Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Soft Serve/Listeria - So angry!

Hi there,

I have not been on the Bump for quite some time (even then I was mostly a lurker) but need to pose a question to you to maybe ease my anxiety? See if anybody had a similar story that turned out okay? My anxiety is running pretty hight right now.

I have an 8 1/2 month old baby girl and while babysitting today, the grandparents decided to "treat" her to a "taste" of the soft serve ice cream they had picked up from a nearby Dairy Queen. I am now freaking out that A) they would do that regardless of dangers and B) that soft serve ice cream is a no no for pregnant women so must be a no no for infants as well, right? Apparently they gave her about a 1/4 of a teaspoon and no more than 1/2 for sure, they say, but that could probably be enough to hurt a baby...even one as big as mine. Haha.

I've called our local healthline and was told not to worry as it wasn't a concern "at all", though the nurse seemed pretty clueless. I have a well baby check scheduled in a week, so if she shows zero symptoms before then I will bring it up at the appointment, but in the meantime, as parents with children of a similar age, would you be as worried as I am? Does anybody have a similar story that turned out okay? Need I drive myself crazy for the next two months watching for signs of Listeriosis?

Thanks for any response to the matter!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Soft Serve/Listeria - So angry!

• No, I would not be worried. You've got a better chance of contracting Listeria from the fruits and vegetables that you eat.

Let your kid have a taste of ice cream. This is not worth freaking out over.
  • I think you are over- reacting. Big time.

The chances of Listeria is next to none, and I have never heard that pregnant women need to stay away from frozen yogurt.

Do you eat yogurt, cottage cheese, soft cheeses, deli meat, etc?

• Loading the player...
  • Dude, chill out. Your kid got ice cream it's not apocalypse now... :|

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Hi there,

I have not been on the Bump for quite some time (even then I was mostly a lurker) but need to pose a question to you to maybe ease my anxiety? See if anybody had a similar story that turned out okay? My anxiety is running pretty hight right now.

I have an 8 1/2 month old baby girl and while babysitting today, the grandparents decided to "treat" her to a "taste" of the soft serve ice cream they had picked up from a nearby Dairy Queen. I am now freaking out that A) they would do that regardless of dangers and B) that soft serve ice cream is a no no for pregnant women so must be a no no for infants as well, right? Apparently they gave her about a 1/4 of a teaspoon and no more than 1/2 for sure, they say, but that could probably be enough to hurt a baby...even one as big as mine. Haha.

I've called our local healthline and was told not to worry as it wasn't a concern "at all", though the nurse seemed pretty clueless. I have a well baby check scheduled in a week, so if she shows zero symptoms before then I will bring it up at the appointment, but in the meantime, as parents with children of a similar age, would you be as worried as I am? Does anybody have a similar story that turned out okay? Need I drive myself crazy for the next two months watching for signs of Listeriosis?

Thanks for any response to the matter!

This is probably the biggest over reaction I have seen on here. Seriously unclench some or parenting is going to eat you alive.

• I had a blizzard once a week while I was pregnant. And miraculously my LO was just fine.

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"