LGBT Parenting

Any IUI tips or tricks?

Hi everyone.

I'm going to be going in for IUI #3 shortly, and I was hoping to draw on the vast amounts of IUI experience on this board for some tips or tricks to make it go smoother. For my 2nd IUI, I had a pretty bad reaction. I'll spare you guys the details, but basically I had some very intense cramps and wasn't able to actually make it the recommended 20 minutes laying down since I had to rush to the restroom. I can't help but think that might have interfered with the chance of the IUI working. Googling symptoms made me think it was a prosto-glandin reaction, but the doctor said it sounded like a vaso-vagal reaction.

So I'm hoping that some of you have figured out some tricks to avoid a bad reaction.  My doc already recommended 600mg of ibuprofen, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do. Any recommendations on things to eat/not eat beforehand, do/not do, etc?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Me: 28 DW: 28

Together since 5/30/02. Married since 8/31/08

IUI#1 - 12/13/13 = BFN

IUI#2 - 1/22/14 = BFN

IUI#3 - 2/21/14 = BFN

IUI#4 - 3/23/14

Re: Any IUI tips or tricks?

• I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to say good luck and I certainly hope things go better for you this time!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• I wouldn't take Advil - that can interfere with implantation.  Try Tylenol instead.

I'm so sorry you had pain... I did, too, for my first IUI.  But I discovered the reason: it was very poorly timed.  When IUIs aren't timed right, it can be painful because your cervix isn't low and open like it is around ovulation.  Are you going through an RE or an OBGYN?  I ask because my first was with an OBGYN and it was terrible.  I moved on to an RE (while more expensive, they have higher expertise and can do it better).

Anyway, good luck to you!  I hope this time will be less painful!

• Loading the player...
  • No tips here... But I do want to say that the IUI I became pregnant from was the worst. It was painful, I was practically laying on my head for them to try and get into my cervix, it took 45 minutes... It was kinda terrible. But, it resulted in out take home baby and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! And third times a charm, we became pregnant on our 3rd IUI. I hope the third will be the one for you also.
    Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
  • Thanks, @wishiwaspreggo. I thought the cervix was supposed to be high when you're fertile? My first IUI was actually a lot easier because we went in too early (I had an early LH surge without ovulation) and my cervix was easy to find.

I'm not using an RE currently, but I think we might switch to one after we use up our stock at our current place. I like them a lot, but after 4 tries I'll be ready to try anything to improve our chances.

And thanks for the good luck wishes @JGY and @mwagner25!

IUI#1 - 12/13/13 = BFN

IUI#2 - 1/22/14 = BFN

IUI#3 - 2/21/14 = BFN

IUI#4 - 3/23/14

• mwagner25....I had the same thing. The IUI that worked was my worst! It was on try #4

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• SweetPea0307...I would suggest acupuncture. I don't think it helps with the medical issue, but it can help ease stress

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Thanks for the suggestion @shelly2314. I have to say, the thought of being stuck with a bunch of needles kind of stresses me out, but maybe I can get over it.

IUI#1 - 12/13/13 = BFN

IUI#2 - 1/22/14 = BFN

IUI#3 - 2/21/14 = BFN

IUI#4 - 3/23/14

• I am a serious needle-phobic! I almost pass out whenever I get blood drawn, flu shots, etc so I was beyond terrified of acupuncture. It did not bother me at all and the Dr that does my acupuncture was informed well beforehand and she is extremely gentle

• My first was a nightmare...I could barely make it back to the car with DWs help. The second one I had psyched myself up so much about the pain I didn't sleep the night before and was like shaking on the table...by the third I just try to control my breathing like in yoga and focus on something else! Just breathe and breather and breathe and stare at something and try not to think about it. Good luck!

Me-33 DW-29
    together since 2009
    Married since 6/14/13 
    1st IUI (clomid+ovidrel) 10/14/13... BFP 10/26/13...                                                         
    EDD 7/1/14 ...MMC 11/22/13...D&C 11/25/13

2nd IUI (clomid+ovidrel) 1/15/14...BFN 

3rd IUI (unmedicated) 2/12/14...BFN
    4th IUI (clomid + ovidrel) 3/10/14...BFN
    home ICI (unmedicated) 4/4/14...BFN
    home ICI (unmedicated) 5/2 & 5/3...BFN
    5th & 6th IUI (clomid + ovidrel) 5/28 & 5/29...BFN
    7th & 8th IUI (follistim & ovidrel) 6/24 & 6/25....BFN

**all are welcome**

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

Daisypath Friendship tickers

• I ended up doing 5 IUIs (changing clinics halfway through) and finally conceived a boy on the final try before IVF. If you are interested in others results, I created an anonymous survey. Good luck with your cycle! HTTPS://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZBHFST
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • We always brought a blanket from home and tucked it up under my hips/bottom afterward. We were encouraged for me to have a decent orgasm during that 20 min stretch after. That was pretty fun! I also did acupuncture from almost 6 months prior to conception to help with blood flow to the uterus and egg quality. We got pregnant on the third iui.
  • We just did 1 IUI and I didn't find it so bad. My doc only told me to wait 10-15 minutes with the full bladder. I made it 12. I just kept telling myself it was for the baby. Yikes. I'm sorry yours have been so painful! My doc had me do pregnyl a couple days before to increase my chances as well as clomid, though I'm actually pretty fertile. Are you on any medications? If not I would ask so you can hopefully take away some of the guesswork.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"