May 2015 Moms
Options

Restless legs syndrome help!

I'm having the worst restless leg syndrome all of a sudden. I tried laying down for a nap this evening and couldn't stop the urge to move my legs. Of course it's after my doc office is closed. What are some things that have worked for you if you struggled with this your third trimester? I don't want to take anything but I'm desperate to try something so I can get some sleep tonight.

Re: Restless legs syndrome help!

• Options
    Honestly there is nothing you can do. Look into stretching and put a pillow between your legs. Basically my doc said to deal with it :(
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I've tried everything! Weirdly enough, eating a yogurt before bed has helped. I read that extra calcium makes a difference, so i tried it and it seemed to help. On the nights I can't stand it my doctor said it would be okay to take Tylenol PM.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Start taking iron supplements. I had the worst restless legs and my dr advised me to take iron pills on top of my daily vitamin. Within two days, I have never had an issue with them again. Try it!
  • Options
    A calcium magnesium supplement called Natural Calm helps me immensely. Available on Amazon.
  • Options
    Hmm none of this stuff worked for me. You ladies are lucky. The only thing I can say is don't take meds you don't need. Tylenol pm? I will suffer with my aches and pains. You don't no what that stuff can do to baby. My doc also told me unisom but no thank you.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Thank you all so much.  Luckily I have an appointment on Monday so I can talk to my doctor about it and see what I can take.  Its just going to be a LONG weekend.  :(  Again thanks so much!!

• Options

A calcium magnesium supplement called Natural Calm helps me immensely. Available on Amazon.

Also available at cvs (or am I thinking of Calms Forte)?
  • Options
    I've had it since before I knew I was pregnant, it's horrid. Google all the old wives tales and try them all. What works for one might not work for another.

I find a bath and massage helps sometimes but usually I just have to get up and move about.
  • Options
    I stopped taking my daily Claritin and just relied on my allergy eye drops, which helped a lot. I still have it but it isn't nearly as bad.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!!  I actually recently started Claritin after getting a cold/allergies my doc recommended it.  But Ill stop it tonight and going forward and see if it helps.  Ill also look up the old wives tales.  Thank you again!
  • Options
    at least a 30 min walk per day, and then tylenol pm and a heating pad if it gets super annoying

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    This might seem weird... But i just wiggle my toes for 30 seconds or so and then relax.. And then i can sleep lol
  • Options
    Calcium magnesium! I use Calm.
  • Options
    Oh my god I have this it's so frustrating!!! Making sure to stretch before bed and having relaxation time for yourself so that to calm your body has helped me.Taking enough potassium and magnesium as RLS is to do with lack of these minerals. I was also told the other day to drink tonic water to help if I'm getting cramping too. It's so important to make sure you are doing 30mins exercise a day to give you muscles a lil workout so they aren't so restless too, but don't forget to stretch after and stay hydrated. Other than that some times you just gotta deal with it, it's part of pregnancy :(. But don't worry I feel for you :( I've had a fantastic pregnancy but the RLS has been driving me crazy!
  • Options
    The Burt's Bees mama bee peppermint leg and foot cream really helped me with this! It improves circulation and the cooling feeling really seemed to sooth and help my legs feel more calm! Which sounds hilarious to say but it was a lifesaver for me my last pregnancy! I haven't had any problems yet this time around but I will definitely use it again if they pop up.
  • Options
    My doctor put me on a magnesium supplement (500 mg). It helps some.
  • Options
    I'm currently in the same boat! I have a heating pad on low against my leg as we speak. So far so good!
  • Options
    Hanging out in the hot tub works but if you don't have access ask your s/o to rub them before bed. Both are temp fixes but it gets me relaxed enough for at least a little sleep.
  • Options
    Iron supplements helped me a ton!
  • Options
    I get RLS horribly but only since my last trimester and taking magnesium (250mg x2 a day) which my midwife recommend, has helped so much! And lots of water!
  • Options
    As soon as I feel it starting I get up and stretch. Nothing crazy just bending over and leaning on something. Try moving side to side and different positions. It usually will work it out for me. Good luck RLS is the pits!
  • Options
    The only cure is drinking 8-12 ounces of water then taking a quick walk followed by some some serious stretching. Especially focus on stretching your hips, it's really where it stems from. Even if you wake up to pee and can't go back to sleep because of it then walk around the house. I promise, it's worth the 30 minutes lack of sleep opposed to the 3 hours lack of sleep. As if we really sleep anymore.. Hope it helps. Know you're not at all alone.
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the information and ideas.
  • Options
    Also drink your 64 ounces a day!!! Staying hydrated helps!! I'm having the same problem and started taking iron pills too.
  • Options
    It seems my RLS always acts up an hour or so before bed.  I think lots of water has helped but I also found if I lay back a bit and my husband holds my feet and I move my legs like I'm pedaling a bike that helps, too.  Kinda tires them out a bit. 
  • Options
    I have this too. I had it horribly with my last pregnancy also. The only thing that worked for me was organic un sulphured black strap molasses and steaming hot baths before bed. Seriously. I put a couple teaspoons and up to a tablespoon in my only cup of coffee in the morning( yes I still drink coffee in the morning only and only one) but you could also put it in hot tea which I've also started doing at night in addition to the dose in the morning. It has been a life savor for me. It took about 24 hours to build up in my system but as long as I take some everyday I'm not bothered with the RLS. The molasses has vitamin b6( a lot of people are deficient in) along with potassium calcium and iron. It has to be un sulphured molasses, preferably organic unsulphured black strap molasses( I found it on eBay) I bought the brand wholesome sweeteners. If I am still bothered it's mostly at night and minimal so I will make a hot cup of tea with the molasses added and take a hot bath and then go straight to bed. That gives me the relief to fall asleep. I hope this helps. Mine was so bad before this I would get up and pace all night long. On top of being too uncomfortable with pregnancy to sleep I was exhausted and falling apart at the seams. I researched RLS and ran across some blogs about the molasses treatment. I tried it and cried because it was the first time I had been able to sleep in weeks. Search the Internet for RLS and the molasses and research it to see if it's right for you.
  • Options
    Tonic water:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"