October 2015 Moms

Anyone else have a terrible taste in their mouth all the time?

volimte11volimte11 member
edited March 2015 in October 2015 Moms
I always have a bad taste in my mouth and I heard it was a side effect of pregnancy, but how can you reduce or get rid of it because sucking on mints doesn't help.

Re: Anyone else have a terrible taste in their mouth all the time?

• YES!!! I have no idea how to get rid of it but it's driving me nuts. I had it with my son too.
  • I use mouth wash all the time. I'm considering keeping a small bottle on me when I'm out.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have it as well I read several articles that say to rinse with salt water or to munch on pickles or olives or to sip the olive/pickle juice I tried those things they work great you just have to do it often.
  • Yes I too have this annoying taste especially after eating certain things
  • I have that too. I hope it goes away soon.
  • I've had this with both pregnancies and the only solution was lemon. However, I just discovered that Starburst jelly beans help me! I think it's because they're tangy. GL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

TTC since July 2011

BFP # 1: m/c at 7wks (EDD May 2012) 

BFP #2: c/p in Nov. 2012 

BFP #3: July 24th, 2013 (EDD April 4th, 2014)

*PgAL / PAL Always Welcome*

My Ovulation Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

• Yes! I chew minty gum all day
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Me too ! And I have no clue how to get rid of it ! :((
  • Ahhhh yes!!! And it gets sooo much worse cause I have a partial denture (I wont even sleep with it in, the weird taste is too much for me to handle!) Im not really keen on mint atm, but will def give jelly beans and lemons a try :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes its awful! Had it with previous pregnancies too. I just keep drinking of eating tbh. Have mini lemon sherberts in my pocket always xx
  • I've had that metallic taste as well, since about week 5 (currently 11w1d) and it is probably my most frustrating symptom. Water makes me gag and so do even the smell of mints! I have found that squeezing 2 lemon wedges in warm/hot-ish water helps me a LOT. The slight acidity is great and the warm water absorbs the lemon really good. I also noticed that if I'm slightly hungry this metallic taste (and nausea) is amplified, so I try to snack or eat every couple hours to keep it at bay. I'd say I've been moderately successful. Hang in there ladies, it's a crazy ride but I'm told it's well worth it at the end ;) Goodluck
  • Haribo gummy bears help the mouth taste for me. 
    BFP on 1/27/11 - EDD 10/7/11 - M/C on 2/21/11 @ 7w3d
    BFP on 11/3/11 - EDD 07/6/12 - DD born 6/27/12 via c-section 
    BFP on 1/31/15 - EDD 10/9/15 -- Beta #1 @ 17dpo: 394, Beta #2 @ 20dpo: 1604 (35 hour doubling time!), Beta #3 @ 24dpo: 5287
    1st ultrasound 2/19 6w6d - strong heartbeat and measuring perfectly!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I get that weird taste in ny mouth a early as 6 weeks. My doctor said it's related to my morning sickness. No real help on how to make go away. I had our with my last pregnancy and it last till after the second trimester.
  • OMG I get that every time I eat it's the worst! The only thing that takes mine away is almonds believe it or not! I just eat a couple when I feel the nasty taste coming on and it takes it completely away!
  • I have the same thing. It's like a weird taste but my mouth also feels dry. I have been vomiting a lot still (14.5 weeks). Did it go away when you stopped with the sickness or just randomly on its own?
  • I had this with my first pregnancy but not this time around (thank goodness!). For me, it was like a metallic/copper taste, like I licked a penny or something! I sucked on sour hard candies to mask the weird taste.

• All the time. I bought a bag of Yummy Earth hard candies and they help out.
  • Yes! I'd describe it as metallic... At first I thought it was hypervitaminosis (from taking prenatal vitamins, folic supplement, iron
  • supplement, calcium supplement). But after research I found out it's a common pregnancy symptom. I just try to mask it with anything sweet.
  • I found that sugar actually makes this MUCH worse for me. The only thing that seems to make it better is staying super hydrated. I put a splash of lemon juice in my water and drink like a gallon a day. When the taste gets bad I know I need to drink more water.
  • Totally. Mine happens after I drink milk and after I eat sweet things. Mentos seem to mask it temporarily, but it has definitely lessened in frequency and severity lately (18 weeks today) so I'm hopeful it might go away altogether?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes.... I'm in the same boat. I also have the metallic taste. It makes me sick!