Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding After Reduction? (BFAR)

About 12 years ago, I had a breast reduction.  Because of the amount I had removed, (from H to D) they removed my nipples during surgery and reattached them.  At the time, I was told I would never be able to breastfeed because the ducts had been severed.  Last night, during a pregnancy/birth care class at the hospital, the nurse leading the class suggested I talk to a Lactation Consultant to see if it's possible.  I've done a little bit of reading today about the subject, and it seems there are plenty of women who have had breast/nipple surgery and gone on to succesfully breastfeed their babies.  Have any of you mommies had any experience in this, successful or not?

CafeMom Tickers

Re: Breastfeeding After Reduction? (BFAR)

• My surgery was about 16 years ago, but my nipples were left intact/in place, so it is going to depend how much of the other necessary tissues are still connected (I'm due in May).  I'm going to see an LC at my next appointment to start planning how to get things going, hopefully successfully.  My OB said she currently has 2 women that had reductions & are fully breast feeding with no supplementing, so I'm hopeful!  I think working with the LC is about all I can do for now.  I am holding off buying a breast pump though until I see if I will need one or not (I'll just rent to start).  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"