March 2015 Moms
Options

What to pack!?

what should I pack for the hospital for myself and baby? Also what kinda bad of pads did you guys use after birth? Do you really need the super thick ones?

Best Answer

• Options
    Zoey1309Zoey1309 member
    Answer ✓
    Clothes to wear home, snacks, toiletries, towel, pillow, camera. They will supply pads for you at the hospital, but you will need the super thick ones for at home. You will bleed a lot!

Answers

• Options
    Yes, you need the maxi pads. At least a package. I didn't bleed too much with my first but I used the maxi pads for a couple days and then went down to medium and light.

I packed for myself ,..

Snacks
    Water (I'm doing a birthing center and they don't provide food)
    Change of clothes (comfortable pajama like clothes. You'll still look pregnant and be ouchy down there, don't forget)
    Nursing Bra
    Travel sized toiletries, including some basic makeup
    Socks
    Nursing pads
    Nipple cream

Baby -
    I just packed a diaper bag with what I would carry on a daily basis for a newborn. Burp cloth, change of clothes, some diapers, Swaddle blanket, diaper ointment ...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    To add I like yoga pants for the hospital instead of pjs- the yoga pants will hold the pads, ice etc a little tighter which I think makes everything post birth feel better. You don't really need to pack anything aside from a going home outfit for baby. The hospital will supply diapers, blankets, t shirts which is all baby really needs right away.
  • Options
    I second the yoga pants. I guess for me that's my pjs haha. That's what I have packed :)
  • Options
    I heard a good suggestion to pack a roll of soft toilet paper. Not something I would've thought of but definitely doing! Can't imagine using that sandpaper at the hospital after delivery when you're all sore or even torn.
  • Options
    @Bostonchelle - I love the idea of using yoga pants instead!

I plan on packing comfy clothes for myself. Travel size of shampoo and conditioner. Nipple butter. Brush. Lotion. Chapstick. Camera. Snacks. Charger. Few outfits for baby. Burp cloth. Swaddle blanket.
  • Options
    @aprilk86 i packed soft toilet paper and Charmin Wet Wipes too for the first little bit. Those I've heard help a lot for comfort while wiping!
  • Options
    Agree, leave the TP at home and don't forget the squirt bottle when you head home from the hospital.
  • Options
    I agree with the towel/ pillow/ blanket suggestion. I almost didn't bring them but it turned out to be the best decision ever. The towels are ridiculously small. I brought a pillow for my husband but he froze sleeping under the window and really wished for another blanket.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Something else to think about- if you are breast feeding you will get very sore. That first shower can be painful for sore nipples and swilled breasts. I packed a bikini top to wear in the shower to protect my boobs from the shower spray. Worked like a charm.

Also, when you are done with the fancy squirt bottle they give you, it makes a fantastic shower for baby. I use it to spray her off and am able to keep water off her umbilical stump yet still get her rinsed very nicely.
  • Options
    I just got home today & honestly used very little from the bag I packed for myself. I wore a robe from home after delivery, the gowns at the hospital fit so poorly that I felt exposed even when I was covered. On the TP note, I haven't "wiped" since birth, just the squirt bottle rinse & a pat dry. I used the provided toothe brush, tooth paste & rinse...they weren't great, but they work. I had taken a towel, but opted to just shower when I got home because it would feel more normal than trying to use the tiny shower at the hospital. For the baby I just used her coming home outfit, but used the bag to take home stuff from the hospital
  • Options
    Everything everyone else said, not sure if anyone mentioned slippers ?
    After I started walking after my c section I was so glad to have soft comfy slippers to walk in and not those hospital socks.
    And yes.... Snacks !!! I wasn't crazy about all the hospital food, so having my own snacks were nice, plus it was good for the visitors who spent a long time too. I just took nuts, granola bars, stuff like that. So glad I did
  • Options
    Yes to slippers! And flip flops for the shower or for a walk around the unit. Our hospital has an outdoor garden and small play area for kids and only for maternity families. It was lovely to slip on my flip flops and take baby and our older kids out for a bit of fresh air.

Yoga pants or leggings are amazing for post delivery. I just paired mine with a baggy shirt and for coming home a shirt dress type thing. Super comfy, lightweight and holds everything in where it needs to be. Might be different for a c-section mama though.
  • Options
    Just had my dd on the 6th and I ended up needing an emergency csection in the end and stayed 5 nights. I didn't plan for this obviously. My husband and I learned to overpack for hubby and under pack for you and baby. Stuff of my own that I used... Toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, razor & gel, (hubby shaved my legs because I was desperate), headbands for when you are sweating and pushing and recovering, loose fitting pj pants and a tank top to come home in, and that was pretty much it. I used everything they gave me... mesh underwear, pads, squirt bottle (still needed that because I tried vaginally first), hospital gown and socks. I felt so gross and so much is happening down there, I just thought it best to dirty the hospital stuff (towels included) instead of my own.

For baby, I just needed clothes to take her home and I brought the boppy to nurse her on which I recommend. They had diapers and wipes for her.

Husband -- quite a few changes of clothes, blanket, pillow. Plan for being there days in case you are.

One thing I wasn't prepared for was how bad I would swell. My feet, legs, and knees were massive! I had to wear the hospital socks home. Bring some slippers that are extra roomy. :)

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    It may be a good plan to check in with your hospital and find out what they normally supply. Our hospital only supplied A small number of blankets and was difficult to get the spray bottle.
  • Options
    Bring a notepad and pen (or two). 
    You might want to write down:
    * notes for when the doctors or nurses come by
    * who sent what gifts since you probably won't remember
    * feeding/ diapers for baby
    * names of the great people who work there so you can thank them later or mention them in your post-stay phone call (my hospital calls to see how everything went and if you had any concerns)

• Options
    Comfortable loose fitting clothes
    Socks
    Towel
    Toiletries
    Chapstick
    Cell phone charger
    Pillow

For baby
    Diaper bag
    Outfit(s)
    Socks
    Hats
    Baby wipes
    The hospital provides diapers and formula if needed.
  • Options
    @jessica973 you forgot to add the hand mittens for baby so they don't scratch their face with the nails.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"