. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but has anyone else had this issue? How did your little one go to bed awake? Advice? Is this just a phase they go thru? Eventually I would love to just put her in her crib and she'll sleep without having to be out first. Trust me, I enjoy the cuddle time, but functioning after no sleep is waning.

image   image

Re: Sleep regression at 11mo?

• Has no one answered this? I would like to know too, as our 9 month old has similar issues...
  • It happens, you just have to deal with it and hope for it to be gone soon. I go through it sometimes and I just go with the flow, nothing that you can do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My son is almost 9 months old and has never been a good sleeper.  I have really been trying to tackle putting him down sleepy but awake.  My friend, who also has a non sleeping baby, suggested that I get in the crib with him while trying to make him learn how to fall asleep himself.  I know this is not feasible for everyone, but it has really helped us. 

I started out with him very drowsy and I laid down in the crib with him until he fell asleep.  Now I sit at the end of his crib so if he wants to lay his head down on my lap he can, but mostly he just falls asleep on his own.  I let him play and do the things he would do if I was not sitting in there so he learns that I won't force him to sleep but when he's tired he needs to lay down and go to sleep.  I think I am very close to being able to sit outside his crib while he falls asleep.  He still does not sleep through the night, but we have gone from waking every 1-2 hours to only once or twice a night. 

I know this is very unorthodox, but it has really been working.  I suggest that you practice getting in and out of the crib a couple times before you do it with the baby in it because it takes a little practice (especially getting out).  I am also careful about not doing it when I am having a hard time staying awake because I don't want to fall asleep in the crib.

Good luck and lets hope we all get a little sleep someday :) 

• jmarkert527jmarkert527 member
    edited March 2015
    6:30 seems pretty early for a bedtime. Have you tried putting her down later? Maybe she's just not tired yet. My daughter had similar sleep issues and we finally sleep trained her at 9 months. Our method was like a modified Ferber. We put her in the bed awake. No rocking or feeding to sleep. When she cries, let her hang out for 10 minutes, then come back and pick her up. Soothe her to the point she is no longer crying, and put her back down. Wait 10 minutes, repeat. Do the same when she wakes up in the middle of the night. The first night sucks but it gets better quickly. In 4 days she was going down with no crying and sleeping through the night. If 10 minutes is too long for you, you can start with 5 and work your way up. This method lets her know you are still there for her but that she can learn to fall asleep on her own. Hope you find a method that works for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"